Digitized '63 Les Paul Junior

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GooCart, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Gothika777

Gothika777 Senior Member

Damm thats means I am gunna have to learn more Rhino, not to mention getting hold of some rare valuable vintage guitars protected by sharks with laser beams attatched to their heads.

I guess taking measurements and making all them 3D files becomes too tedious and time consuming after a while :sadwave:

2. ihavenofish

ihavenofish Senior Member

ah, fair enough.

any comments on holding down the workpiece to the cnc? :) haha.

3. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hey Goth, don't get me wrong, I'm not quitting modeling and designing guitars.
    I find the detective work very fascinating and I'll definitely continue measuring those vintage beauties.
    The thing is, no matter how many hours I'd spend measuring and modeling a vintage guitar there will always be somebody out there who'll question the authenticity and frankly, I don't need that. If it isn't fun, why doing it? Money? yeah right.

ihavenofish, we started cutting the back bevels and c-cavity, then we turned it around 180 deg and cut the rest. We left about 3 mm of the perimeter so it wouldn't come loose.

4. ihavenofish

ihavenofish Senior Member

thats more or less what im doing here. i think the low speed spindle is not helping. too much torque.

need to rethink the setup.

5. jtmullet

jtmullet Member

6. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

OK guys, first I must say I was quite surprised that so many had been waiting for the files. I've got lots and lots of PM and emails regarding the files and I'm really glad to hear that you all seem to understand my point of view.
    Some of the mails were quite inspiring and I felt I had to reconsider my decision.

This is how we'll do:
    Screw the smart asses, as an hors d'oeuvre will this file be available for free download as soon as Tom have made place for it.

The other guitars wont be free. There are expences involved in the measuring that I need to cover.

Now when I'm in the spirit of sharing, the first one to complete the Jr with a documented build thread will get the '57 Jr for free.

7. NateM

NateM Senior Member

Glad to hear it! I'm looking forward to it! :thumb:

8. MRJ

MRJ Senior Member

So you're saying build a Jr, like the one you built in this thread, based off of your file? First one to complete it gets a free 57 jr file.

9. jtmullet

jtmullet Member

You are the man! I honestly can't thank you enough for your generosity. Don't ever let those bad mouthers get you down you are truly a master of your craft and I wish you the best of luck with all of your future endeavors.

P.S.That sg is absolutley breathtaking cheers.

10. Erer4

Erer4 Junior Member

:shock: This is so awesome. I'm really glad you decided to share the file after all. I built a 2'x4' solsylva cnc router last summer. Still have a bit of fine tuning to do, when that's done I'll cut one of your SGs out, for sure!

Here's my router. I chose oak over the pine recommended in the plans, for added stability.

[​IMG]

And a trial LP top I cut in foam.

[​IMG]

11. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Yeah, the race is on. The first documented '63 builder gets the '57 for free.

12. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Senior Member

Magnus - I wholeheartedly agree with jtmullet's line that a few "know-nothing" idiots who ruin and belittle your endeavors should be ignored, especially when guys like me (and him - and many others) are simply in awe of your modeling skills and commitment to nailing the tiniest detail of the beautiful guitars you make.

I looked at the various threads you've initiated and been blown away with the results. The SG Jr is just the latest in a long line of compelling stuff you've uploaded and the fact that a hobby builder can now get a vintage correct carved top is something for which you should be applauded rather than slagged off. :dude:

On the SG: like many, I have no skills in - or access to - CNC machinery. But I was wondering how easy it would be for you to transfer the SG outline and front and back bevel/contour lines onto a plan like the Catto plan. That way, "old school" guys like me could make templates from the drawing and beaver away that way.

If you did that and wanted to charge a modest fee for a PDF, I would certainly pay it.

But keep up the great work - don't let the nay saying bastards grind you down (as we say here in the UK).

13. SG Lou

SG Lou Senior Member

Same goes for me :cool:

14. MRJ

MRJ Senior Member

I asked the same question earlier in the thread. Here is the answer I got.

15. Gothika777

Gothika777 Senior Member

If u printed it from the top view u could print it off like the catto plan, and u will also be able to get the depth of routes ect. You can also take crossections of the neck at any point if u wanted to
    So basically a 3D model is like the ultimate plan

16. MRJ

MRJ Senior Member

I've always wanted an excuse to build an SG! I'll be checking regularly for that file!:D

17. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

I visited Robert earlier today and looked at the guitar as it looks now.
    He have sprayed the Polaris and covered it with a thin layer of clear. Tomorrow or Friday he'll start airbrushing the ambering. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty cool.

Once again, the iPhone isn't the best camera, I'll try to remember my Nikon next time, but here it is sprayed in Polaris white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. MRJ

MRJ Senior Member

Looking good!:applause:

19. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Fn' Awesome bro! Love it!

20. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Today was amber day. Here are some photos from the session. Robert had a cool method of applying the amber really uneven, giving it a dirty look. He used a plastic foil and brushed the amber. After that he shot a thin uneven layer of amber with the airbrush. I had to leave before the final clear but this is how it looked when I left.

Applying the amber by hand.
    [​IMG]

After the thin airbrush layer.
    [​IMG]

The final nitro will have some bright amber to smooth everything out a bit. I was looking for a really yellow color and boy, do I have one!!