Decaying P-90 Problem

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by captain tightpants, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Well I'm probably too late, here. P90s are my specialty, I probably know more about them than some. You're wrong about recreating the "mojo" there is no mystery to what the good ones do. You can follow my link and check out the Zephyr Blues, these are a faithful recreation of what was made in 1952. My favorite artists are guys like NIck Curran, Junior Watson, Charley Baty, and in Portland P90s rule in the jump blues that permeates the scene here. End of spiel.

As far as saving your pickups, thats a tough one, those old bobbins literally turn to dust. I've saved a few full of cracks with water thin super glue, difficult to apply and not pretty but it will get you a few more years. I do have some dead-on accurate P90 bobbins if yours ever totally fails. Most of the bobbins being sold out there are completely wrong dimensions, a small change in dimension creates a big change in tone. If your pickup ever fails, be SURE to hang onto all the parts, the magnets are worth good money, some a-holes on Ebay buy old P90s then try to sell them as "PAF" magnets for a ton of money, haven't seen anyone fall for that one but someone evetually will. I'm working with a magnet manufacturer now recreating the old cast magnets and having good success with it. Anyway, thought I'd throw my 3 cents in here, P90s are the best pickup design ever made in my opinion. rock on......

2. Dave Stephens

Here's my favorite clip of my friend playing the ZB set through a Magnatone amp with a Premier reverb for gain, this kid is only 21 years old and fast on his way to national recognition, this is what P90s ought to sound like :)
    http://www.sdpickups.com/audio/zephyrs-live.mp3

3. Dave Stephens

There is another alternative way to save a deteorating P90 bobbin, I haven't tried this but it would probably work. There is a very stiff thin material called fish paper that McMaster Carr carries that could be superglued to top and bottom of the bobbin that would hold it together probably for a very long time. It would have to be routed to size and drilled oversize for the pole screws, should work. The thinnest sheets are .010" which is thin enough not to mess with the cover fitting or magnets/keeper etc.

4. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

That's a hell of a good idea. Yeah, it's definatley cracked, that may just be the way to go. Thanks a million for the tip, i'll look that up right now.

5. Dave Stephens

Let me know how it works out. If you use super glue use a medium thick gel, something that won't dry immediately. Silicone acrylic caulk might be a better idea, the stuff you use for bath tubs etc. Clamp it one til it dries, super glue would be real good but it sets too fast sometimes.

I'm going to buy some fish paper also for my Dirty Harry pickups which is a modern variant of the old DeArmond style pickups that simply use a wide flat alnico magnet and a paper bobbin. The paper bobbin is a bitch to wind, fish paper would help, I'm going there now to order some :) Dave