Deepening Fret Slots On Bound Boards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kossoff6, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

I have had tons of great advice on here from many different people over the years so I figured someone could help again. Wanted to know how you would deepen the existing fret slots on a bound fret board to except a jumbo fret with longer tang. Obviously with an unbound board its much easier. Theres a lot of information about fret sizing but not so much about the tang depths and Ive come to realize almost all jumbo fret wire has different tang lengths. From what I gather Gibson fret slots are cut around .070 deep. But jumbo wire has a tang length of around .075. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

3. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I have the same saw, great stuff.

4. emoney

emoney Senior Member

If I didn't have a re-fret saw, I'd remove the binding and then reinstall after I was finished.

5. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

If I didn't have a refret saw... I would buy one.:)

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Ummm....just measure the slot depth once you pull a fret. That being said, I have refretted many Les Pauls and have never had to deepen fret slots. A .075" tang is not a problem.

7. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

Really? Thats great news. Someone on a FB forum posted a picture with a fret slot gauge ona 13' SG he was doing. It to appeared to only be .070 or a smidge higher. Couldve been the angle of the picture he took. Thanks

8. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

Hey thanks for taking the time to give me your input and advice guys. It's very appreciated. I was going to buy the refret saw, but i wasnt sure if the dremel kit stew-mac sells would be easier. Probably slower but much cheaper with the saw anyways. And thanks again Freddy for all the videos.