DigiTech Trio+

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by tzd, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

If an engineer who helped design a product chiming in on a product question doesn't meet your satisfaction

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I had a feeling this would happen with this pedal. I was also waiting for the same thing to happen with the EHX organ pedal and sure enough, there are 3 varieties of it now. I almost didn't buy the EHX 360 looper because I figured within a year there would be the 720.

Still not sure about the Digitech Trio +. It sounded the same to me with more features. The original bass tones didn't sound that great to me. The drums sound ok. The concept is great but I suspect it will evolve still.

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I thought that might be it. BUT will any of that make it to the Trio update?

Obviously there is no button, but I would think something with the foot switch could be done.

Cause I'm one that wants that.

4. HarmanCanadaEng

HarmanCanadaEng Junior Member

For sure the original TRIO update will include the ability to pre-select styles (override automatic style selection), the ability to provide a "hint" as to whether you will want a fast or slow interpretation of your song (using the ALT-Time button before teaching), and the ability to select from 3 different FS3X modes. It will also include the improvements to the bass composer so that it plays lower in the register.

However, I heard a lot of people at NAMM really wanting some kind of Simple Bass mode as part of the update even though there is no Simple Bass button on the original. After hearing so many requests, we really want to try and make this happen so stay tuned!

2 people like this.
  5. tzd

tzd Senior Member

How different is Simple Bass from training the TRIO with simple strumming? I find that if I teach by playing power chord one time for each chord in the progression, the bassline and tempo will be much simpler than trying to play some rhythm pattern in the chord progression.

Also, is there any chance I can replace one of the existing Genre with METAL with the update?

6. HarmanCanadaEng

It really depends on the style. Some styles are actually very simple, but only sound complex when people play embellishments that cause the chord detection to screw up. So in this case, even without simple bass, if you play more simply, you'll get the simple style as it was intended.

But other styles are very busy and even with a single chord for a full bar or two, you'll get quite a fancy bass line. When you use simple bass, this will revert to a much simpler bass line.

Sadly I doubt this is very likely. The metal style uses different kits (the new TRIO+ has several new kits and more memory for different sounds). Not to mention that the metal style on the TRIO+ actually takes up a fair bit of memory itself! To keep the cost of the original TRIO down we really had to pack everything in there - it would be quite a bit of work to try and cram metal in there I think.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

Does anyone know if there is a software program that can act like the Trio? I heard Band in a box can do it but someone said it can't create a backing track based on a chord progression like the trio.

8. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

The Beatbuddy is owned by a gun runner. I would never buy one.

9. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I'm glad we have a digitech design engineer here so I can express my view on this. I love the idea of this pedal very much but I can't understand that the sounds used are so mediocre for $300.00. Would it be possible to include the possibility to use 3rd party samples? An internal mixer of each drum would be great also.

10. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I don't find the sounds used to be mediocre. The Bass and Drums sound pretty good IMO. The built-in guitar FX, on the other hand, is not the best, but you don't have to use it. The only gripe I have with my TRIO is the tone-suck - it seems to have a buffer that sucks a lot of tone from the guitar.

1 person likes this.
  11. HarmanCanadaEng

To get the best sound out of the Trio or Trio+, you really need to send the mixer output to a decent PA speaker. I use a JBL EON 615 with a bit of low boost and I'm pretty happy with the sound. I realize that when listening to the drums on small speakers or guitar amps it's not ideal, but we tried the best we could to apply a fairly generic inverse cab model to at least improve the quality for someone who wants the convenience of just using a Trio and an amp.

Also, after a lot of user testing we purposely kept the reverb to a minimum on the drums and bass. Many users said this felt more like they were actually playing with a band rather than playing along to a "produced" sound. We felt that people could always add reverb if they wanted, but it's not too easy to take it away.

One thing we are looking at is adding the ability to let users have more control over some of the internal fx and signal chain using the Trio Manager application. But really I can't promise anything at this point, except that as always we really are listening to everything people are saying. So please keep those suggestions coming, and thank you!

5 people like this.
  12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

Appreciate your comments and honesty about the product. I own the original Trio, but the issue is the same. I have a mixer with XLR cables and set of M-Audio BX5 studio monitors with 5" cones. It's a pretty decent entry-level setup for near field monitoring, so I was excited to jam along with a guitar combo amp and the BX5's handling the bass and drums.

Except that when you have a couple of smallish monitors next to a guitar combo amp (even a smaller 8" or 10") one, it's really no competition. The drums and bass should be owning the low end, but my monitors (while perfectly acceptable and much better than computer speakers) aren't large enough to do that. I'd imagine it's night and day comparing it to something like the 15" cone in the JBL you referenced. I may need to look into an inexpensive alternative to that, both for the Trio and some of my other guitar modeling equipment.

Still, DigiTech deserves credit for recognizing that only a small percentage of Trio buyers are going to both have access to mixers and monitors on the level of the one you have and bother to plug into it. I'd be fascinated to know the numbers (as would Harman, I imagine), but I'd have to think 70% - 90% of Trio users plug the whole thing directly into their amp most or all of the time. So it's great that the Trio is designed to do that, also, as well as the well-implemented headphone feature.

13. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

I have Adam A7's and even I would be thinking to plug into a combo amp.

1 person likes this.
  14. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

Mine sounds great through a Harman Kardon amp, JBL studio monitors and JBL sub woofer.

15. yeti

yeti Senior Member

All fine and dandy but the sounds are so wrong for what I want to do.
    we need a roots/ folk/ acoustic edition. Imagine a box that T Bone Burnett or Daniel Lanois
    would endorse, haha.:)

16. HarmanCanadaEng

Thanks! We really appreciate the feedback.

And as you've seen, to really maximize the experience when playing with a loud guitar amp you really need something with some bottom end. I once got a great deal on a couple of used Mackie450s and they work really well also.

The thing I like about my JBL speaker is that it has two channel inputs so it can act like a mini-mixer. That way I can put vocals in one channel and the Trio in the other.

Hmm.. I wonder if just adding a powered sub-woofer to your current setup would make a big difference?

17. HarmanCanadaEng

The TRIO+ has a new Folk genre. Maybe some of those styles would work? I may try to get someone here to make a demo video of the new folk genre...

2 people like this.
  18. cybermgk

@HarmanCanadaEng is there going to be editing, storing, managing software for really both Trios?

19. cybermgk

I get real good results running mixer out to one half of my Fender 68 CDR, and the guitar to the other.

20. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

My barely used TRIO + footswitch controller are for sale in the Classified.