Digital Modeling Amplifiers: Hey, I'm sold!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by The_Sentry, May 5, 2009.

1. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I saw this ad for a Peavey Vipyr recently in one of those mags,,,,,and I was wondering....has anyone tried one?

I'll be the first to admit that NO, I am not some amplifier "go to" guy, but you know something? I think I am really sold on the digital modeling amps. All of the tones are integrated into the amplifier, and they're designed to work with the amplifier. There's no second guessing when you're getting an effect.

Does anyone else use these? Or is there interest in this? I have to admit that if I can get an amp that does a ton of different tones and it's all "right there" for ease of use with an additional footswitch, I'd much rather go this route than trying to build an effects box or rack....

2. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

I had something similar for a few years...Peavey something or other. I could get some good noise out of it but it was so damn quirky and complicated I ended up trading it for the Bandit 112 I have now. For me I'd rather have the effects outside the box, so to speak.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I haven't tried a Vipyr (mainly because of the dumb-ass spelling), but I bought a Line 6 Flextone XL in '98 and I still love the damn thing. I've pretty much beaten it to death at this point, but you can do a whole lot worse if you're playing a range of material that demands a whole lot of different tones.

Having said that, I currently use a tube amp with a Pod XTLive. The Pod does the effects, the amp does the work...

- D

4. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Yeah, I've seen those. Either way, I have to admit I'm more willing to go either that route or with the modeling amp vs. traditional stuff. And for me, it's not getting "that ideal tone" so much as having decent tones, and a lot of them so I have a lot of different sounds to offer when playing songs...

Anyways...a lot of amps have really stupid names....but here's a demo...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEKPVSl9jMc]YouTube - Demo of the Peavey Vyper Modelling Amp[/ame]

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

This is a cool idea - Atomic Reactor.

It's a 50w tube combo with a port where you can plug in a number of modeling boxes, including the original kidney-bean Pod. If I had the dough to drop on one, I would - the original Pod still has the best modelling tones AFAIC.

- D

6. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Wow....that is pretty sweeeet! :dude:

7. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Senior Member

I had a Vox ADVT50 for a year, I thought it sounded great. Then I found a SUPER deal on a 79 Marshall JMP, after playing it for 5 minutes, I threw the vox out of the window.

the vox had/has: 11 modeling amps, tons of effects, 2 or 3 channels, fx loop

the jmp has 1 channel

:D

8. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Old Marshalls have great tones. Something like a single channel would be great for a POD.

Can't say much about their newer stuff based on what I've experienced. :mad:

9. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

My Line 6 Spider II 112 is a lot of fun, as is my G-DEC 30. I know they are not the 'real deal', but it's cool being able to fool around with all the effects without having to buy all the pedals and amps.

10. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

+1, I've got the same amp, I just love it.

I see people complaining about Spiders all the time, but for a little bedroom amp, it's really pretty cool. It's not the best sounding amp I have, but I can get some very usable tones out of it without too much tweaking, and I don't have to spend a fortune on different amps!!!

11. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

I love the PODX3, you plug it into the
    return loop on a tube amp and you got
    a BUNCH of great sounding amps

12. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

I've been thinking of getting one for recording. Think it would do the trick, or is the rack version better in some way?

13. smcgov

smcgov Senior Member

you know I have a Ceritone JTM45, a marshall JTM60, a hand built JMP 100 super lead, a Boogie 50 cal, a 1966 Fender Bassman, a crate v18 and some other stuff and my POD X3 through a BH little Giant combo sounds really good up against that stuff...especially for the $$$....

14. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

You want the "real meal deal, no fizz, no can of bees, plays like a real tube amp, sounds absolutely fantastic modeling"?

THIS is your ticket to sonic Nirvana:

Products - Fractal Audio Systems / Atomic Amplifiers

I use one in a rack rig. It SMOKES anything else I've ever played or heard as far as digital processsing goes. This little black box will expand your horizons........................

[​IMG]

15. G Man

G Man Senior Member

I like the Fender Super Champ XD and the Vibro Champ XD. All tube amps (read, warm tone,) with DSP modeling thrown in (variety).

16. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Well the only real differnce in the rack model
    is all the great inputs and outputs that are more
    studio freindly, i ALMOST got the rack version myself last month
    when i got my PODX3, and there are alot of inputs and outpus on it.
    Dual 1/4" instrument inputs

Dual XLR microphone inputs (with phantom power, trim adjust, signal/clip indicators and low cut filters)

Stereo 1/4" line inputs

Stereo 1/4" outputs (with amp/line switch)

Stereo XLR balanced line outputs (with ground lift and Mic/Line switch)

Dual 1/4" unprocessed line outputs

1/4" stereo headphone output

USB 2.0 for computer recording

S/PDIF stereo digital audio input and output

AES/EBU stereo digital audio input and output

Stereo 1/4" effects end and return

Midi In/Out/Thru

FBV™ connector for optional pedal controller

Variax Digital Interface

17. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I don't pooh-poo digital amps. They absolutely have their place and are great tools to have in the right situation. I pull up short at saying they are as great all-around as the manufacturers say they are.

For home recording and cover band situations where you need to have a zillion tones at your fingertips, they're awesome. Although I have to say, the models all tend to sound very similar to me. Maybe the newer generations of stuff are better?

Something to consider is that they are basically like computers in that they become obsolete quickly because the newer, better versions come out year after year.

I also think there needs to be more care in e.q.ing and amplifying them in live situations because they can sound ...off if attention isn't paid to this area. Any amp will sound bad if you don't do this but the modelers seem more susceptible to it IMO.

I would never talk someone out of buying one of these amps. I'd only ask what they wanted to use it for to make sure they weren't wanting to use a Swiss Army knife to do the job of a hammer.

18. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

+1

Totally love the Fender Super Champ XD - Can't sing it's praises enough. It captures the clean fender sound really well yet it can really scream. Its only my practice amp but I'm tempted to buy an extension cabinet for it because I love it's sound so much.
    I also have the Fender G-Dec, it has pretty cheesy sounds compared to the Super Champ. The G-Dec is cool because it has backing tracks, a built in tuner, and tons of cool effects.
    I perfer the Fender Super Champ XD though without a doubt.

I also have a PodXT that I used exclusively for a year or two, I still like it - but it's very digital and cannot achieve that Fender clean tone that I lust over so greatly.

If you're getting into digital modeling amps I suggest you try Guitar Rig or Amplitube. Both are VSTs for programs like Pro Tools, Reaper, or Cubase. They also have standalone applications where you can run the programs from you desktop. You can achieve myriad tones from these plugins - I highly recommend them!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gqCtPcN5NE]YouTube - Dweezil Zappa Plays Guitar Rig[/ame]

19. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I don't know if I agree with that - at least in the case of the Line 6 stuff.

I got the first version of the Pod and the first combo in the Flextone line, and I'm convinced they nailed what they were going for at that point. I bought a Pod XTLive, and it was almost too much - but I bought it with the Variax, so the feature set was pretty cool in that I could control the Vax models through the XTLive. Nowadays I just turn off the amp modeling and use it strictly for the effects through a tube amp, and that works for me.

The Pod X3 is just overkill. I don't see how anyone can avail themselves of everything they crammed into it unless they're using dual rigs. It might be nice for recording, but as far as live goes, there's just too much stuff.

And as for recording, I've tried the XTLive and I hate it. Everything sounds fizzy and you have to really tweak it to get a manageable tone out of it. The kidney-bean Pod 1.0 is my go-to unit for recording, because it's ridiculously simple, and the models are still the best they've ever released.

IMO, Line 6 is a perfect example of a company that got it right very early, and then felt compelled to make their shit more and more complex until it was just not manageable any more.

- D

20. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

I think I am really sold on the digital modeling amps. All of the tones are integrated into the amplifier, and they're designed to work with the amplifier. There's no second guessing when you're getting an effect.

Does anyone else use these? Or is there interest in this? I have to admit that if I can get an amp that does a ton of different tones and it's all "right there" for ease of use with an additional footswitch, I'd much rather go this route than trying to build an effects box or rack....[/QUOTE]
    ===================================================
    This January, I bought a Line 6 Spider III 120 60Wx2 2x10 Stereo Guitar Combo Amp

Features:
    • 12 Custom Amp Models from Clean to Insane
    • 7 Smart Control FX (up to 3 simultaneous) including Tape Echo, Sweep Echo, Standard Delay (all with Tap Tempo) Chorus/Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, and Reverb
    • 250 artist-created presets
    • 150 song-based presets
    • Plus 36 user programmable presets
    • Built-in front panel tuner
    • 2 - 10" Custom Celestion? Speakers
    • 120 Watts Stereo (60W x 2)

I really liked all the different built-in tones and how you can create your own tones and save them as presets.

But.....I still was not not getting the deep and warm tones I was wanting.

I am lucky to have a friend that rents musical equipment to large out of town bands.
    I told him I'd like to try out a couple of small & light tube amps that have a nice tones.

He brought the following two amps over for me to try out:
    - Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (22-watts) 42-lbs
    - Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (40-watts) 50-lbs

I played each amp for hours with different settings and decided to get a Blues Deluxe

The Line 6 Spider III 120 sounds good, but it is no match to the deep & warm tones of the Blues Deluxe.

I am selling my Line 6 Spider III 120, if anyone is interested.

See the attached picture of my Blues Deluxe after I Amber Lacquered it. My friend's amp (natural blond tweed), is setting next to mine.

Also, a picture of a Line 6 Spider III 120, is attached.

Attached Files: