Dimarzio conversion?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Eric R, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Eric R

Eric R Member

Ok, so,... see the attachments.

HFH1.JPG HFH2.JPG

2. Eric R

Eric R Member

My workday ends in about 10 minutes. I am superstoked to plug in this guitar tonight! :)

3. Eric R

Eric R Member

So, last Friday I have tested it thouroly and here are my findings.

The converted pickup basicly sound awsome!! nothing wrong with it. cleans are clean as I love to hear it. Lead tones are just what i was aiming for.
    Clear but round and nice rolling drive sound. (video will follow)
    Pickup works and sounds just like I rememberd from the last time it was in my guitar.

But then,... It could be that back in the days I used a bridge pickup with less output or the HFH has dropped output from the conversion.
    When I switch from bridge to neck, a very noticable drop in output occures.
    Also when I split the humbucker to single, it drops a lot in output.

Funny thing though is that when both pickups are in single mode, the guitars sounds very funky, almost stratlike.

4. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

I'm really busy right now but let's try to answer.

Glad to read that you're happy with the result. As your conversion has not much modified the pickup finally, it seems logical to have it sounding close to its stock version.

The HFH has a weaker output once splitted than with its coils in series? Once again, pretty logical.

The drop in output with the HFH might be diminished thanks to a double thick magnet... but it would require longer screws to hold the bobbins on the baseplate and might contribute to unwanted side effects (like the tendency to squeal that I mentioned above).

FWIW. You could also and simply use a compressor or a clean preamp to obtain a similar level from your two pickups...

Enjoy!

5. Eric R

Eric R Member

So, i've been busy lately. Did have a gig with the goldtop.
    Went crazy!! but at high volumes I did found myself quite irritated on the lack of output compared to what I am used to with the Bluesbucker.

I spoke with a friend, wich has his own pro studio. We will shoot some material soon. After that my journy on this conversion will come to an end.

Lessons learned, had a blast, time to move on. Get back to being a musician en play my guitar again.

6. Eric R

Eric R Member

Here are 2 pictures of the gig last monday night.

Gig lazarus 1 bw.jpg Gig Lazarus 2.jpg

7. Eric R

Eric R Member

So, it has been a while now. Had a busy time with recording with my band, shooting the official music video.

And there we have it, the music video where the goldtop with the pickup is not shown but all the "cleans" on my side are actualy this pickup in this goldtop. The Les Paul shown in the video is the actual guitar I recorded the solo with. Needed a more creamy neckpickup sound for the recording.
    This is actualy a Bluesbucker by Dimarzio. So,.. in retrospect, the from hell is a less output pickup with more high frequency's

That "briliance" in the from hell was exactly what i needed for the cleans on this song's recordig.

Has been recorded using a T-rex Mudhoney with gain on 9 o' clock, volume on 3 o' clock, tone on 1 o' clock.
    Into a Rocktron deep blue stereo chorus, lots of depth, a little speed. This all going into a hayden Mofo 30 MKI Class A tube head and a Egnater Rebel 20 tubehead. Both into 2 seperate 2x12's loaded witg V30's

Here is the link to the music Video:

And also on Facebook:

https://nl-nl.facebook.com/pg/mudguardmusic/posts/?ref=page_internal

freefrog likes this.
  8. Luke The Duke

Luke The Duke Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I just registered to this forum. I have a very similar case as the above - so i figured that i'd rather post it here than starting a new thread. I hope that's the right thing to do.
    So in my case it's a vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion. But my goal is exactly the same: i want to convert it to where it looks like a '59 Humbucker. I think i found the right cover already on the internet (haven't ordered it yet), but i'm still looking for the right slot head screws (gold). I live in Germany, but I'd appreciate any hint, even if i'll end up having to order it from the U.S.
    Any help would be highly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Lukas

p.s. would these work:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/6x-Electric...046140?hash=item238a1d867c:g:Qv0AAOSwdkpZexVL
    ???

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  9. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

That listing doesn't state the thread pitch, so you can't know.

Vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion pole screws are 10-32 x 1/2" hex drive grub screws.

10. Luke The Duke

Thanks cooljuk!
    Ok, so i've just ordered them and will try it out.
    Here's the cool thing though - I contacted DiMarzio, asking if they sold gold hex screws for the Super Distortion as spare parts.. And you know what? They do! But they are a bit expensive, unless you buy larger amounts. Here's what they wrote:

Hi Lukas,

Yes, you can order them from us. Here are the directions on how to do so.

POLE PIECES – FOREIGN

Black, Nickel and Gold replacement pole pieces are available to purchase, $20.00 USD for up to two sets, and $5.00 USD for additional sets. A set is defined as the total number of poles needed for one pickup, regardless of size or style.

We accept payment via PayPal ONLY.

Please include a brief note in the envelope listing the following three things:

1) Your full shipping address and contact information
    2) The name or model number of the pickups the pole pieces will be going into
    3) The color of pole pieces you would like.

Mailing address: DiMarzio
    1388 Richmond Terrace
    PO Box 100387
    Staten Island, NY 10310

PayPal Address: ecommerce@dimarzio.com

Once we receive your payment, we’ll mail the poles to you. The total includes shipping charges.

Thanks,

DiMarzio Inc. Sales
    sales@dimarzio.com
    718-981-9286 (phone)
    800-221-6468 (toll-free)
    718-720-5296 (fax)

..so that's if you order from outside the U.S. ....
    so if the ones from ebay don't work, i will just order some golden Hex grub screws from DiMarzio.
    ..so case closed!
    ..and thanks again cooljuk

cooljuk likes this.
  11. Luke The Duke

To anyone considering this:

I just noticed, that the pole pieces for the Super Distortion are much longer than the hex screws on ebay. Duh! (The Super Distortion is a very high pickup)
    So if you're considering this - go fore the DiMarzio spare parts right away!

12. Luke The Duke

..well, actually the ones on ebay are a bit LONGER, not shorter... so if you don't mind the poles to maybe stick out of the cover 1mm or so more than usual, or if you are able to shorten them by the right amount - this might still be quite a good option for you. I ordered both now - the ones on ebay, and the original golden DiMarzio spare parts. I'll post pictures here, once i have everything in place.