Dimarzio's defending their double cream

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Big John, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

edited for being out of step with the thread.

I'll say this: I'm a dimarzio guy, but I do wish you the best of luck with the litigation, Wolf. More people making more pickups in more colors helps everyone

2. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

The guitars themselves have nothing to do with it, and everything to do with this portion of the statement which I posted earlier.

Before Dimarzio's claimed Feb 1974.

[​IMG]

Oh, and looky here. Here's a guitar being sold with exposed bobbins in 1972. At least three bleeding years before the legal existence of Dimarzio.

[​IMG]

3. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

That makes sense. Nice find and research.

4. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

Exactly. No company should be able to try to monopolize and entire area of a market. Apple makes things that are only compatible with their own products. They FORCE you to buy their brand. Plus I am an android user when it comes to cell phones and IPhones are consistently about 3 or more years behind android products, but the sheeple will continue to buy them "because everyone else buys them." If there is an entire store dedicated to replacing your cell phone screen, I want no part of it. :facepalm:

This brings me back around to Dimarzio... To trademark something that you did not come up with is just shady, and this litigation is long overdue!

5. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Like. Like so much.

6. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

No way were Dimarzios & super distortions well known before about 1975/76. That date of 1972 is BS.

I remember reading an Ace Frehley interview from about 1975 when they asked him what pickups be used and he said "its a really hot pickup wound by Larry Dimarzio".

He did not refer to it as a super distortion, nor did he refer to the company name, just Larry. That would indicate that everything regarding Dimarzio as a company & his pickup designs was still in the embryonic stages.

This is the guitar/pickups Ace was referring to.

[​IMG]

I hope Dimarzio loses. I have no ill will against them as a company but their patent over the double cream is and has always been BS.

I would support Dimarzio's claim if it were for those hexagonal screws, to me, that is a distinctly Dimarzio look. But to claim ownership of double cream is just BS.

7. woolenmammoth

woolenmammoth Senior Member

the *only* thing this is indicative of is what a musician once told a reporter remembered by a third party and absolutely not one thing beyond that. The quality of clear, concise, fact based evidence in this thread should not be muddied by conjecture.

8. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

well duh.

I was simply describing the way Dimarzio was being perceived by working musicians in the mid 70s.

9. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

I would support that as well.

FWIW, I have the editor of of of the magazine from the 1970's, that advertisements was claimed in, looking through his archives for any indication of ads between Feb 74 and Sept 75.
    The earliest ad we can still find in Sept 75 Guitar Player.

10. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

they understand how much filing a suit against DiMarzio would cost and how many double cream pickups they'd have to sell to break even. think of that in terms of years.... Cathy and Henry aren't spring chickens, you know.

easier for them to wait and to let their competition take the hit, not have to do the leg work, and then be in line to cash in with little/no effort spent.

listen to the Lutherist podcast from a few days back. within the first 15 minutes Perry Ormsby talks about how the Duncan company has treated him. some might say that Cathy isn't running her company in the same spirit as when Seymour was actively there. hardly as dramatic and theatrical as the double cream issue, but some people might not consider one any more or less an angel than the other.

11. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I have to admit, I love my late '70s SD/PAF set and the Twang King sets I own.
    I haven't bought any new pickups in around 15 years. If I recall, the last three sets were a set of Joe Barden "Danny Gatton", Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele set, and a set of Harmonic Designs Z-90s.
    Should I decide to change anything, I'd go with a current custom winder. Dimarzio is not even a consideration, there are so many choices now that were not available then.
    With all the evidence presented here, a reasonable court (good luck) should revoke the Trade Mark.
    Best of luck to you all!

12. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

re:..."Blow by Blow" [1975] ... "original pickups were exchanged for Gibson humbuckers"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_lAy1sGMys[/ame]

13. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

Some-diety-on-a-pogostick! That '54 tele is amazingly loud and beautiful sounding both plugged and unplugged!

14. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I wish Seymour would trade/sell/give Jeff his Esquire back. :(

15. Wraptail

Wraptail MLP Vendor

"Like"

16. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

Then SD should want to trade it back if Jeff asks.

17. joesatch

joesatch Senior Member

it would seem Dimarzio would be well served to just charge a $5 royalty per double cream pickup. That way we can buy any brand double cream we want and Dimarzio gets their money, in the end everyone is happy.

18. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

It's not a patent.

EDIT: I guess you can license a trademark, too. Nevermind.

[​IMG]

19. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I see what you're saying, but unfair taxes still deserve Boston Tea Parties.

As I understand it, they don't offer licensing. Not that they can't. They just don't.

20. joesatch

joesatch Senior Member

That's their loss because there are ways around it, like buying from Bareknuckle or other boutique makers.