Digitech trio + mk2

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by j200george, Jul 1, 2017.

1. j200george

j200george Senior Member

i have a very mild gas attack for the digitech trio plus. It's that pedal you play a riff to and it comes up with an accompanianment backing track in the style you choose.

It does have some very obvious flaws and room for improvement in terms of functionality so I am considering waiting for a new version. Has anyone heard any rumours of a newer more "connected" version being on the way?

It's not cheap and I don't want to splash the cash then a better version comes out later in the year.

I think the pedal would be good for me as I write riff based tracks and the output would help me articulate the ideas to my band.

2. edselman

edselman Senior Member

I have one and while it's not perfect it is fun for at home jamming. I haven't heard anything about a new version. You need to understand that you need a second clean amp to run the drum and bass line through. And, if you want to record the sound of the overdriven preamp section of your amp to a loop then the Trio needs to be placed in the effects loop. If you get your dirt from pedals, then it should be left upstream from your amp. Food for thought.

Also, you might consider a Beat Buddy. I intend to get one shortly. I want to do a side-by-side comparison and either keep both or sell/return the other.

pillbug likes this.
  3. j200george

j200george Senior Member

Many thanks for your reply. I do run a stereo pair so it could work but I mainly want something to help me get ideas/ riffs etc articulated better so I can replay to my band.

That said I'm quite prolific in terms of volume of riffs etc I'd want a better library/ recall facility that the pedal offers at present.

4. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I have an original Trio, though I haven't really used it much yet. The Trio + has a looper, so it will replay your chords where the original Trio won't. The Plus also has five recordable parts vs three. Not enough features to get me to trade mine for a Plus, though. If you're going to record riffs I'd build the rhythm/bass/chords and play along side that into a DAW. The Trios can plug into pretty much anything with the right adapters.

5. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I've got the Trio+ and it's a huge amount of fun. I'd happily gig with it (and probably will in the future). The beats are less 'organic' than the BeatBuddy (which I also own), but a long way ahead of things like the inbuilt rhythm on the Boss loopers (even the RC-300). The Trio+ is really at its best when playing jazz, I think, as it seems to deal well with complex chord voicings. In fact, it seems to be better at those than simple blues progressions.

300 chords are apparently easier than 3. Go figure...

That being said, the technology will probably evolve considerably in coming years, so the longer you wait, the better the pedal will most likely become.