D-Tuna with Les Paul Axcess?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by lpaul626, Aug 22, 2017.

1. lpaul626

lpaul626 Senior Member

I'm thinking about picking up a Les Paul Axcess. I assume I can use a D-Tuna with the Floyd? Would I have to block off the trem? Can I use it floating?

2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

D-Tuna can't be used floating. They call "blocking" "stabilizing the bridge".

If you don't block the bridge, when you D-tune, the other strings will flat.

http://www.dtuna.com/faq.php

In other news..... I just got the joke. I thought of the D-tuna as something to get a string to tune to D (which it does).

I didn't notice the pun "detune". Seriously. I just noticed.

3. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

[​IMG]

Who likes this.
  4. DarrellV

LOL!!! I do it all the time! You should see the looks I get at work! :eek2:

Who likes this.
  5. Who

6. lpaul626

lpaul626 Senior Member

What's the best option for "stabilizing"/blocking the bridge ? I see several different ones out there. I'd like to be able to easily remove it as well.

7. Who

"Tremel No" is a popular option. I haven't used one, but it will do the job.

[​IMG]

The_Nuge and irocdave12 like this.
  8. Who

If you want to save some money, you can pick this up at Lowes's or Home Depot! ;)

[​IMG]

The_Nuge and RayTorvalds like this.
  9. lpaul626

lpaul626 Senior Member

Can you u still do dives with this?

10. Who

If a "dive" is pushing the trem arm towards the body, the answer is "yes".

Long video, but he gets to the point in the first couple of minutes.

11. deadringer

deadringer Senior Member

I've done this with an Axcess and it's not worth, trust me. The D-Tuna only works well on a top mounted Floyd Rose. A recessed mounted Floyd Rose, like the Axcess, isn't going to work well. I used a Tremol-No with it as well. The Tremol-No I recommend, love that thing. The D-Tuna? Nope.

Yes, you can still dive with the Tremol-No. You can lock it for dive only, or lock it for to a fixed bridge. Or just leave it unlocked to free float for dives and pull ups.
    With the D-Tuna, you can only use it for dive only. Not to mention they are a pain in the ass to keep in tune. The D-Tuna uses a small allen wrench for tuning once you get it setup.

Oh and if you do decide to put the D-Tuna on there, it's going to sit barely above the body and the back of the recessed route for the Floyd.
    Pull up on the Floyd and it's going to contact the body, remove all the strings at once? Now it's pressing into the body because of the spring tension.

So to recap... Tremol-No = good. D-Tuna = bad. :thumb:

12. lpaul626

lpaul626 Senior Member

Thanks. I was hoping to use an Axcess as a gigging guitar and we do some stuff in drop D. I usually just tune the low E and was hoping this would be a quick option. I guess I can't quickly detune with the Floyd? (Never owned a Floyd before)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  13. DarrellV

Would something like a Hipshot work from the other end?
    Obviously the E string could not be locked down at the nut and the tremol-no would still be needed at the bridge, but this would still get him a quick drop D.

And the fine tuning looks to be done without special tools...

My 2 cents

[​IMG]

14. deadringer

deadringer Senior Member

I've used my Axcess in a couple of gigs with the Tremol-No this way. Just set the Tremol-No to dive only and setup your low E string with enough slack left for the fine tuner grub screw on the Floyd to be able to back out to D. It won't be 100% accurate once you drop the E to a D, but it will be close enough no one will notice the difference and it will get you through some songs.

Also, go try out an Axcess with a Floyd Rose if you can. If you've never used a Floyd, you might not like it. They're pretty tedious to get setup, but once they are they're pretty solid.

15. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

Dtuna makes the other strings go sharp, not flat on a floating tremolo.

If you plan to float the tremolo, I have a solution I recently e.mailed to floyd rose himself as an upgrade to his tremolo stop lock so you can still have a stable tremolo that won't go sharp when you palm it but still allows pulling up.

I sold the last guitar I had it on and haven't yet done this to the others since they don't have tremolo clearance routes for pulling up.

Add this..........

[​IMG]

To this..........

[​IMG]

The trick is finding the correct spring pressure and distance from the fulcrum point of the tremolo.

They come in tons of spring rates.

What you want is the tremolo to gently stop on the ball and then tighten the tremolo springs slightly but not enough to push the ball in.

Even better.....get rid of the lock nut (not shown in pic) and use a spring between block and head of bolt to keep it from turning.

Spring will also pull the head away and remove any slack in the threads.

The design really needs to be thicker where it is threaded because it sure looks weak.

16. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

As far as anything Floyd Rose goes this is the place to go for all your needs.
    http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index

The owner Adam is awesome and will take the time to get on the phone with you and give you real world help and info. Helped me finally get my Lifeson Axcess right after two other techs failed miserably.

17. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

^^Yup yes and yeah^^ This guy knows what he's talking about. All good advice. My Axcess was my first FR equipped guitar and there were growing pains to say the least. If not for FU tone and the Tremel-No system I probably would have gave up on the guitar I dreamed of owning shortly after getting it. I wasted a lot of money screwing around on set ups. I learned a lot of techs own the trick little string change tool and swear they can do FR set ups but really don't know shit about them and how they are meant to work properly. The last guy before I found FU tone, charged me $70 bucks for a string change and so called set up and sent my guitar home with me with the bridge tilted back angled towards the bottom strap button when it supposed to be level. Guy claimed that's how Gibson wanted it set up because he worked on another AL Axcess that came from Gibson with bridge like that lol. I didn't know better at the time because I was new to FR trems. But damn that's step #1 in having a FR work right. Tremel-No system in dive only mode was a game changer for me. Cuts in half the quirks that frustrate people about Floyds

deadringer likes this.
  18. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Before you take the plunge make sure the Floyd will still work well with the style of music you play. Particularly if you do a lot of whole step string bends and so you understand the domino effect that happens when using a FR.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    deadringer likes this.
  19. lpaul626

lpaul626 Senior Member

Thanks ... so how did he help? Equipment? Mod? Did he actually set up the LP? The vids? Sounds like you're using the Tremol-no with D-Tuna? I'd like to do this without drilling additional screws into the LP. Looks like you can do this with the Tremol-no using the existing screw holes.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  20. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

lol, clever !