De-VOSing my 2013 R9 (with pix, of course)

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by SteveC, Dec 15, 2013.

1. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

After a few applications of Virtuoso cleaner followed by 2 coats of Virtuoso polish, my R9 is now as de-VOS'd as I want it. I didn't want to end up with a GLOSS finish. The end result that I was going for was a glossy-like finish, that had lost some of its luster.

Here's how I did it:

For the first coat of the cleaner, I applied it like a wax. That is, I put it on fairly heavy and let it sit for about 10 minutes to harden. This took off most of the gunk. Following that, I performed two more cleanings - this time just wiping the cleaner on and off. All of the gunk was now completely removed and it was time to polish.

I started off by applying a fairly light coat of the polish. I wiped it on and quickly removed it. Then, I took a clean cloth and buffed. The finish was close, but not quite as glossy as I wanted it to be. So, I applied another coat of polish. This time, like with the first coat of the cleaner, I let it sit and dry for about 5 minutes.

After removing the dried polish, I buffed it out again and now, it was exactly how I wanted it to appear. I left the hardware in the VOS tarnished condition (I actually don't like shiny hardware).

The pictures don't really do it justice. It's quite beautiful.

I hope this helps others who might want to have a finish on their guitar that is more glossy than VOS, yet not an "IN YOUR FACE" gloss.

A few notes:

1. I did the entire guitar, not just the top. I put about 5 coats of polish on the back & on the neck.
    2. The headstock was a bitch. There was a lot of VOS on the face of that. I needed Q-tips, to get around the posts and it took 4 applications of cleaner to remove all the VOS.
    3. The back of the headstock was also difficult… again Q-tips to get between the tuners.
    4. I cleaned the neck extra good (I think a total of 5 applications) to get it down to the "nitro". Then the 5 coats of polish finished it. It's really slippery now!

the things we do on saturday night, when we're not playing out :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

:applause:

¤¤ :laugh2:

better that than shoveling lotsa' snow

2 people like this.
  3. RufusTelestrat

RufusTelestrat Senior Member

THat is nice. I also did the same. What a difference it made. Nice axe there.

R

1 person likes this.
  4. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

5. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  6. paintguy

paintguy Senior Member

Great looking guitar!

1 person likes this.
  7. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

Looks great.
    My 13 R8 is a VOS but other than the scratched back plates and some tarnished hardware,it's not VOSsy at all.
    One rehearsal took most of it off the back of the neck and a rag when I got home did the rest.
    Maybe some are heavier handed with the gunk than others back at the factory.

8. pinodorato

pinodorato Senior Member

Great job and killer guitar :applause:

1 person likes this.
  9. Barker

Barker Senior Member

This!

10. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Senior Member

Isn't a VOS finish just a lack of the finishing process, ie. no final buffing to a gloss finish? I'd find it hard to believe that my guitar is covered in "VOS gunk", as people put it.

11. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Beautiful! Thanks for posting. I'm thinking about doing the same to mine, although even though it's VOS, it's pretty glossy.

:cheers:

1 person likes this.
  12. kidmo

kidmo Senior Member

Nice, looks almost as good as an Epiphone now.

Just kidding, looks better :dude:

1 person likes this.
  13. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Sweet guitar. :thumb:

How long did it take you? I've done that to a few guitars (but not five coats) and for me it was about 2 1/2 hours each time. Question for you: why use Q-tips to get between the tuners and not just take them off? I would take all the hardware/plastics off when I did it.

2 people like this.
  14. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

that top could pass for a CC9 if it had a bit more red in it. great find! :)

1 person likes this.
  15. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Amazing top,

Now the trick is to put it all back on.....:)

16. SteveC

The VOS on mine started wearing down after a few weeks, but there was still a layer of gunk that remained. I never really attempted to remove it, though. I'd just wipe it down after rehearsals and between sets.

I've seen some VOS finishes that had even more gunk than mine did.

If you have a VOS guitar, there is some gunk on it :) How much? It depends - but, it's there. Do what I did and you'll certainly find out!

The entire process, start to finish, including taking all the hardware (except tuners) off, was about 3 hours. The polishing was the easy part. Cleaning off the VOS was the real work. The only answer that I have for why I didn't take the tuners off is: I was lazy :shock:

That is the plan!!! But, it will be my blood, sweat & tears. Not factory VOS gunk - LOL :)

3 people like this.
  17. Sct13

Thats Exactly the point! :)

1 person likes this.
  18. Rodmac

Rodmac Senior Member

I have a 2010 VOS and it has nothing on the finish other than it being dulled down. No "Gunk"

19. Sct13

the way I understood it was the buffing compound is left on, it does not get the the final staged of buffing. Buffing rouge is a super fine abrasive suspended in a wax, much like car wax or buffing compound. The gunk that causes the confusion is/ was put on the nickel parts like the tail piece, bridge and pup covers.

2 people like this.
  20. SteveC

That's probably it! Perhaps, it shouldn't be referred to as "gunk", but it is a substance that is put on the finish and not removed (buffed out/polished out/whatever). You could actually scrape it off with a fingernail.

And, the "stuff" that was on the neck will react with your hand as it rubs up/down and become quite sticky. When I first got mine, I noticed it after about 5 minutes of playing. I cleaned whatever it was off, with naphtha and you could clearly see that I removed something from the neck. The cloth was very soiled. It didn't come from my hands, I always wash them before playing any guitar.

1 person likes this.