DigiTech RP/1000/500/335 difference?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Leendrix, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

Features aside, is their any tonal difference between the RP 1000/500/335?

I don't wanna' get anything less than the 335 because I want the foot controller. And the bypass option (bypass isn't a huge factor but would be great).

Again, I know there are differences in the features on each model, but any tonal?

I might buy one this Saturday when I'm out at GC. Yes. I'm selling my soul (again) and going to guitar center to possibly buy something. If I like it, I might have to go over to the small chain store that's closer.

But anyway's, I'm going to buy something this Saturday. We'll see how much damage I can do... :hmm:

2. dylan.rocks.all.nite.long

dylan.rocks.all.nite.long Senior Member

I think the RP500 is the best bang for the buck

3. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Senior Member

I asked myself the same question some time ago and ended up with the RP500. The 500 and 1000 use the same chip and have been reported as not being as fizzy as other lower cost MFX units. (That is, not considering Axe-FX, Eleven Rack, etc.) As you probably know, no unit sounds great out of the box and once you modify the settings the tone becomes personalized enough that further comparison becomes a matter of preference.

4. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

RP1000 and RP500 are better suited for live work as they have more switching and hook-up options and a few more amp models and effects. The 1000, 500, and 355 use the SAME chip in all three. If you need to integrate your amp sound with it then the 1000 is the way to go as you can use the 4 cable method. If the modeler IS your front end (just waiting to be made louder) the 500 costs less and might be the ticket. My RP355 was bought for home (it has a drum machine as well as the looper) for practice, jamming, song ideas etc plus some occasional live use. Works for me.

5. 4nd3h

4nd3h Senior Member

What exactly does the foot controller control? Is it volume or wah, or both? Or... something else, like a Distortion Rocker?

Just wondering.

6. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

Wah, whammy, and volume :thumb:

7. SHADOWSHADY

SHADOWSHADY Senior Member

My rp350 can control the level of effects with the expression pedal as well.

I use mine almost everyday, well untill recently now I use my iRig more.

8. Wilko

Wilko Senior Member

I use the RP250.

On these units, the pedal is whatever parameter you want. Can be leslie speed, treble, volume, etc.

On all settings the Pedal switches old school style to whatever preset you are using.

9. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Senior Member

The RP500 is the same--or at least very similar.

10. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

I use the RP1000, as both part of my live guitar rig and as a recording interface.

The differences in the 500 and 1000 are that the 1000 has the ability to be used as a traditional "pedalboard" as well as a full on processor.

I have had the 350 and 500 also, I found for what I wanted to do the 350 was too limited in it's abilities and switching options.

Live I run the RP1000 into either a pair of Marshall heads and cabs (dual 1/2 stacks) or an Egnater Renegade 1/2 stack, it performs flawlessly and I have 4 favorite presets that I use on songs from the album.

11. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

new 355 owner here.im loving all the sounds i can get out of this critter...

12. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Yup, the 355 is a huge improvement over the 350. I also have the Boss GT-10, which I prefer by leaps and bounds, but the Digitech is smaller and better for at home.