"Dark Circuit" Questions

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by misterhatter6, Apr 21, 2017.

1. misterhatter6

misterhatter6 Junior Member

I recently got a chance to try out a Telecaster with the "Dark Circuit" wiring and I loved it. (especially with OD) But it made me want that feature in my guitars. The ideas I had for it were to either: A. Add a 5 position rotary switch in place of my pickup selector and have positions 2 and 4 feature the dark circuit for one pickup or the other or B. I could use a push\pull pot for the volume (or tone...not sure which) and get the effect that way. What would be the best option? And is there something im not getting?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The P-P pot is better I feel. Just put it on the output side of things. I mean you could do 2 different caps for 2 different pushpull pots for example. One just like the dark circuit, then another much smaller value like a cocked wah (what I call Jeff Beck tone).
    You can choose which one is in operation and them being on the output end means they operate on whatever pickup is selected.

3. misterhatter6

See thats what i was thinking too, (minus the JB tone thing, great idea, just not for me) I would want the normal tone of the guitar with the pot pushed in and the dark circuit tone with it out...Im a bit of a n00b at modding my guitar like this tho. Does anyone know what value cap that I would need for the dark circuit tone? And anything else I may need?

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Well......if you have 2 pushpulls, then one can do the dark (say with a .022 or .015) and then you can use the other P-P for the cocked wah (say .001uf). As both of these are straight to ground its like the tone pot on 0.

So if you have your current tone controls with a .022 cap say, then simply turn the tone control to 0 and see if you like that. Too dark or muffled means you need a lower cap value......like say .015 or .01uf. And vice versa.

5. misterhatter6

I get ya. Now to figure out which guitar to try it on lol

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The beauty about these sort of things is simply trying a bunch of different value caps. You can get some real cheapies from the local electronics store for the purposes of experimentation.
    Also another thing is if you connect caps in parallel the effective value is the two figured added together.....2 x .015's = 1 x .03.