Day Two, Smoke-Free

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by BACzero, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

You can do it. Not going to lie to you though, it was one of the hardest things I’ve done. I hear Chantix can help. Been off smokes for over 11 years now and haven’t cheated once. Gained about 15-20 lbs, unfortunately. And I still miss smoking.

BACzero likes this.
  2. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I'm the exact opposite. The least bit of cig aroma repels me. Nasty ...

BACzero, RichBrew and Malikon like this.
  3. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

We are pulling for you ... you can do it!

4. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

Good Luck to all the quitters! I never smoked but my wife is trying to quit this year after 30yrs of heavy smoking. Take all the money you would spend this year on cigs and put it into some new gear! Feel like a smoke, go play guitar for five minutes, it's the habit that is the hardest thing.

BACzero likes this.
  5. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

The smoking outdoors element must have led many to quit or cut down over the years. It was -15F last night, I would imagine that dissuades all but the most determined. Similarly, I recall being in the UAE, it was 116F and the smokers had to go outside or to the bar on the 50th floor.

6. fry

fry Senior Member

It is possible. My father had a bad 2017 health-wise. Got sicker and sicker, ended up with pneumonia and congestive heart failure. They say his heart is functioning at about 15%. He was 75 years old when this adventure started, and had smoked since his early teens. He had been a very heavy smoker the last few years, it was getting bad. They wouldn't allow it during his hospital stay and started him on the patch. This was something like 8 months ago, and he hasn't smoked since! I thought I'd sooner see pigs fly than see my dad become a non-smoker. Not the ideal way to quit, but hey, it worked.

madmusicltd likes this.
  7. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

My dad did quit when he got throat cancer, by then it was too late, it traveled to his bladder, then his lungs, he ended up dying in 2016 at age 77. I am so happy my wife is trying to quit!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Bytor1958 likes this.
  8. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

Good luck. Do not count days-creates a fixation. I've quit Drugs , Booze, Cigars....... I replaced them with 10 oz of Black Coffee daily, I never think of the past, I was a "kid" then, now I'm a ? I know addicts who count the hour,
    "Been 33 days and six hours...."

That is worse than a Death sentence, shed thy habits, forget them. Find new habits, that don't corrupt your chakras.

VerbalPuke, BACzero, artis_xe and 3 others like this.
  9. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I feel I just want to get over this and not look back. My girl friend smokes and with her smoking it's going to make it harder for me. But I'm going to stick to it this time. I don't know how may times I've quit.

10. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Senior Member

I decided today I'm going to quit. Gonna be 45 next Monday and it's about time I kicked the habit. Been down to a pack a week for the last couple of years and lately they haven't really been doing anything for me.

Also, 900th post for me.

winexprt, scott1970 and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  11. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Keep at it, guys. Been many, many years for me. I know how hard it is. Trust me, one day you will look at this as the time when you took control back of your life and your health.

It is a very good thing you are doing and it's one of the hardest things that you will ever do. Please beat it. I'm rooting for you all!!!!!!!

winexprt and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  12. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yup. I quit after 28 years, been ten years smoke free. The things I began to smell and taste was unreal.

Same here, too many damn chest colds, and I did it cold turkey,.... no meds no doctors ...... nothing....... a month or two later it was like I never smoked.

Until then it really really sucked. First two weeks was hard, especially when everyone around me still smoked, but it was better than being sick.

Good Luck!:cheers:

13. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

you all have my deepest sympathies and I hope that everyone is successful !!! Remember, every second, minute, hour, day, week, etc. you can abstain from smoking, the CRAVING lessens, it's sounds bizarre and it could never be measured but it is true, second thing to consider is that every time you give in and have a smoke it "reverses" you previous clean time ... ex. quit for a week, have one and you go back to original cravings, the week didn't help one single bit. It's a bitch of a habit, I quit over 30 years ago and still have frequent nightmares that I have started up again ... DO IT SO YOU WILL LIVE AND NOT DIE ...as cruel as that sounds .. Good Luck to Everyone !!!

BACzero, Malikon and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  14. fry

fry Senior Member

Forgot one important detail about my dad having quit. Mom tells me there's been an extra $500 in the bank per month that used to pay for cigarettes. That's a nice benefit!

15. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

Good job and good luck to everyone!

BACzero likes this.
  16. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

Good luck everyone! As long as you truly want to quit and have willpower you will be successful.

By far the most difficult part for me was the three to six months smoke free period. That is when I started having the 'well maybe I can just have one' thoughts. You must resist these thoughts! I've seen a lot of people fall off the wagon by thinking they can get away with having 'just one' at a party or bumming a couple drags off of their work-smoke-break buddy's cigarette.

I've been 18 years cigarette smoke free as of 1/1/18 and I don't miss it a bit.

Malikon and BACzero like this.
  17. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Congrats, mate! Keep at it. It won't be a decision you regret.
    :h5:

BACzero likes this.
  18. cmh6122

cmh6122 Senior Member

Good luck.

Will be a good thing. Quit near 14 years ago. Too late COPD is a major player in my life.
    Other factors come into play, but the fact I wrapped lips round too many cigarettes trumps all.

Get out while you can. Watched friends bundle up to face sub-zero weather for that legal fix today. Breaks my heart.

Escape. Freedom lives.

BACzero and Side Burns like this.
  19. dave b

dave b Senior Member

Keep in mind....luck has nothing to do with it. You simply have to WANT to quit. Never think of yourself as 'quitting'. Think of yourself as a non-smoker from here on. It will be one of the best decisions you ever make. I gave it up Jan 27-1987. My lungs feel great!

I hope you succeed.

Malikon, BACzero and Side Burns like this.
  20. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

I was a half a pack a day guy & Im at 1.5 years without a cigarette.

You know what finally worked was remembering to still take the usual breaks you would have taken.

Download a new game on your phone. Take your usual break, but grab a glass of water go outside play & Pokémon or whatever. Your still allowed to walk away when your stressed even tho you quit smoking.

Just make it past hell week, it gets better!! :cheers:

I just obsess about that dumb ass Pokemon go game. I tell you, i go outside and chase those darn buggers and look thru MLP often.

I did use an e-cig for a few months but dropped that before i got too attached.