Decadence and Sacrilege-I bought a Strat!

Discussion in 'Fender' started by hedzeppelin, Oct 11, 2007.

1. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I hear ya Brother, Hey Bout the only way to get closer to most of the Rev Billy's tones, but dont forget Blue Jean Blues :fingersx:
    I played my Les Pauls AND my Strats today

2. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

I didnt play any of my guitars today, not in the mood, Im vegitating today.:naughty:

3. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Ok, I'm different I love mother of Toilet seat ( As Does the REV, Cool :applause: ) Perloid and I love clean Strat tones. Why, because I love instrumental surf music, and judging from the worship of all things blues and Zep in this forum, I'm likely one of the only ones. Hence I really have to have good reverb.

Had a Tube Works Stereo rack one for a while. It was the best reverb on earth. Still is. Prices for that rare mutha have shot up!
    Dick Dale, THe Ventures, THe Shadows, Link Wray, all real must haves for my CD collection. Lately the Aqua Velvets and Los Straightjackets too.

The only pickguard I really DON"T like on a Strat is the snot green ones. I just don't understand the allure?:confused:

Hmm, I still gotta take some pics of mine for this thread. Well, maybe tomorrow....

4. ReverendJWblues

Harp brother nuthin as pretty to me as a yellow cream strat with pearloid guard :rofl: I dont even look at those green guards, always fascinated me how Dick Dale played what he did and it all looked wrong one cat I never could get a visual on. LOL I do worship the ZEP mostly because of my age I suppose. But most of all I never saw anyone move and play like Jimmy, still gets me after all these years. The man has some grace and balance. :)

5. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I can understand folks loving Jimmy Page. He's an icon, a one-of. I never got into him, but I can appreciate what he does and has done for the electric guitar, especially Les Pauls and double necks:rofl:
    Me, I'm 48 and grew up with Zep, or more accurately, avoiding Zep. Moby Dick live killed them for me:rofl: I preffered Jeff Beck as a guitar god, and The Who, or The Beatles as my go to band. Ok, I was really into early Elton too......

Even in a mirror Dick Dale still looks awkward, but I'll tell ya, he is loud, emotional and accurate. Upside down Strat backwards and strung inside out, or what ever..weird, but it works for him.

6. ReverendJWblues

Ya know I remember the first time I heard ZEP (in 69) there was a record store 2 blocks from where I lived. It was my 15th birthday I got $10 a big amount back then well I always went to the shop and bought 45s when I walked in they had them playing and said who is that hell I didnt even care really I pulled out I think $4.00 bought the album and played it till it couldnt be played anymore. Back then I had a Les Paul Amp it had 4/12s and 2 horns in it, hell the horns didnt even work was a lousy amp, but it was big. Hell I dont even remember what happned to that amp, not sure I even want too. :)
    I never did like Elton John, did like the beatles never liked the who. Once I heard the ZEP it was on, no more top 40 for me.

7. lp59aholicDon

Rev, I like clean strat tones, I like dirty strat tones, I like mildly pushed strat tones, and I love Les Pauls all those ways as well
    Dick Dale is definitly the wizard of Surf Guitar
    Page is and was an early guitar hero of mine, I still respect and like most of the body of his works
    I like folks who can play and perform with emotional intensity and skill all rolled in, Dosent have to be fancy but if its heartfelt , I can dig it

8. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

AMEN, Brother! Hence, my handle here! I just watched the Mothership DVD...
    Man, Page was and still IS a monster! For 3 insturments and a vocal, that band sounded so FULL when playing live! I've got just about everything Zeppelin....books, CD's, DVD's....

For me, I was heavily into Cream at the time, and then they broke up, and
    this new band called "Led Zeppelin" came along....I've been a fan ever since!

9. ReverendJWblues

Ya know brother Hed people knock Jimmy so much, but I've never seen anybody with such a stage presence in my life (come on boys, tell us all about the great Slash). Hell when I heard them after that I couldnt put down the guitar, I dont have the mothership DVD is it the same footage as in all their other DVDs? I have them I just cant get enuff of watching Jimmy play Since I been lovin you on the Madison Square Garden DVD what fucking power and emotion the man was on that night. Ive got all the books everything I can find basically. I did sell my first edition Led Zep biography a few yrs back on E-bay for $150.00 I thought what fool would buy that, now I wish I had it back. I'll go to my grave loving Jimmy and what he did for me.
    They set the bar for all the others, although I love a lot of music nobody ever captured me like them, and dont think anyone ever will again. I always have a CD handy or loaded, seems every song they ever did I know. I need more books and paraphanalia Ive always got the lust.........Who knows maybe in some way I sold my soul to the devil. NOT............but damn I still love it, Maybe I should be the REVZEPPELIN. :naughty:

10. hedzeppelin

REVZEPPELIN! I love it!!!
    THey did indeed set the bar for all others! And to this DAY, they RULE!
    Over 20 MILLION people wanted tickets to their reunion gig! How many bands
    can claim that? Even after being disbanded for what....almost 30 years?

The Mothership DVD has mostly the stuff that the DVD boxed set has, but it has a couple of things that it doesn't. I got it for Christmas, and although I have all the songs on the OTHER 3 boxed sets, I still love having it!

Man, It's hard to say my favorite album....tossup between Led Zeppelin (first album) and Led Zeppelin II....

I had to buy each one of them seperately on CD, even though the songs are on the boxed sets, because I was used to hearing the order they were on the original vinyl....Like, how can you NOT have Livin' Lovin' Maid after Heartbreaker?

Figure this...Jimmy Page is WHY WE'RE here on this forum today. He's the guy that made everybody and his brother and sister and mother and father want to play a Les Paul!

And you're absolutely spot on about his stage presence....and the way he just rips off those riffs...at random? He rarely plays the songs exactly the same way twice, and that's one thing that I truly admire about him, too...

11. ReverendJWblues

:rofl: I went out today and bought a pearloid cover for my strat just for you Don brother, I'll post a pic when I put it on for ya, so u can hang it on your wall, and worship the REV. :naughty:

12. lp59aholicDon

Rev, Soon as I can, I am going to score a brown tort shell guard, I am gonna take a perma marker and write on the back, This ones for the Rev. J.W
    and put it on my number one, with the rosewood board, in your honor :lol::lol: Then I am going to play a medly of Zep tunes :rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. hedzeppelin

Ah, I can play the medley with ya, bro...I know a bunch of 'em!

14. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

My trusy old '62...........4 refrets,changed parts,4 or 5 different finishes,but what a warhorse!
    [​IMG]

15. hedzeppelin

Ah...that's nice! And it's vintage, too!

16. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Looks kind of like SRV's guitar

17. lp59aholicDon

My Number two [​IMG]

18. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Nice! reminds me of one of Jimi's guitars!!

19. hedzeppelin

Brother Don! Nice Strat, man! I'm with CS on the Jimi thing...

20. lp59aholicDon

Thanks guys, I am waiting on better lighting for more, Blondie is pretty clean and only a few dings ect, considering her age she is in damn good shape
    some brat punk owned Suzi Creamcheese before, and shes taken a beating and some abuse, somebody drilled a hole thru the body then plugged it, its got deliberate scratchs and gouge marks in it as well with " My Guitar" scribed into the rear finish

[​IMG]