Dimarzio conversion?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Eric R, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Eric R

Eric R Member

Ok, so,... see the attachments.

HFH1.JPG HFH2.JPG

2. Eric R

Eric R Member

My workday ends in about 10 minutes. I am superstoked to plug in this guitar tonight! :)

3. Eric R

Eric R Member

So, last Friday I have tested it thouroly and here are my findings.

The converted pickup basicly sound awsome!! nothing wrong with it. cleans are clean as I love to hear it. Lead tones are just what i was aiming for.
    Clear but round and nice rolling drive sound. (video will follow)
    Pickup works and sounds just like I rememberd from the last time it was in my guitar.

But then,... It could be that back in the days I used a bridge pickup with less output or the HFH has dropped output from the conversion.
    When I switch from bridge to neck, a very noticable drop in output occures.
    Also when I split the humbucker to single, it drops a lot in output.

Funny thing though is that when both pickups are in single mode, the guitars sounds very funky, almost stratlike.

4. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

I'm really busy right now but let's try to answer.

Glad to read that you're happy with the result. As your conversion has not much modified the pickup finally, it seems logical to have it sounding close to its stock version.

The HFH has a weaker output once splitted than with its coils in series? Once again, pretty logical.

The drop in output with the HFH might be diminished thanks to a double thick magnet... but it would require longer screws to hold the bobbins on the baseplate and might contribute to unwanted side effects (like the tendency to squeal that I mentioned above).

FWIW. You could also and simply use a compressor or a clean preamp to obtain a similar level from your two pickups...

Enjoy!

5. Eric R

Eric R Member

So, i've been busy lately. Did have a gig with the goldtop.
    Went crazy!! but at high volumes I did found myself quite irritated on the lack of output compared to what I am used to with the Bluesbucker.

I spoke with a friend, wich has his own pro studio. We will shoot some material soon. After that my journy on this conversion will come to an end.

Lessons learned, had a blast, time to move on. Get back to being a musician en play my guitar again.

6. Eric R

Eric R Member

Here are 2 pictures of the gig last monday night.

Gig lazarus 1 bw.jpg Gig Lazarus 2.jpg