DigiTech Trio+

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by tzd, Jan 25, 2016.

1. tzd

tzd Senior Member

3 people like this.
  2. Sustainamaniac

Sustainamaniac Senior Member

I love that they've added a looper to the Trio. The main reason that I don't use mine now is because I felt like it was missing a lot by not keeping the loop as well.

Obviously keeping the loop kinda makes the name unfitting for the pedal now, but I definitely thing it's a positive change.

I wonder if my original trio will be worth anything on the used market now...

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

They should offer discounts to Trio buyers. Dammit, this means the Trio is unlikely to get upgraded via firmware much, if at all

4. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Digitech makes a habit of discontinuing products and withdrawing support... so, no doubt they have a bunch of incremental improvements waiting for this one (all suggested by the current owners who will get screwed in the upgrades)... so I'd wait a couple years to upgrade... or wait for a more customer oriented company to release something superior.

5. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

saw this at NAMM. Not for me but seemed cool.

6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

Yeah, that was big news at NAMM. Some people were frustrated that they bought the original TRIO (I have one) and then this came out. But to me, that's kind of silly - this is a whole separate class of device - Sweetwater is selling it for $299 right now (not in stock).

I have a separate Looper and TRIO from digitech. They are both cool, but not always something I'm in the mood to play. $300 is just a big ask from them, though I was impressed they made the Classic TRIO as good as it is for $179.

7. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

It was something I was interested in for having drums. But the Beatbuddy just blows this away.

8. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Yeah $300 is kinda steep, considering you'll have to buy a separate foot controller. That would put it close to the price of a Pod HD500X.

9. HarmanCanadaEng

HarmanCanadaEng Junior Member

The Trio and Trio+ will coexist as a product line. We've announced a firmware upgrade for the original TRIO where we have put everything we could from the TRIO+ development back into the original. This includes the two of the most requested features: 3 different FS3X footswitch modes (same as on TRIO+) and the ability to pre-select a style before teaching a part (e.g. override the automatic style selection).

We should have this update ready for everyone sometime during the next few weeks.

7 people like this.
  10. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I guess that the lack of the looper was the reason I didn't buy a standard Trio in the first place. But now...? Im soooo getting one. One of the year's purchases for sure.

The only question remaining is if I will keep my Ditto on the main board or not. The Trio+ does not fit there, in any case.

1 person likes this.
  11. Joeydego

Love or hate digitech, no one could say they don't have awesome product support.

12. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I like digitech.. but their product support absolutely sux!!! :cool:

13. Joeydego

I've never seen a rep arbitrarily chime in on a random guitar forum. That is a first for me.

14. HarmanCanadaEng

Well...I'm not a rep - I'm with the engineering team at Harman Canada that designed these products. I don't have tons of time to do this but when I do see a question I can can answer I definitely try.

In fact, someone asked about the sequencer on the TRIO+. There are 5 parts that you can create with looper only parts or band+looper parts. You can seamlessly move between these using the footswitch on the pedal, the external FS3X, or even better with the sequencer. Say you put a guitar only loop in Part 1, a verse in part 2, a chorus in part 3, and a bridge in part 4. You can simply press the sequencer button and then hit, say, 1-2-2-3-2-2-3-4-3 or whatever, and then hit the sequencer button again. The Trio+ will then play all parts in that order the next time you start it - that's the easiest way to do a full song.

3 people like this.
  15. Joeydego

Not sure if we met at NAMM but we (Musicplayers.com) did get a walk thru at the digitech booth. Who hasn't had a digi pedal or piece of gear at one time or the other? I can name a dozen I had. Some I loved, some I didn't. Always liked the brand as was willing to give you a shot, though. I'm more of a DAW guy myself which is why the TRIO+ isn't really marketed for me, but I dig its concept and loved the new additions to the feature set. Keep up the good work!

16. HarmanCanadaEng

I just may have met you then! Anyway, thanks for the kind words. We appreciate it. I mean that - we really do.

1 person likes this.
  17. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

THat IS good news.

What is, and what about the 'simple bass'

1 person likes this.
  18. Joeydego

It does just that: itll simplify the bass all the way down to one bass note per measure. Apparently they'd received complaints the bass lines were too busy in the original. From what I understand, there is a sliding scale of simplification.

19. HarmanCanadaEng

I've talked to a lot of people about the bass in the original TRIO and it was one of those things that people loved or hated. After digging into it further what I found was that when players were using the Trio just to jam and play lead, they often enjoyed complexity of the bass line. But for people trying to write songs, the busy bass really got in the way. So on the TRIO+, we've added a Simple Bass button - pressing it once causes it to turn green - now the bass will do a basic riff but always on the root. Pressing it again will cause it to go red, and the bass will play a single root note once per bar (or chord change of course).

We also found that the bass for many genres tended to play too high on the neck and so we've adjusted those algorithms so that it will stick to lower notes in general.

1 person likes this.
  20. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

So it looks like you still haven't... :naughty: