Difference in tone and feel Octave pedals?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Mookakian, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I love octave, something about that piano cross guitar sound tickles me, that low octave for when you need th8ngs to get really heavy and the ability to gain low end in songs when i dont have a bass player to fill the space.

My question, ive only tried the whammy V... It has a kind of digitalized feel, almost a tiny bit of lag inthe attack which idig, but curious do other octave pedals feel and sound different, looking mostly at octave down... Anyone have any input on different octaves you have used and us it worth my time trying a few others, the whamny isnt going anywhere but if other brands respond and act differently i think i may want another on board.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Classicplayer likes this.
  2. Neffco

Neffco Senior Member

I like my pog 2 a lot. I notice a little lag when using it so simulate bass. Slight but noticeable to a bass player. As far as filling up the low end with subtle organish undertones in my two piece band I love it. Or loop in a part that sounds B3 ish. One of the more versatile pedals I have. 8 presets to play with. I don’t notice lag on anything but the bass and if you set the attack to sort of swell it in you don’t hear it in the loops. Plus all the strings it will emulate. Definitely more than a basic octave pedal. There is one listed now in the classifieds.

It does -1 -2 down and +1 +2 up in octaves all with sliders so you can dial in what you want. It doesn’t feel digital at all to me.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Mookakian likes this.
  3. Neffco

Neffco Senior Member

03743E74-5EE9-4FD8-BF48-8506F236B817.png A sample of some settings

Mookakian and shupe13 like this.
  4. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Ive had my eyes on a POG for a while now, i have one track i use the low octave on the whammy through the entire track, i think i should prob try one out next chance i get.

Still 8nterested in anyone whis tried different octaves and what differences you found.

Also i killed a set of V30s with a fuzz, boost and octave, didnt help i were running a 150W head through a 2x12, i might fill my 2nd cab with bass speakers for the bass driven fuzz madness tunes, my current head is 50W so at least thats playing a bit safer

5. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I've been interested in octave pedals since using the one on my Micro Cube GT. Thinking it was sort of a gimmick, I passed on it early on. After experimenting while playing my Les Pauls, I've come to hear possibilities in using it.

I come from that (ahem!) older generation that remembers lots of 50's and 60's organ trios. Quite prevelant back in the day.......sometimes with a guitar or sax, or both. Hearing an octave pedal drew me back to those sounds. With one on my Lester's which has lots of bass happening, gives me almost an “imitation” of a B3 player using their bass pedals.

How many many makes of these octave pedals now on the market are there?

Classicplayer

6. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

For ox Octron is the best one out there I’ve tried yet. It has individual direct, octave up, and octave down controls which can be dialed from full on to full off. Plus it tracks extremely well. It even has an internal trim pot, I forget what it does exactly, but it further allows you to dial it in with your setup. They go for about $170. If you can find one of the original Octron model it’s the best sounding.

Mookakian and Classicplayer like this.
  7. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

I use an H9 (the pitch factor algos).

Tracks great, loads of options - it can also replace your whammy if you get an expression pedal

Mookakian likes this.
  8. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

The Ricochet is pretty amazing. I have been loving it since day one.

[​IMG]

Mookakian likes this.
  9. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

For those of you that hav an octive pedal, is it something that works better on a clean amp rather than a highly overdriven amp?

Classicplayer

10. Neffco

Neffco Senior Member

For the organ stuff and string emulation I find clean is the way to go. If you just want the sub octave, it sounds good with OD/dist.

11. efstop

efstop Gold Supporter

I bought a used TC Electronic Sub 'N' Up a while back. It does +1 or -1 -2 or any combination of those three, plus the dry signal. Tons of fun. Add a tremolo for a Leslie sound.

pillbug and Classicplayer like this.
  12. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

This what I have. It isn't crazy versatile but the sounds it does get are sweet. A bit large in size.

pillbug likes this.
  13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I use mine in both clean to heavy crunch and fuzz is great too. Definately not one that cant be used in any spacific saturation level, octave down with high clipping is monsterous, clean provides some very interesting colour to melody lines, single notes and double stops are where they shine IMHO, any more than a triad and things can get a bit too full and messy, especially with gain

pillbug and Classicplayer like this.