Czech made Snakepit sig., strange color

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by KNAC, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Can we see a nice sharp closeup pic of that Braz?

1 person likes this.
  2. djseban

djseban Junior Member

Sure, here you go. I attached two pics - with and without flash - I don't know which is better. It would be nice, if that's braz rosewood :)

Attached Files:

3. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

It's got some dark veins in it but I don't think it's Brazilian. If you could buy an Epi with a braz board I'd buy it just to rip the fret board off it. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

There's one for sale Slash Epiphone Gibson Snakepit Black | eBay

This one is quite expensive IMHO. Neck repaired if we believe google translator.

But this confirms there are batch of Black signatures out there.

5. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

I would love to know the serial number on this guitar to see if it is a Czech-made LP. It is in Germany, so the possibility is there.

6. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

B10414265 according the listing. Bohemian it is. Same guy has red one also (I97062740). Serials can be found at "Artikelmerkmale" box above the item description.

7. RTH

Excellent! Thank you.

8. djseban

djseban Junior Member

Small update on the thread. I asked Epiphone about my guitar (photos in post #19). They replied saying, that serial number is genuine, and it's surely Bohemian-made guitar, but they don't have any info about black finish of Snakepit LPs. What's more, they said that Snakepit LPs were produced only in Trans Red finish.

So I guess it's a factory mistake or more probably Bohemia just released some black Snakepits. Anyway I think it isn't many of this guitars in Europe.

My best

9. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

Why would not it be someone who repainted the guitar in black, bought on ebay a snake pit decal, and then gloss finish ? Or it is not at all a Snakepit, just a black guitar with a decal.

10. RandyRhoadsLesPaul

RandyRhoadsLesPaul Senior Member

Honestly the color doesn't matter to me. That's a sick-looking guitar

nemesis0710 likes this.
  11. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

On the back of the tuners there is a symbol I haven't seen before. Is that a Snake logo stamped into the tuners?

The possible reason a small number of black ones were produced could be as simple as that for a short period of time they ran out of red paint. If you have have ever worked in a factory you would know that production wont stop, they will just substitute with something that is on hand.

[​IMG]

12. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

The Symbol is the 'S' from Schaller Germany

[​IMG]

AFAIK the Bohemian factory used Schaller parts, tuners, hardware and even pickups

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Bohemia_Musico-Delicia

2 people like this.
  13. djseban

djseban Junior Member

That's funny, my Snakepit is B10414268, which probably means these guitars were made on the same day :slash:

Seriously, I doubt it. We have found 3 of this guitars already (mine, KNAC's, and that one on eBay), so it has to be a serial job. Also the guy who sold me that guitar was the first owner, he said he bought it in a music store in Germany. Of course, the store could repaint/refinish it, but in this case, more effective way to earn more money, would be repainting it in Trans Red. Anyway, original Red Snakepit from Bohemia would only differ in paint-job, pickups and hardware color, since long tenon was a standard in that factory.

The black ones production date vary from 1998-2001, but it could be true.

I've had 3 Czech Epiphone's, and I would add, that Schaller parts were used until 2000-2001. I've got one Czech Epi from 1998 and, in fact, it's equipped with an imperial-system bridge and tailpiece ("Made in Germany" on the bottom), but I've had one from 2000 and it was equipped with standard Epiphone (metric) parts. My Snakepit, when I bought it, was also equipped like any ordinary Epiphone out there (it's from 2001). The only things which pointed, that it's Czech-produced were X-marked pickups, long-tenon, pots similiar to other Bohemia-guitars and serial number.

My best

1 person likes this.
  14. RTH

Regardless of what Epiphone says, the black Snakepits are legit. We have seen several examples of them over the past few years. Epiphone has a bad habit of not keeping very good (if any) records of their OEM production. Most of the time, the poor souls at Epiphone/Gibson customer service are either clueless or not allowed to go off script when it comes to guitar information.

2 people like this.
  15. kjc

kjc Junior Member

8Just caught this thread as was looking for info on my black snakepit.... I've had it for about 11 years got it from Germany on ebay.... at least there's more out there ��

16. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

I was gonna throw out the idea of it being a prototype, but that's less likely if there are multiple of them floating around... (and I hate how that word gets thrown around about any guitar the seller can't find another picture of in a 2 second google search)

For whatever reason, it seems contractors like to make unique runs without Epiphone's consent from time to time (like the Samick-built G-400/R with the bound neck and traps from '89-90).

17. kjc

kjc Junior Member

Just caught this thread... I purchase a black version from Germany in about 2002... I also have the red epi version..

18. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

my Epiphone Snakepit
    snakepitsig.jpg