Digitized '63 Les Paul Junior

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GooCart, Mar 8, 2010.

1. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I took a look at that model and isolated the body and put it in my CNC machine software. This is what the preview looks like after rough and finish paths.
    [​IMG]

I might do a test run on a scrap piece of pine and see how it works out. Thanks Magnus

Cheers Peter.

2. ihavenofish

ihavenofish Senior Member

the neck pocket and pickup route are at an angle, so your setup wont quite work as is. you can remove the angle in the model and put it in the heel of the neck.

3. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

You are correct. I will have to pare off a couple of millimeters on the bridge side of the neck pocket and PUP route. Probably wouldn't have to do the PUP route as it would be so small, but to be consistent I would. I could also modify the tenon so I wouldn't have to touch either. Neither would be visible in either case. That stuff is better done with a router anyway as anything on an angle like that would have steps on a CNC machine. Not a big deal on the outside of the body because it will be sanded quite a bit.

What I would do is to remove both from the CNC program and route them after. Especially the PUP route which I could do after attaching the neck, just to be sure it is aligned properly. There is usually enough play to line up the poles if the neck was off a little bit but I might go with a soap bar PUP and I'm not sure how much play there is there.

Cheers Peter.