Delay Pedal sound / noise / ticking

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by vidguy, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vidguy

vidguy Junior Member

I just picked up a TC Electronic Echobrain. Nice pedal.
    I have not used delays much in the past, only for Stray Cats Rockabilly stuff. I used to use Dan-Electro pedal, the CoolCatand I don't think I noticed this with that..

But I am somewhat bothered by what I believe is called Self Oscillation sounds that occur at tight delay settings.. I have searched for info on this without knowing how to describe the sound and after a while I lucked onto this video describing it and demonstrating it. Just before this section he tweaks the delay time and gets the pedal to start clicking.

That "ticking" sound that happens after each repeat... I kinda hate it..
    Is that a quality of certain types of delays? Analog etc...
    It sounds like an incomplete repeat that is cut short. Is that just the way a Delay Works?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Sorry, Vidguy, as I can't give an answer beyond saying that neither my Strymon Dig (digital) or old Ibanez AD9 click. Sounds like a fault -- and obnoxious.

3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Save me 23 minutes 43 seconds, what time in the video does that happen?

Guitaraxe likes this.
  4. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

That ticking really only happens after it runs away and self oscillates right? Under normal playing situations, you really shouldn't hear it. I mean, unless feedback and oscillation is what your after, and ambient/noise is your style.

5. don71

don71 Senior Member

Any chance its another pedal in your chain or its location in the chain that might be effecting it?

Also, what kind of power supply are you using, if any?

Try it in another spot or try it alone with a battery...see what happens. Get back with us.

6. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

The vid is to long to find where the ticking is.

I have a Carbon Copy and a DM-2w. Both tick depending on degree of self oscillation, delay speed and whether I do a bunch of string scrapes as I play. They both are capable of creating repeating ticks for sure. The DM-2 softens the ticks compared to the CC so it's my preferred delay pedal for self-oscillating euphoria.