Did you change pickups?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Sitedrifter, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Sitedrifter

Sitedrifter Senior Member

With the amount of tone chasing people do and the fact that there ARE better sounding pickups on the market then what can come stock in a guitar, I always wondered if anyone has changed their pickups in a Historic Reissue LP? Were you happy with the result?

bulletproof likes this.
  2. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Senior Member

Many have changed pickups. Some are happy with the results, some are unhappy with the result. Many (like myself) have NOT changed the stock pickups, and are happy with the results. You get the idea. Same with the other electronics. Some change the entire harness, some change just the capacitors, just the pots, etc., etc. Some are happy, some unhappy. Just search the forum (including the classifieds) to learn about particular experiences.

And don't get me started on how much plastics affect tone ;).

3. hackenfort

hackenfort Senior Member

I used to change they out all the time before Custombuckers.

Some favorites of my are: Antiquities, Seth Lovers, OX4, Rewind, Wizz and there are many others great one too.

LeonC and bulletproof like this.
  4. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

I’ve toyed with the idea of swapping mine to Wizz. I may put some Wizz in my SG instead because it could use an upgrade more so....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.
  5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

I usually end up changing mine. About 90% of the time. Swapped pups in my current #1 for Throbaks and ended up putting the stock pickups back in. Go figure.

Frogfur, Dilver and bulletproof like this.
  6. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

Wizz in my R9 and they’re never coming out :)

bulletproof and mfolet like this.
  7. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Senior Member

I've had a 99 R7 since about 2010. Stock pickups were great. First thing I did was replace the harness with a Jonesy 50s harness. The pickups went from great to fantastic since I started using the volume and tone more effectively. After some time (gigging with it about every weekend) the bridge pickup went microphonic. I just removed the cover and solved the issue. Not long after the neck pickup did the same thing. Around that time I bought a set of Pearly Gates from a member here. I ended up swapping the stock pickups for the Pearlys. Gigged with those for about six months and they never really lived up to what I was expecting.

I ended up swapping the Pearly Gates back out for the stock pickups. With some advice and help from a few MLP members I replaced the covers using a small bead of silicon caulk between the dummy slug and the cover. This worked like a charm. The stock pickups are back in and sound as fantastic as ever. The guitar is simply a beast for live gigging.

[​IMG]

rogue3, bulletproof, mrfett and 3 others like this.
  8. asapmaz

asapmaz Senior Member

Ever since installing OTPG's into my no. 1, my hunt has been over.
    But I am a firm believer in 1) not fixing something if it ain't broken and 2) matching the right pup to the right guitar.

alnico59 and bulletproof like this.
  9. blackie2

blackie2 Senior Member

I didn't like the Custombuckers in my guitar and replaced them with OX4's. Very good choice for my R8 but you never know until you swap a set.

bulletproof likes this.
  10. goldenugly57

goldenugly57 Member

Before the Custombuckers were introduced I put Amber Classic Standard Pickups in all my Lesters. After I got my 2014 r9 with Custombuckers, I sold all my Amber Pickups and tried to get hold of any Custombuckers offered second hand to put them in my Lesters :laugh2: Very happy now :)

bulletproof likes this.
  11. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

Duuuuuuuuumb newbie question, but how can you tell what new pickups will sound like if you can't try them out first, or can you...? Please don't throw more than three rocks at me : )

bulletproof, GitFiddle and Subterfuge like this.
  12. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

:slap:

Bad newbie, how dare you ask questions on a guitar forum

Thats the hard part for sure, youtube videos are a good start to get general impressions of pickups but there are a ton of variables going on that take it with a grain of salt. If you can, talk with the winder and describe the tone you are hearing in your head and maybe some examples of guitarists or songs that have that sound. They may have an off the shelf option for you or be able to wind something for you.

Past that, and its expensive, but the best way is to just try out a handful and see what winder's style you best agree with and beyond that what set matches your guitar the best. Keep an eye on the classifieds as used sets pop up pretty often.

Some will say its madness with an electric guitar, but I've done a lot of pickup swapping between guitars and each one definitely does have its unique underlying sound and will work better or worse with a set of pickups. Part of the reason Gibson pickups are the way they are, is so that they work in a wide range of guitars. With the nice PAF clones things get a little more difficult and it can be a bit more work to find the right set for a guitar.

I've had first hand experience with Electric City and ReWind and they both wind amazing pickups, James at ReWind (@cooljuk here on MLP) is amazing at describing tonal qualities and talking to you about sounds so I would highly recommend him if you are in the market.

Lastly, on my one and only historic I went vintage:dude:
    [​IMG]

13. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Start by narrowing down your "style" to a "style" that has already been defined.
    :D

Listen to samples on Seymour Duncan's site.
    Listen to samples on other sites.
    Talk to other musicians.
    Stay awake at night in your bed and wonder what would be best for you.
    Consult the "Internet". It's a vast area full of knowledge and bullshit too.
    Stay awake at night consulting that "Internet".
    Stay awake at night in your bed and wonder what would be best for you.
    If you are a Classic Rock and Blues type of guy,
    buy a Seymour Duncan's 59 set (or a Whole Lotta Humbucker" and be happy.
    My '92 Standard (SD '59s) sounds like "The Shit".
    My '93 SG (SD '59s) sounds like "The Shit".
    And they smell good too!

Best of luck on your quest!
    :D

14. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

Okay, next dumb question: Why change the pots? I swear to Pearly Gates and Page Tone I'm not trolling...

bulletproof likes this.
  15. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Senior Member

Usually a lack of clarity and treble will warrant a pot change. Sometimes people are also looking for better volume sweeping (e.g. no trebble bleed, etc.). I believe recent Historics have decent/good pots, though (e.g. 500k), so it's a less common mod nowadays. I have never tinkered with mines, though, but I'm sure someone with actual experience will chime in.

bulletproof likes this.
  16. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

bulletproof and jwehrman like this.
  17. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict Premium Member

I haven't owned a guitar yet, historic Les Paul, USA Les Paul or other that I haven't changed the pickups on. I'm a pickup change junky, though it's been mostly with Seymour Duncan pickups in the past. My next set of pickups will be from James at Rewind without a doubt.... as soon as I'm working again.

I'm always happier with my choice of pickups vs the manufacturer's choice, even if their choice was Seymour Duncan. Most stock pickups are too hot and muddy for my taste; or at least too hot..... but that's just me.

18. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

I've changed so many times I have to stuff toothpicks down the mounting holes.

19. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

I’ve considered the custom shop version of the PG pickups. I’ve had the normal off the shelf ones... I’ve read where people who have had the custom shop ones say that they’re better.. anyone experience this ?

bulletproof likes this.
  20. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yes, I almost always change pickups... even on my RIs. The CBs are good, but IMO/IME can definitely be improved upon.

YMMV, WAFH! :D

That said, I have a new (to me) R8 enroute. I’ll give the CBs in it a fair shot, but if past experience is any judge, I’ll probably end up swapping them out. :)

bulletproof and modavis99 like this.