Digitized '63 Les Paul Junior

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GooCart, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Gothika777

Gothika777 Senior Member

The guitar looks so perfect I'm suspicious it might be one of your 3D models:laugh2:

Any chance when u do the junior dc u could give me the neck crossection and heel measurements so I could finish that Rhino thread I made?

2. SG Lou

SG Lou Senior Member

No it's not .
    When i got the guitar the TRC was missing. :(

3. jb2060

jb2060 Junior Member

Very Tasty, Magnus ! Would love to hear some sound/video clips of this beauty when it is done.

cheers, Jason

4. V!N

V!N Senior Member

It would look really cool if you would put a dogear humbucker ring on there ! :dude:

[​IMG]

5. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Here at the office we have a 3d printer and I have designed and printed a dog ear cover for a humbucker. I looked at it last night but I'm not sure. My initial idea was that this guitar should look like a original '63 that was humbucker routed and resprayed back in the 70's. I'm considering to drill and mount a regular dogear for the fading process but remove it afterwards so I have the unfaded shadow from the dogear. The same with the tuners, I'll be using grovers but for the fading I have the kluson.

6. V!N

V!N Senior Member

If you want it to look like it was routed resprayed and modified (tuners and pickup) there shouldn't be any shadows of the previous parts.

7. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

You're absolutely right about that. What was I thinking!!!!!!!!

8. ihavenofish

ihavenofish Senior Member

i just finished a similar sg jr, and its really "loud". i wonder if screwing the pickup direct to the body is contributing here. i had the pickup in my gibson SG before it and it wasnt nothing similar. ive screwed oter pickups direct to the body in other guitars though and it didnt have any meaningful effect.

of course my sg is also 24" scale, string through, 4 ish pounds with no tone knob so its probably a number of factors, hehe. im programming up my shortscale for cnc to make this weekend. everyone liked the guitar so much i have to make some more.

in any case, your sg looks really good. i dont know what coulour id go on that though. i find cherry really boring myself, but the wood it too nice looking to cover. if you arent concerned with tradition, id try a nice nat burst. ive always liked that finish.

9. V!N

V!N Senior Member

The simple things are the hardest to see. :thumb:

10. Sea Ranch

Sea Ranch Senior Member

Magnus, you and others have probably gone over this before, but for the sake of a noobie here . . . what process do you use for fading? Presumably UV light source, no? What do you use for a light: grow light, black light, germicial light, etc.? Should the light source produce UV A, B & C or is one wavelength better than another, etc.?

Thanks so much . . .

Randy

11. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

I have limited experience of the fading process but the guitar's I've faded have all been painted with aniline pigmented cellulosa. Here in the north of Sweden we don't much of the sun this time of year so i have used a 300 watt Osram UV light with great result. The red fade in just a couple of hours.

12. Sea Ranch

Sea Ranch Senior Member

Right. Awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience (and I'm assuming that cellulosa is our nitro-cellulose lacquer) :hmm:

The "osram" lamp is the type used in germ-killing, I believe. I'm going to hunt one down (on west coast of Canada) . . .

Randy

13. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Time for some update.

I've left the guitar in the hands of Robert Forsgren, one of the most talented airbrush artist in Sweden. gallery

We've spent a good couple of hours going through the artificial fading/ambering process for the guitar and I'm convinced that he'll nail it. The color? Polaris, what else?

I haven't got a clue what kind of primer they used back in the 60's but I chose to spray it with a white acrylic primer.
    Here it is, waiting for Robert to take care of it, sorry for the crappy iPhone photo...

[​IMG]

The last couple of day's I've felt the need to consider whether I should share these files or not and I have came to a decision to not share any more plans or 3d files, including this Jr.
    This decision does not include the '59 'burst, as a service to the LP hobby builders out there Tom and I will update and redraw the '59 plan with some new data we have compiled.

14. ihavenofish

cool!

i made 2 short scale sg bodies yesterday on my mill. been having issues holding the wood down, which is made worse by a low speed high torque spindle.. wants to push the board off track .005" or so which is visible in the body outline passes. how are you holding it to the table?
    [​IMG]

15. Russtynutts

Russtynutts Junior Member

Damn you are a jerk. I've been eagerly anticipating the 3d files. I read this thread 2 or 3 times a day waiting until the 3d file become available. I am pissed now.

P.S. I really love your work. I am sorry that the files will not be sold.

16. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Sorry, didn't mean to piss you of and if you knew me you'd know I'm not a jerk.
    I've been doing this for the fun of it, I like to see you guys using files or plans I've made but when it stops being fun I see no reason doing it.

17. ihavenofish

when did the fun stop?

as much as id like your model for free, i fully understand that youd not want to hand it off if your intending to make profit on the bodies etc.

do you still plan on selling the CNC program through tom?

18. NateM

NateM Senior Member

I love the look of the guitar Magnus! I can't wait to see it finished!

I hope that the reason that doing the plans has ceased to be fun isn't because of the melee over on the tele forum. Regardless, I love the work you do both in terms of modeling guitars and constructing them. I look forward to purchasing a set of your 59 plans in the future for my next build.

19. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

It have been way to much commotion for me lately, so I'm backing out, meaning that I wont sell any 3d files.
    But as I wrote, the work on the 59'er will continue.

20. Russtynutts

Russtynutts Junior Member

Sorry Magnus.

You are not a jerk. I was taken aback by your decission not to sell your files.
    I design guitars in solidworks and I have several good designs. I was hoping for an authentic Gibson.
    I do really love what you have done here at this board. Again I appologize for calling you a name. It was very childish of me.

Russell Nunn