Dead/Muted Note at 16th Fret

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Cygnus X-1, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

So I just was playing my R8 that was just set up about 3 weeks ago with 11 gauge strings in Eb tuning and I have a muted note on the high E at the 16th fret. This is a new development as the guitar played fine up until just now. The guitar is only a year old and hasn’t really been played much prior. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Raise the action until the problem goes away. Unless you wear down frets even worse than me (and I chew through the buggers) it shouldn't be fret wear. Prolly just got the action a bit too low. Maybe switch to 10s if you can live with them (I can't be doing with 11s, so biased low gauge here).

DanD and bulletproof like this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

Good advise above...

Just want to add you can always get a fret rocker to put your mind at ease, and make sure a fret didn't pop up for some reason...

[​IMG]

4. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Thanks for the tips- it was with a luthier for awhile having cosmetic work done so I’m pretty sure he set it up correctly before he sent it out. Why would the action change on me like that? I’ve never had that happen before and I’ve had guitars for years.

5. DarrellV

Here's a home made one! LOL!

[​IMG]

Changes in temperature and humidity can make the wood swell and shrink. The steel truss rod, not so much, so neck relief can change.

But just one fret on the high E makes me think the fret ahead of it got lifted a bit near the edge. Assuming it has nibs it could have been struck near the end (edge) of the 17th fret enough to buckle or lift it slightly out of the groove.

That's why a fret rocker right over that area would be tell tale.

One fret just doesn't sound like normal, low action fret buzz. That usually happens across the whole upper range of frets.

BBD and bulletproof like this.
  6. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Thanks! Dumb question: why would we need to cut the card at the top corner? Maybe I’m missing something but wouldn’t the credit card rock without that angled corner edge?

7. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

Since you always need to test the rock in groups of 3 frets, the shorter sides are to check the frets on the high side of the fretboard, where you need much less rocker or you would touch 4 frets...

DarrellV likes this.
  8. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Okay so I just put my cc along the frets and it seems to me that the card is not touching the fret wire right above the 17th fret. So that might be the issue- only b/c I’m curious.....why did this become a problem now and not 3 weeks ago when I got the guitar? Thanks

DarrellV likes this.
  9. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

I see

10. DarrellV

Can you think of any time it might have gotten hit with or on or against something?

A mic stand while playing, did it fall against something?

it sounds like the one fret is pressed down into the neck a bit more than the rest. That would take a bit of pressure or a blow.

EDIT: Lowering the action might have revealed it more. It may have been there for a while, but between the heavier strings and lowering the bridge it would have aggravated it to where it no longer works.

11. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Honestly no I can’t....but moving forward, the best way repair this is popping that fret out and replacing it (by a skilled tech of course)?

12. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

A tiny amount of the neck changing could be the culprit. A small turn of the truss rod may fix the issue. The guitar is still new, and going thru the normal 'growing pains' that a new guitar does.

13. DarrellV

Let the tech decide that for you! They are an incredibly stealthy and skillful bunch and it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to fix the one that's there.

Cygnus X-1 likes this.
  14. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

[​IMG]

dammit, I have an Amexco only, can't use it

Stuff, DarrellV and Cygnus X-1 like this.
  15. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Good idea. So this issue was discovered playing unplugged. When I’m playing through the amp I get a note on 16 and it’s the same pitch as the 17th fret (A). Not sure if this is helpful but thought I’d pass it along. I will take it to my local shop. Thanks everyone for the insight and help!

DarrellV likes this.
  16. DarrellV

:applause::applause::lol::lol::lol::thumb:

17. DarrellV

It makes perfect sense, actually!

They may just do a fret level and crown to bring the ones around it down to even with the 17th fret. They would all be a tiny bit lower, but they would be level again. No need to pull and replace.

And you are welcome!:cheers:

Glad you found your answer. :thumb:

Cygnus X-1 likes this.
  18. monty john

monty john Senior Member

Almost sounds like stratitus....but its a les paul....prob the guy doing the setup adjust the strings lower thus exposing the weak fret area.

Surprised the guy doing the setup didn't play the guitar to find this...fkn guys...take it back

19. DanD

DanD Senior Member

A slight turn (raising the bridge) of the treble side thumb wheel will fix it for now.

I've run across this more than once on Historics. Both my '04 and '05 R7s had fret issues from new. :doh:

DarrellV and Cygnus X-1 like this.
  20. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Don't mess with the truss rod as suggested earlier. Take it to a tech.

DarrellV and Cygnus X-1 like this.