DI for recording passive bass

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Pwrmac7600, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Countryman Type 85 or Radial J48?

I currently own a sansamp bass driver for years, but just not happy with it. I have tried just going directly into my interface, but get meh results.

2. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Find yourself a used GrooveTubes "Brick", they can be had for around $250.00 on the used market, best Bass DI that I've ever used and I've used a few. And it's a mic pre as well, 55dB of gain and tons of color, what's not to like?

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Also the Avalon U5 is excellent for bass DI.

[​IMG]

4. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I have used the countryman and it's ok. 10MOhm input impedance vs the 220KOhm on the radial might be the deciding factor since it'll determine how the volume and tone controls of your passive bass interact with the DI box. I've heard good things about the Avalon as well, never tried one though. The thing about the Brick is that it seems to give the DI signal an "amped" feel. I used to always mic the bass cab in addition to the Countryman DI but with the Brick I don't need it. A P-Bass into the Brick, no EQ , just medium compression and it just works. However, I'm not crazy about it for electric guitar , makes it kinda mushy and slow.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I have used the Avalon U5 for years. Still my DI of choice, even though I often use modeling for my bass sounds.

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  6. Pwrmac7600

Not gonna lie, the U5 looks very nice, but more than I was looking to spend at the moment. Leaning towards the radial t the moment, was going to go used, but thinking maybe going new from somewhere that carries both the Countryman and the radial so I can AB and return the one I don't go with.

7. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I have you looked at using the Axe? I've seen a couple of videos with really good results. Especially running two amp lines and having one dirty and one clean. He basically chopped off all the low end of the dirty and all the high end on the clean and then combined them. So you had this really tight punchy low end but higher end that cut through the mix.

8. Pwrmac7600

Yeah I have played some with it a little, but haven't really gotten any results that I was crazy about. Admittedly I didn't dedicate much time to dialing anything in. Kinda just looking for something quick and easy since bad isn't really my primary instrument but still necessary to fill out a mix.

9. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

The U5 can't be surpassed as a bass DI; the tone presets are quite useful. I've actually been using the U5 for several years on stage as a DI for my NORD Stage2 into the house mixer. Mic or Line out to mixer, thru connector to my personal monitor (so I can hear myself above the out-of-control guitarists :jam:).

Pwrmac7600 likes this.