Digitized '63 Les Paul Junior

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GooCart, Mar 8, 2010.

1. w666

w666 Senior Member

It seems a shame, though, to cover up that beautiful piece of wood with paint....

2. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I get your point. But once I've put my mind to something it can be kind of hard changing direction.

A question to you who have more painting experience than me, (just about all of you)
    If I'd spray the guitar with a Pelham blueish color, will I get the green tone if I spray amber over it? Will the amber make any difference at all?

3. ihavenofish

ihavenofish Senior Member

just stick it in the sun for a few weeks.

:p

(i really dont know what causes the green, i assume the UV light). doing amber might just induce and even weirder effect as it ages.

4. V!N

V!N Senior Member

5. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Wow, the '80 banana white SG was really cool. hm,,,you got me thinking, that's really my style, I think I might just go for it.

6. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

As far as color goes, I would do an exact copy of this guitar:

[​IMG]

I think it would be cool to see if you could duplicate it.

7. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

I would def. do either the original red or polaris white.

8. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

It would be really cool to clone the color also but frankly I don't think I'm experienced enough to do it. White or blue is more in my league but I'm pretty sure I can mess that up also....

9. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

I do not agree. I know you are up to the task. Just practice on some scrap wood. A tinted filler will be easier than a metallic paint job for sure.

You could try a tinted grain fill and if you don't think it matches, paint over it.

10. markadam

markadam Member

Magnus,

Just a quick question...is the body width in your version 12.75 inches?

Thanks!

11. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

This example is 12.93".
    Today I glued the celluloid dots and sanded the braz board and hopefully I'll be able to glue the neck and start the final sanding this weekend.

12. w666

w666 Senior Member

I agree with Ex....if I can do it, then ANYBODY can!

13. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

Pics!

Where'd you get the Celly dots?

14. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

The neck is glued, the pick guard and the TRC are done. Tomorrow I'll drill for the tailpiece and then I'll test assemble the complete guitar. Then it's just the final sanding and finishing left, well almost, deciding color......You guys got to help me out with that. The body is a two piece African mahogany so cherry is out of the question, some color but what?

The celluloid dots are cut from the same vintage sheet I used for my '59 replica.

Here are some photos of the guitar as it looks today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you see a rack of guitars waiting to be measured, the '59 Melodymaker and the '53 GT are almost done. The '57 Jr is going to be fun, I think that's going to be my next build, it's going to be a TV, that's for sure.
    And as a teaser I can add that I have a super exciting guitar on the way, the icon.....:naughty:

[​IMG]

15. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Senior Member

Wow!

But why can't you finish it in cherry? I think cherry faded slightly to root beer is the best shade for an SG Junior/Special.

Interested that your next project is the single cut Junior. I've just finished making one, mainly from the Catto plan and some common sense. I discovered that the neck angle is 1.25 degrees and I'd be interested to see what you discover when you measure the "real" one you've got.

Here's a bad pic of my finished one (I've yet to figure out how to paint it, but I favour the sunburst front, walnut brown back and sides).

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz249/Kalzoo58/LPJ Build/DSCF0080.jpg

My next projects are a double-cut 1960 LP Special (with the pickguard "tongue" between the end of the fingerboard and the neck pickup) and a 1963 SG Special ("straight" lightning bolt wrapover).

I've got the materials, now I just need some time to make them!

16. MRJ

MRJ Senior Member

As good as the grain looks on that guitar I would go with a transparent color.

17. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

I hear you, I'm not convinced about the cherry. I don't know how it is in the States or UK but here in Sweden a cherry SG isn't that big deal, they come up for sale pretty often and aren't that expensive. A custom color is in another league, that's one of the reasons why I would like to have it in a solid color. The other reason is because of the two piece body, I think it looks kinda cheap, but OK, lets play with the thought.

If I would go for cherry I'd want it to be really faded overall but unfaded under the plastic, tuners, and knobs/pointers. I haven't got a single clue how to achieve that kind of finish and make it look convincing, have anybody here tried to do it? It would be great to hear how to do it without messing it up completely.

18. SG Lou

SG Lou Senior Member

Magnus,
    The build came out looking GORGEOUS.
    You really nailed the early 60's SG shape. Being a cherry finish is out of the question then i'd go with the only other choice.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

But...................You gotta give it a couple of light coats of Amber tinted clear to gove it that slight "Aged" effect !

19. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hey Lou, thanks for that!
    Yeah, Polaris rocks! Of the three candidates this is my favorite. I don't think it would be that hard to spray it and give it a nice vintage vibe.
    Is that the original TRC? On the one I measured it was the thin version, the fiftieths Jr and GT style.
    On this guitar I'll use a regular wraparound, not the compensated original.
    Tonight I discovered that I had used to small side dots, stupid but I had some binding from Tom Bartlett and punched out a bunch in correct size, what a difference! It's a different guitar, you'd see it from miles away.
    Tomorrow will be a fun day, the first test of the assembled guitar.

20. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Here is the assembled guitar, the frets need some work but overall a great player, I'm really happy with it. My experiment of screwing the pup right down to the bottom of the cavity wasn't that good idea. It boosted the low frequencies way to much so I have to route the extra cavities but that's no big deal. On the photo I have a SD Antiquity but I'll try the Swedish Lundgren heaven 57 on this guitar.

[​IMG]