DaPra BourbonBurst Fade 50th R9 Special Run.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by fjminor, May 26, 2009.

1. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

:applause:

Congrats Frank....I love the mineral streaking on that top!

A perfect Les Paul! :applause:

2. fretnot

fretnot Senior Member

Beautiful guitar! :dude:

3. fjminor

fjminor Senior Member

Thanks for the comps guys!!:dude:

4. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy V.I.P. Member

Very nice

5. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Holy cow, what a top! Nice minerals, very smoothly done burst, and that color reminds me a bit of dice's blood burst. I almost never like flametops, but that one rocks. :dude:

6. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Senior Member

This is a great example of what I like Les Paul bursts to look like. I dig the flame, it's just right. The red/bourbon burst is nice too. The uncovered zebra is a nice touch.

7. Butchy

Butchy Guest

I see they are finally putting a proper large band of red on the R9's

8. fjminor

fjminor Senior Member

That wide band was requested by Vic for his run of 25 BourbonBurst Fade. Up against my 50th Anniversary (L), the BourbonBurst (R) clearly has the wider red band.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. 07JWLP59RI

07JWLP59RI Senior Member

Love the fretboard!!!! Great score! Congrats! :thumb:

10. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

Resurrecting this old thread because I just realized my dad's LP is one from this special run.

I recently got into guitars and bought my first LP a little over a month ago. Since then I've been learning as much as possible about them and enjoying every second of it. After reading "The Les Paul Manual" and setting mine up to my liking I figured I'd take a look at my dad's and spruce it up a bit for him. He purchased a "nice guitar" a couple years ago and it usually just sits in its case in a closet at my parent's house. I took it out this morning and realized pretty quickly that it was some kinda historic reissue. My first clue aside from the classic burst color was that the saddle adjustment screws on the bridge we're facing the pickups.

I'm just learning to play, and my '17 Standard is no slouch, but WOW the DaPra limited run (out of 25 I believe) is just the perfect specimen. It's color just gleams, it plays like a dream and I truly can't imagine the craftsmanship being any better. As I've learned about LPs I've quickly understood that they're not all created equal. We'll let me tell you that I couldn't find a flaw.

It certainly sounds different from my '17 standard. I'm sure this can be attributed to both the guitar build and the pickups. The sustain on both guitars was actually very comparable, but the tone was worlds apart. The DaPra had a warm, rich tone with tamed treble and super smooth mids. My '17 had a more energetic tone with more bite to it.

Anyways that's it for now. Just wanted to share my cool find. I feel spoiled that I get to noodle around with this whenever I want. Here are some photos...
    IMG_9680.JPG IMG_9682.JPG IMG_9683.JPG IMG_9684.JPG IMG_9686.JPG

11. Reflect_ion

Reflect_ion Member

Wow, nice story. As it usually just sits in it's case you should switch them - telling your dad or not is up to you.
    Learning chords on a Historic... nice :)

SoCal Flood likes this.
  12. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Goes to show, father knows best!
    Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

SoCal Flood likes this.