Digital Modeling Amplifiers: Hey, I'm sold!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by The_Sentry, May 5, 2009.

1. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

No. I don't find that my guitars lose character on these little modeling amps. For the simplicity of plug and play I still say the Line 6's are great.
    As mentioned they are durable and reliable in the experiences I've had using them. I've never had a problem with either of mine.
    As far as guitars played through them : the LP sounds different from the Tele that sounds different from the Firebird that sounds different from the PRS .
    Each guitar retains it's own indiviual character when played through these little amps.
    I wouldn't use the smaller (75w and down) modeling SS amps in a giging situation, but in an informal setting, they are easy to use and sound great a low to medium volumes. My opinion.
    I can sit down after a long day of Grand Pappying, turn on the SpiderJam and have dozens of sounds available at my fingertips, or by using the FVB Express pedal. There are so many preset tones (some good, some bad and some friggin ugly) that I haven't even tried half of them yet.
    You can now change the key and tempo, seperately on the pre recorded jam loops! That's great! You can change a song from C# to Am, or E and not change the tempo. You can change the tempo from 120 BPM to 200 BPM and it dosen't sound like the Chipmunks.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Line 6 modeling amps to anyone.

2. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Didn't loose a thing - except weight!

This is going back some years, but I was gigging with a Marshall rack system: JMP1 preamp, Marshall power amp, & Digitech rack fx unit etc.

For various reasons, including plain old curiousity, I swapped out the preamp & fx for a POD, & ran that through the power amp & the Marshall cab. From a playing point of view, & a "feel of the amp" POV, I honestly didn't notice a real difference - no more than swaping between two different valve amps.
    From a sound POV, the first time I tried it out I got comments from my band-mates about how good my amp was sounding that week! When I told them what I'd done they were amazed, but impressed.

I use different gear these days, but I didn't change because of the sound or feel of using the POD: I think it was just that old curiousity about new gear again... :laugh2:

3. Monster

Monster Senior Member

Just acquired a slightly used Peavey Vypyr 75. It won't be replacing my tube amps, but sounds very good - better than most of the modelers I've heard. The problem with these is they released them before working out the bugs, so they do some weird things. You can update the firmware by downloading and connecting them to your computer with a MIDI converter and cables. Unfortunately the 15 has no way to do that. They are FABULOUS amps for a cover gig where you need easy transport and the ability to cop the tones of a number of different amps on the fly, as long as the bugs are worked out. I'm hoping mine will be trouble free once I've done the update. I hadn't been impressed by most of the other modelers out there - they mostly sound like an MP3 compressed recording of a nice amp, not like having one in the same room. Lots of guys on the Gear Page are very impressed with the AxeFX - I haven't tried one of those.

4. Monster

Monster Senior Member

Oh, I forgot to include this - if you do get interested in the Peavey stuff, check out posts on the Whammy Bar & Grille, the Peavey forum. Very helpful in troubleshooting these little monsters.

5. Sportrider24

Sportrider24 Senior Member

I picked up a Vypyr 15 today. I tried the demo model but it was screwed!! I called two days prior and best buy only had the demo model so I know the one I bought came in the day I got it. I'm really pleased with it. tons of tone options for $99. Since I've heard several stories of the amp not working correctly, I got the best buy warranty for an additional $12. If anything goes wrong with it in the next 4 years I can have it replaced on the spot, get a full refund or apply my purchase price to another product!!

6. allbusinessjoe

allbusinessjoe Senior Member

Good deal on the extended warranty.

Please keep me posted on the amp. I'm interested in what you think of it after playing it for a while.

7. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Thanks, Grand Pappy and huw, for sharing your thoughts. :thumb: I admit that my foray into the digital realm is limited mostly to my old Korg pedal... I'm sure things have gotten much nicer in the last 10-12 years.

8. Sportrider24

Sportrider24 Senior Member

Depending on the item, the warranty is a great deal. Several years ago I bought a bazooka tube for my truck for $299 and got the extended warranty. After 3 years of use I finally blew the speaker. I drove to best buy, ripped it out of my truck and brought it up to customer service with the receipt and got a full refund!

I'll post if I start to have any problems.

9. shark

shark Member

modeling amps are still heavy
    amp modeling programs with a laptop is the new wave
    you just get the internet? :laugh2:

10. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

With all of the thought, care and money that goes into buying a guitar here.............

Boys, you are truly missing the boat on digital amps / modelers.

The G-Dec, Vettas, Line 6's, etc are JOKES compared to Fractal Audio's Axe FX - world class effects, much more processing power (along the lines of a desktop machine), and every parameter tweakable to your taste - deep, sag, hi cut, low cut, pre, post, tone stack, GEQ, PEQ, etc.

The FX plays like a real tube amp - clean and pretty with soft attack or lower volume, snarls and bites when you dig into it.

The Axe FX is a new paradigm in the modeling world.

If KILLER tone is what you seek from a modeler / sim, check out the Axe FX.

Welcome - Fractal Audio Systems / Atomic Amplifiers

I don't sell them. I just play gigs with one and it's been a true godsend.