Danelectro Lipstick Pup Guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by rednefceleb, Mar 3, 2018.

1. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Shown is a 90's Danelectro DC. Unusual dark burgundy. I've owned a Dan. that had come out of one of those 'Case Amps". It had two lipsticks on it. For $20 I took a chance. I restrung it and was amazed @ the playability AND sound. Those things are good guitars. Only problem is that the old models have no truss rod and need to be heat pressed to straighten. I always wondered if you could take one to a dry cleaners and press one in their heat press machine? :) :) :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    garybaldy and misterhatter6 like this.
  2. Tubejockey

Tubejockey Member

I have a buddy who owns a mint condition amp-in-the-case model. Sounds fantastic. Even the little amp is very nearly a Fender Champ. Those things have a great cheap-in-a-cool-way sound.

rednefceleb likes this.
  3. sollophonic

sollophonic Senior Member

I have a late 90s U2 singlecut that is a sweet one, and having been stored in a shed before I got it, even looks vintage as it is. I love it, though it has a certain application due its fragility, in that I can't chuck it around like my Teles;-)

[​IMG]

rednefceleb likes this.
  4. Danomyte

Danomyte Senior Member

93b93f60a7cb21d5e41256e9b0362d24.jpg
    Jimmy Approved. :yesway:;)

Gibsonrocknroll and rednefceleb like this.
  5. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Do later Danos have truss rods?

rednefceleb likes this.
  6. rednefceleb

I'm not sure. I'm gonna look that up right now. Yes, the reissues have adjustable truss rods. The old U2 'Shortorn' DC had a fixed rod in it to keep neck straight. That ''90's burgundy U2 DC is very cool. I want it. :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  7. Dolebludger

red,

Didn't mean to give you a job to do! I checked GC and the brand new ones have TR covers, thus they have adjustable TRs. I was just wondering how long ago Dano realized they were building disposable guitars without adjustable TRs. Those things became unplayable quickly, and most layers don't know how to steam a neck straight (I don't), so goodbye guitar! It's a shame because Danos from as long ago had very playable necks -- until they bowed that is. To my experience the non-adjustable TR did little or no good.

rednefceleb likes this.
  8. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

9. rednefceleb

Hey, I enjoy researching this stuff. I agree. A change of weather would probably warp a no-rod neck. The old ones did have a rod, <which was news to me> but it had no adjustment which was a bad call on their part. I don't know anyone who steams necks straight. That's just too old school. The fact that Fender and other major brands use lipstick pickups, shows how nice they sound. Not the P-90 sound, their own sound. :)

Dolebludger likes this.
  10. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I hope so - mine has twelve strings!
    DC4 Dano.jpg

Dolebludger and rednefceleb like this.
  11. Dolebludger

chasenblues,

Do you mean on those 90s reissues you must remove the neck to adjust the TR?

rednefceleb likes this.
  12. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

I only did a cursory look for info at some other threads on a couple of forums. Going from the different reply's,It seemed like some of the 90's reissues came with adjustment and some didn't. No definitive yes or no answer.

My thought was "Well if it ain't got no truss rod hole/cover at the top,The only other place it could be is at the heel"

The bodies on these guitars don't appear to have any channel or access point to get at the adjustment nut,So just going by that i'd think yes you'd have to remove the neck to adjust it.

Dolebludger likes this.
  13. Dolebludger

Chassen,

Good assumption. I did a bit of looking online, and it appears that all the 2018 Dano line-up have TR covers, indicating an adjustable nut on the new ones that you don’t have to take the guitar apart to use. Better late than never!

14. rednefceleb

Hey... I wrote to the owner of the 90's Dano that I posted @ top of thread. He said it has an adjustable truss rod. There's no truss cover. I don't understand a guitar that you have to remove the neck from to adjust the neck. I need the string tension on the guitar for adjusting the neck attitude. That may be the 'wrong way' to do the adjustment but I don't care. Never broken anything yet. :)

15. judson

judson Senior Member

the 60's originals are great and check the recent prices on those and the old 60's imports that were sold thru catalogs or department stores

those prices have almost doubled in the past three years, including the tube amps from the same period....if you see them at a yard sale for $20 bucks grab em !

16. Dolebludger

I agree. The string tension is part of the equation of getting the neck relief right. It's better than no TR and better than a non-adjustable TR -- But not much.

rednefceleb likes this.
  17. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

The guitars are cool and have style. My ears always found the pickups 'tinkly' for lack of a better word. And not in a good way.

18. Dolebludger

Left Paw,

I don’t think they would fit my playing style either. But other players have gotten good music out of them. And if I ever see one in a store, I’ll sure give it a try.

Years ago I bought a 50s Sears six string bass made by Dano for $35. About ten years ago, I sold it for $800. Go figure.

rednefceleb likes this.
  19. Gibsonrocknroll

Gibsonrocknroll Senior Member

I have a 2015 Danelectro DC-59 Reissue with the hot NOS lipstick pickups. It has an adjustable truss rod. It's a hex nut.

IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1542.JPG IMG_1544.JPG

rednefceleb likes this.