December BTOTM

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Sixstring63, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Orange Lester

Orange Lester Senior Member

Its been a while since I posted one of these. Not much 6 string guitar playing in the last several months.. I turned on the Wah, and pressed record. Maybe I'll do another when I'm on vacation last in the month.

-peace

https://soundcloud.com/jay-ellisor/landr-dec-jamz

Eddie 70, paradice, frankv and 2 others like this.
  2. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Get the ear protection, this is a 93 Les Paul with the dreaded 490 490t pickups played with S-Gear on the bonamassa preset.
    Played it all in pure minor(aeolian mode) the box minor scale that starts on the 7th fret 6th string B.
    https://soundcloud.com/len-paul/mlp-dec20172

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    CaptainT, KP11520, Eddie 70 and 3 others like this.
  3. frankv

frankv Have You Ever Lost A Love? V.I.P. Member

Very nice Jay... Cheers

4. frankv

Just my style len.. :applause:

5. parts

parts Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  6. frankv

I hate hearing you talk like that Parts but I do get it ..

7. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Orange - nice to have you back, hope you can get back to enjoying playing :)

Len - no need for ear plugs man!

Parts...maybe a rest will do you good.....hope you make a comeback!

8. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Wow , the link you posted took me to a tune called "Season To Taste" ,, good stuff.
    We all get older & it sad when the realization that the fingers don't work the way they used to anymore.
    What is sadder though is even considering packing it in just because ya can't play as well as in the past.
    Just think of all the enjoyment in playing guitar has given you.
    Don't quit on it.
    I don't think you would, to much joy in squeaking out a cool note now & then.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  9. Orange Lester

Heading off to Band practice tonight. Playing the Bass makes my heart hurt. We all miss our friend so much, was so hard to watch him fight so hard. Fight he did.

I guess the good news is that I am developing some whopping calluses.. Take care friends. Tell the people you love and who you are close to that you care.

-peace

10. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Ummmmmm.... missa parts.........

Can you hand that capability off to me and let me take it from there? LOL

Damn.... I didn't think so.

Hang in there! Don't give up totally. Heal and return better than you ever hoped!

frankv likes this.
  11. Sixstring63

Sixstring63 Senior Member

Never time to quit. I'll be 55 in a month, had surgery on my left hand back in February that I thought was the end. I played through the pain once I was able to play again and by June I was back as good as ever. The thing with age is the less you play the worse you get. Not like when I was in my 20's and could just pick up the guitar after a week or more away and just play like I just set it down an hour ago. It takes a good 2 hours every day of practice to keep my chops gig ready. If you only pick it up once in awhile and expect great results it ain't gonna happen. Try raising your strap higher when you play standing, wearing a low slung guitar puts bad strain on the wrists. I try to strap my guitar in the same place on my torso as it is when sitting. Doesn't look as cool but I've never had any carpal tunnel issues at all. My surgery was from a work related injury causing me trigger finger on my left ring finger. If you're having discomfort, try some different positions of playing on your left hand. I most always keep my thumb somewhat centered on the back of the neck doing any runs or such, never a thumb wrapper, to me it is uncomfortable and puts your wrist in a bad position. When doing bends and some chords you have to wrap your thumb but not all the time. The key to good playing is the shift your thumb all the time. I had a great jazz teacher show me this at 18. Watch classical guys, they do it all the time. Like I said, most fatigue and pain is caused from bad hand positions over many years.

KP11520 and frankv like this.
  12. parts

parts Senior Member

Thanks for the thoughts..though..I will be 70 on next birthday. Already two operations on wrist.. I am fighting getting operations on burst disc in neck..two discs in back. I have 5 cortisone shots two months ago again..now trying for more..but have had DOZENS when I played ball..so doctors are not eager for more. I sign waivers..
    Also rotator and probably hardest is Ulnar (Tommy John) surgery to repair my elbow..all right side..

I have been playing about 4/5 years now,,after not touching them for 30 YEARS. I play thumb center of back of neck except thumb over for some bends or occasionally on the Strat..or to do an effect needed.

I played baseball/football in college..played baseball until 59//and coached.. Injured my back and re injured all the rest, Just an old guy that never aged in my mind LOL
    I do not have time to recover from all that.so I will work around this. I will not do heavy drugs so therapy is all I got.

It is difficult to even pick up the LPC//so I try the ES175 as it's much lighter.. I play with an elbow brace,,wrist brace..back brace, Carpal then Ulnar..Tepnar surgery..
    2 hours a day will never happen in my life anymore. The things I put up are usually after 45 minutes or so every few days..
    I even use left hand for mouse..
    I will be back..just not as I like or was..but that's OK..
    Playing can be so worth it..as long as it's fun..
    I am what I am at this point..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    CaptainT likes this.
  13. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

So I got my Helix LT today and did another take on the BTOTM. Some mistakes, but I think you guys don´t mind:)

https://soundcloud.com/user-188172975/december-btotm-take-3

Best wishes for 2018 to all of you, especially to those who had a hard year 2017!

See you all again in the BTOTM Jan 18:)

Cheers,

Thorsten

LenPaul, paradice, Vortex and 2 others like this.
  14. frankv

Great Great stuff my friend but that's not the backing track of the month. I think you posted that in the wrong forum. If you would like to play the Dec backing track see the first post.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  15. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Yeah, you're right.... my reading comprehension skills suck....

16. Orange Lester

Whats your take on the Helix?

17. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

This take was done with a custom preset from Glen Delaune (Bonamassa artist preset). I really like the sound of it. I still get lost sometimes in the interface of the Helix, but it is a great tool, especially for the price. Custom IRs are really a massive improvement though.
    I sold all my pedals and use it with my tube amp in the band as a pedalboard.
    For recording or playing at home I use it stand alone.
    Great piece of gear:)

frankv likes this.
  18. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

It's what we're all about. :cool2:

How do you like those patches? I went to buy that set & bought some metal ones by mistake. :doh:

frankv and CaptainT like this.
  19. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I like them. The High Gain patches are pretty cool, I bought those too:)
    The Bonamassa patch is one of my favorites though, cause I am addicted to those POG sounds:)

20. Orange Lester

Ive been using Line 6 for years, and have a Pod HD500. I'm chewing on investing on an upgrade... tks for the perspective

frankv and CaptainT like this.