Czech made Snakepit sig., strange color

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by KNAC, Jan 22, 2014.

1. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

Just bought Czech made Epiphone Les Paul Slash Snapepit signature from original owner. He has bought it from Germany in '98. It's original but the strap buttons are changed.

It has "normal" Czech Epi specs; long tenon, Gibson style truss rod, Schaller tuners, "X"-marked pickups etc.

Also Snakepit decal on body and "Slash signature model" on headstock. So far so good...

But the color. It's black (or Ebony you name it). Some may call it's a fake or it could be hybrid of standard ebony and Slash's sig. I can't find any signs of refinishing. Both decals are under the lacquer.

Please let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Vinkuhippula

Vinkuhippula Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  3. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

I would not pay a signature price for a non exact signature guitar, must be exactly stock imho.
    it's like tuning on a '66 mustang, should be punished by law.

4. davies

davies Banned/Not Banned V.I.P. Member

If it's 'original' apart from the strap buttons then it couldn't be any different from the red version if it tried. Check it against the EpiWiki entry here and you'll see what I mean.

Control knobs, TRC, bridge/tailpiece/pup cover colour, pickups, poker chip, tuners... the list is long.

Based on this pic from the EpiWiki, looks like the logo position varied on genuine models too:
    [​IMG]

The Snakepit was part of the 'Classic' series and therefore should have, at the very least, open coil pups. I've never seen a black/ebony one before. It could be a very well done refinish or could just be a model we've never seen before.

1 person likes this.
  5. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

Very strange. To me, it looks like a genuine Czech Epiphone and the timeframe is right for both Czech production and the Snakepit signature guitar. Some thing dont add up, like the gold hardware, the positioning of the Snakepit decal, the color and lack of a flametop. More pics might help.

1 person likes this.
  6. davies

davies Banned/Not Banned V.I.P. Member

It's a weird one isn't it? At this stage, nothing to indicate a fake... but it's nothing like the 'proper' Snakepit either.

7. RTH

Yeah, thats the dilemma, for sure. To me, it looks like a geniune Czech Epiphone, but not a geniune Slash Snakepit. I like the refin idea, but the chances of that are pretty slim and getting the Slash signature on the headstock would've been a feat unto itself. Maybe it was an under the table special order, or possibly someone that worked at the factory wanted one in black with gold hardware etc. We may never know with this one.

1 person likes this.
  8. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

I don't have any doubt that it's a genuine Czech made Epi, but I have to agree that it's a very strange 'Snakepit' sig guitar. I think you should send some pics to Customer Support to see what they come back with. And don't worry about the Snake graphic not being in the same place. It was just a decal, not painted like the Gibsons were, and it didn't always get placed the same by each worker.

Congrats on the guitar, though! Looks like you have something quite rare in your hands, maybe even one of a kind!

9. purevilpleasure

purevilpleasure Senior Member

I didn't think the Slash Snakepit came with a Gibson TRC....yes I know an easy change but I thought they all said Les Paul Classic.

Besides the Headstock the darn thing points to it just being a normal black standard someone tossed a decal on?

Congrats none the less on scoring a Czech Epi...hard to come by I hear.

10. RTH

I agree with you except for the Slash signature on the headstock. While not impossible to do, the difficulty level is quite high. That is the real head scratcher.

2 people like this.
  11. Bubbletonic

Bubbletonic Senior Member

They're all put together by people, it's not unfeasible that someone in the factory that built these put it together for himself?

2 people like this.
  12. RTH

That was one of the things I suggested upthread and a good possibility.

3 people like this.
  13. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

Thanks for the comments so far!

Some answers to things you pointed

Pups, the real Snakepit should have open coils. These are original pups, "X" marked on the bottom like in most Czech epis.

The reason to buy this one was European made Epi, not Slash sig.

Hardware, it's equipped with stock Czech Epi parts. The factory made original Snakepits also
    1997 / 2001 - Epiphone Slash Les Paul Classic Snakepit - Collectors Guitars Guide
    Could be mistake in factory and quality control didn't rejected it for some reason.

Gibson TRC, Czech card again...

My best guess is that this is a factory made "human error" Lester. I can submit more pics if that would help.

1 person likes this.
  14. RTH

I dont think more pics will be necessary. It is definitely a Czech Les Paul, so that is all more pics will really confirm. Now i'm wondering if there were any actual Snakepits made at Bohemia Musico. They had to get the decals from somewhere...

15. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

The Question is - did the Bohemia factory ever produce any (correct colored) Slash Snakepits ?

The ones I've seen all were Korean made...:hmm:

So human error with the sticker would be hardly possible :hmm:

16. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

2 people like this.
  17. Vinkuhippula

Vinkuhippula Senior Member

Maybe a thing that should not be needs to be played on it, and that'll unveil the secrets of the universe...

How plausible is that it's a prototype or a practice piece? Trying the decals and all that. Or maybe someone indeed nicked the decals from the factory and made a custom one for himself.

18. RTH

Since we now know that Bohemia made Snakepits, it is definitely a factory job. It could have been a test guitar, as Vinkuhhippula suggested, or it could be a one-off for someone that worked at the factory. Even the gold hardware on a Standard is a bit odd. I'm voting that its a custom job for someone or someone that "knew" someone.

1 person likes this.
  19. djseban

djseban Junior Member

Like author of the thread said, I think it's some hybrid of Slash Signature and standard ebony. Anyway it sounds amazing. What's more interesting I gave it to the luthier for adjustments and overall check, and I asked what kind of wood is used on fingerboard - he said it's definitely brazillian rosewood (definitely, because I asked three times if he was sure :D, I thought Epiphone didn't use this kind of wood). I am attaching some pics, just to confirm, that KNAC's copy isn't only one :slash:

@edit: Ah, I forgot about the pickups. When I bought this guitar, it had pickups with gold covers, but I changed them to Gibson 490R and 490T - sounds more meaty :slash:

My best,
    Sebastian

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  20. RTH

You have a Czech Snakepit in Ebony also? Interesting... :hmm: