Day Two, Smoke-Free

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by BACzero, Jan 2, 2018.

1. meatball

meatball Senior Member

Man please keep it up.. I watched my Father -in Law die in his bed . He died from Lung Cancer from smoking when he was a Navy Seal in the early years . He was a big old strong guy and coffin nails took him down in 4 months time ,, please please don’t stop what you are doing , you don’t want to undergo what he went thru ... You will never know the effect smoking does to the non smoking family memebers that have to watch the end results . We are pulling for you .

RichBrew likes this.
  2. fry

fry Senior Member

A good friend of mine told me that he smoked when he was younger, up to the time his kids were old enough to give him grief about it. He is a cheapskate, his nickname is Jack Benny. That’s what led to him quitting, he loved money more than cigarettes. Simple as that.

3. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

How are y'all holding up so far?

Bytor1958 likes this.
  4. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

Day 3 so far so good for me.

I chew a lot of gum that helps me.

Malikon likes this.
  5. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Contract the flu, quitting will be much easier. :D

Malikon likes this.
  6. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I'm getting over a chest cold I got right before Christmas. So ya this helps. Coughing up all this congestion from my lungs. Yuck.

7. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Been there done that! Should be a great incentive ... :D

8. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

:yesway::)

:eek:

NorlinBlackBeauty likes this.
  9. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

Day 5. Going pretty good. I did grab a tin of snus on the way to work. I hate dipping in any form, but if I have a nicotine fit I'll have a crutch. Left it 500 yards away in my car, it is cold and will take a hell of a craving for me to go get it.

10. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

I'm happy for y'all. Keep it up.

11. BACzero

BACzero Senior Member

I struggled for years to get off the sauce. Wasn't until I just finally got sick of it and chose not to drink anymore that I finally had success. It truly came down to ME just changing the way I thought about it. Not focusing on it makes a huge difference. I hit the point that I didn't want to drink... so the desire was easy to squash. I haven't had a drink in years, and I don't miss it... ever.

Hoping cigarettes become the same, because right now I'm struggling. It's off and on... but right now at this moment, my body is screaming to go out for a smoke. I keep looking out the window, imaging lighting up. Gotta get outta that mind set. Find something to pass the time... focus on something else. Whew... I'll get there... I'll get there.

This is so very true. January 1st was my first day as a non-smoker... but I refused to call it a "New Years resolution". It's a lifestyle change... more important than a resolution (at least to me). I didn't want to trivialize it. Jen and I talked about quitting back in November, but I told her that the holidays create enough stress... we didn't need to add quitting into the mix, so we agreed to wait 'til after the holidays. Glad we did.

OMG... once when I was trying to get sober, I went 6 months without drinking, and somehow I used that as justification to have a 'celebratory' drink! LMAO!! Oh the way our minds work. We can justify anything, really. I've let everyone around me know that we're smoke free now... and I'm lucky in that no one I hang out with smokes anymore. Well, I've got a couple of friends who smoke weed now and then, but not really anyone in my life that smokes cigarettes. No one I work with smokes, either. Helps.

12. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

I quit again just after Thanksgiving. My dad gave me a good piece of advice a few years back, basically as a smoker you always have a reason to not quit.
    “There will always be a birthday, holiday, stressful day, party, etc.” you’ll use as a crutch to not quit (I’ll quit after 4th of July for example). So I stopped before Christmas time.

If it helps any, I quit in early 2015 and made it nearly two years before starting again right before I koved to Michigan. Stupid move on my part. Cold turkey both times, honestly I wasn’t even sure what to substitute with so I just stopped.

But yeah, I quit again. Honestly, this thread was the first thing in awhile that triggered a craving! Anyway, I’m 32, not been a smoker terribly long but long enough that I didn’t like what I was coughing up. I noticed ashes all over my porch, my mouth always tasted gross, the cost, and realized I wasn’t even enjoying it.

I figured I could buy a few albums each month and still spend less than what I’d spend on smokes. Probably a pack a day? 6-7 bucks times 7 = 42 roughly? Probably about 2184 a year? Oh wait, my wife also smokes so add another 2000 to that. Hopefully she’ll quit soon, she’s expressed a desire to but I’m not pushing it with her.

Oh, I also would prefer my kids only having vague memories of me smoking.

BACzero and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  13. DavGrape

DavGrape Silver Supporter

It's not day 2 that hurts, it's day 30.
    You can smell them going by in cars.

BACzero and Malikon like this.
  14. mtgguitar

mtgguitar Silver Supporter

Stay away from alcohol while you are in the first stage of quitting, you will increase your chances of success.

RichBrew likes this.
  15. Craig Sock

Craig Sock Seen my keys? Gold Supporter

The first time I quit taught me how to actually quit a couple of years later.
    I'm at 2 years 8 months and have no inclination.

Here's a piece of advise, FWIW: when the spot-craving(s) come, be patient. They pass surprisingly fast.

Good luck!

BACzero likes this.
  16. NorlinBlackBeauty

Posi-stinkin-tively. Pretty sure I smoked twice as much when I drank - as I recall. T'was nearly 32 years ago ...

RichBrew and mtgguitar like this.
  17. BACzero

BACzero Senior Member

Gave up booze years ago (hence my screen name - BloodAlcoholContentzero) ;). I actually don't miss drinking at all... not even a little bit. Took me a few times to get that one to stick... hoping this one sticks easier.

Bytor1958 likes this.
  18. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

Years ago I didn't smoke unless I drank. Know I don't drink but started smoking. The world can be cruel. So now to quit smoking, again.

19. NorlinBlackBeauty

How are you all doing?

20. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Yep, I gave up the drink first. 17 years ago and not smoking rocks.

BACzero likes this.