DC CB's ????

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jamman, Oct 28, 2017.

1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I read today (historic LP's) that a member(posted) is now able to get Double Cream CB's .
    Anyone hear or know anything about this ???
    Anything about if it's related to the Lawsuit which was posted here awhile back ? That TM/Copyright suit we were able to join in to .

Since Gibson has Started using BRW for select Builds recently . Maybe , They are finally pushing the envelope and giving us what has been called for , for years now ???

2. jamman

jamman Premium Member

So ,, No body knows about these ????
    I've asked my regular dealer (as apart of a build I may do) So If I get an answer ...I post the Info for all ...

ramaglia375 likes this.
  3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Ive not seen them in guitars on the shop walls yet, Jeff. If double cream humbuckers come with covers, though, it doesn't violate anything so that is certainly possible.

jamman likes this.
  4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Double cream/double white PAF's were the rarest of the rare. Now they are so ubiquitous (replica wise) they have become passe'. :laugh2:

Who likes this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It's not like everyone is stripping the binding off their LP's because the earliest and rarest LP's had unbound necks. :hmm:

6. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

7. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Well I did inquire about doing a build recently and specs them . I didn't get a NO for them . As it looks now I won't be doing the build as things have worked out

8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

How about you try for an even less relevant example.......ooops thats right, you've already stumbled on it.

9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks for the link , what I see , and correct me if I'm wrong a trial date has been set and has not proceeded from there . So the TM is still in force but going to be heard and decided . At least it's an effort to get it "right" imo .

BTW- the rarest of the rare are original Zebras PAF's IIRC .....Not as "pretty" imo, but find a set .....
    Happy Hunting :fingersx::doh:

I'm not so sure about I "covers on" make a difference . It's been done so rarely Gibson (in recent years) I wonder if Gibson got a S&D order to stop using them ...
    With all the CC guitars issued form Original's that had the DC's , would Gibson just send them unsoldered or lightly tacked on so removal would be easy , if the owner want that look ???
    IIRC they a while back for 1 of the Sig or CC guitars . Don't recall the name .
    with all that's been done in recent years , it seems like a no brainer ....
    Yeah ,No brains me I guess :lol:

10. cooljuk

Sure it does. The trademark image that is on file with the USPTO is an open coil design with 12 exposed poles. Even Seymour Duncan will sell double cream humbuckers shipped with covers.

I think one could possibly even argue that only the advertising of the exposed double cream, 2 coil, 12 pole, pickups is a violation. I'm not an expert, though. @WolfeMacleod is the man to talk to about the details of this.

jamman and Benjammin like this.
  11. cooljuk

....about the solder, though I don't know from direct experience, customers have told me that Duncan has sent them with covers unsoldered. That's all I have on that part.

12. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

They don't do that anymore.

cooljuk likes this.
  13. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Naw... even if you don't use it in your advertising, if you sold pickups that looked like this, you'd be violating a trademark:

upload_2017-11-3_8-3-9.png

Nobody would argue that your product can be confused with something that company makes, but it would still be a violation.

Now that I think of it... a set of Chevy Pickups would be a funny pun!

cooljuk likes this.
  14. cooljuk

"The heartbeat of America!"

....not a bad slogan to steal for a music company, actually.

Many of the keeper bars in my pickup came from steel recovered from Cadillac. Does that count?