DiMarzio Classic PAF Vs Gibson BurstBuckers II

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by mark simon hell, May 19, 2009.

1. mark simon hell

mark simon hell Senior Member

someone tried the difference?

2. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

All I know is that Dimarzio makes a good PAF pickup, but the Dimarzio PAF Pro is no totally a PAf

3. knh6sn7

knh6sn7 Junior Member

I just replaced pickups in my R9. Originally the guitar had classic 57's (which I like very much), but after playing a real 58 side by side with my R9, the pickups didn't have that smooth bite that the real PAF's had. Anyway, I put a BB 2 in the bridge, and a BB 1 in the neck. I got a little closer to the original PAF sound, but I wasn't quite overjoyed. Don't get me wrong, the guitar sounded good with the classic 57's and the BB, but I didn't like the squeel that I get with the un-potted BB's. Anyway, I did a little research, and I got the Dimarzio 36th aniv PAF's (DP223 for bridge and DP 103 for neck). Also, I got a killer deal on them. In my shopping I found a place called Woodwind and Brasswind (wwbw.com). Their prices were on par with everyone else, but they had a 20% off sale,(the discounted price) and free shipping over 100.00! Anyway, I think my total came to 127.00 for both shipped. BTW, I got the cream open coils. I used Dimarzios in my Les Paul's in the 70's, mainly because I thought they looked cool!! Anyway, the open cream coils look great in my R9, but I do like them better than the BB's I had. They don't squeel as much, and they have a nice warm tone, with the PAF bite I like. Anyway, I have only lived with the Dimarzio PAF's for about a month now, but at this point, I really like them. Also, I play heavy blues, classic rock, and some 80's metal through a Mesa MK IV. Anyway, I hope this helps.

4. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

This helps a lot man, thanks. I was wondering about those Dimarzios.

5. mark simon hell

mark simon hell Senior Member

ok, thanx! but how it is "squeel"?? sorry my english is very bad...:rolleyes:

6. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

I think he talking about feedback. I am sure BB's I, II and III are unpotted, so there would be a tendency for them to feed back if you are to close to a cranked amp.

7. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

Gibson Burstbucker 1 2 & 3 are all unpotted when purchased as aftermarket products.
    In guitars they come potted.

Burstbucker

8. overdriver

overdriver Banned

The new hot shot PAF type out, people are liking very much! Still no where as nice as the org. 59 in the comparision IMO

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  9. overdriver

overdriver Banned

In guitars they come potted.

Burstbucker[/QUOTE]

They do not come potted in Guitars