Customizing an Epiphone Discussion

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Destroythevoice, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Senior Member

What's up guys? So as most of you probably already have done in the past if not plan to... You most likely have already or are planning to customize your own beast of an Epi.. I've been doing so with my MKH 6 and 7 string models and they're coming along very nicely. Although...

I have been thinking long and hard about it and I want a really nice.. Classy looking Epiphone with an nice feel and sound.. I've played quite a few and as I've said in the past.. I've been REALLY surprised by the quality I've felt in most of these guitars compared to a 2,000 dollar Gibson.. Which makes me feel less devastated when customizing one as well because it won't hurt as much.

I've been looking at the Epiphone Honey Burst Pro guitar or even Heritage cherry color for quite some time.. I really would like a Gold Top as well.. But I want to customize it like crazy... Things I may be able to do on my own before potentially going to a luthier.

I was thinking of the simples of course.. Swap the bridge and tail.. MIGHT actually try a bigsby or the Evertune bridge that everyones been raving about lately. But I want a very classy looking guitar. And being that I'm a metal guitarist and very new still to this side of guitars.. I was hoping some of you can help me in building a CLASSY fu**ing guitar.

Let's dig deep guys... And if you have projects you've worked on PLEASE... Post photos and the story of the journey as to how you got there. I'd love to read and see all the work that's been done. I'm fascinated by this forum everytime I go onto it. One time I did see a guy take a Gold Top epiphone and turn it into a BEAUTIFUL 1956 style Gibson. He really killed it.

2. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

I love my Trib+ as-is. I could see dropping a DiMarzio Super Distortion or a Duncan in the bridge, but its a pretty good hard rock machine stock. Maybe go for one of the Prophecies with EMG actives preinstalled, and you shouldn't have to do much to have a gig worthy rod. Take a little scotchbright and knock the finish down to a matte maybe? Upgrade the tuners to locking and you are good to go

[​IMG]

truckermde and Who like this.
  3. Destroythevoice

This guitar is essentially exactly what my MKH guitars are like, I removed the EMGs immediately for my Seymour Duncan SH59 and SH5 and SH6 pickups. Super in love with them. I'm currently modding my 7 string now to have gold hardware and a few other things on it.

Right now I want a very nice classy oldschool looking guitar.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. Destroythevoice

So far I'm also thinking of taking the guitar to a luthier when I'm done with my own modifications.. Potentially have them age the hardware and the woods if at all possible due to the material on Epiphones... But I'll see about that.. But most importantly I was going to have the entire fretboard ripped off and have them put a nice piece of Ebony on it and re-fret the whole guitar to perfection. Hence why I contemplated a Gold-top les paul Standard maybe.. I can get a nice deal on one.. And then put a nice Ebony fretboard on that with some upgraded hardware.

5. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Given how ludicrously expensive that job is going to be, why not just buy an LPC with an ebony fretboard and gold hardware already installed, that is going to be a higher quality guitar in every aspect than a Chinese Epiphone?

scrumm21, hbucker and paruwi like this.
  6. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]

7. Destroythevoice

Fair enough! But I did speak to a luthier about the job.. They told me it would only be about a 2-300 dollar job if I buy the ebony slotted already which isn't too expensive.. I also get a pretty fair deal on some of these Epis because of my job so I wouldn't be spending anywhere near a thousand on doing all this work thankfully if I did it. Again that all depends. Because I DO want a Les Paul Custom really bad from Gibson but I just haven't found the guitar I want yet.

8. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Have you checked out what you can buy that's used and MIJ like an Edwards? They do several LPC models with ebony fretboards that are somewhat reasonably priced. You should get one for

If it's MIJ it's going to be a higher quality guitar in every respect than a Chinese Epi ever will.

You need to keep your options open before committing to something like this.

Who and Destroythevoice like this.
  9. Destroythevoice

Absolutely.. Edwards are phenomenal for the price. I just wanted something I can modify heavily that isnt crazy expensive. Like... minus the ebony fretboard idea I just want to make a classy looking Epiphone Gold top or honey burst guitar

10. stiff fingers

stiff fingers Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

If your going to do extensive mods I would suggest finding a husk, it is much more cost effective. But keep in mind that almost any Epi husk will be a slim taper neck. I have 3 Epi's totally stock, and two that are modded, I don't even want to discuss how much money is in the 60's tribute which was bought new. At this point I don't think the 60's trib's need modded, unless the player wants a different set of pups, or push pull functions. The other modded Epi's, and all 3 Gibson's where bought as husk's, or needing work. They ended up being just what I wanted, at a lower price than I could have bought them.

By far the most effective mod was "roman-izing" the neck. His thread is easy to follow and really improves playability.

11. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

As far as Epiphone goes, you can't beat an ebony Les Paul Custom for class. Beautiful guitars and very good quality. I think they're about $600 brand new most places.

12. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

My take.. FWIW...

You basically have two options..
    1 Get the Epi and use it until you save up enough money to get a much better LP from Gibson, new or used.
    2 Modify the current Epi to fit your needs.

Now,, while option 1 might be possible for some it's not an option that I could do. Why? Saving up say, 1,500 or more isn't going to happen for some time if ever. And I can use that money for more pressing needs. To me that's a want and doesn't fall under the need category.

Option two.. makes sense to me. I'm getting two used pickups for around 100 and I can get them replaced for 55. Total cost of 155 and with the initial investment of 420 I haven't spent all that much. Add in the new tuners(60) my total investment is around, 640. And I've spread the cost out over time.

To me, at least, doing an upgrade to the Epi is the way to go. If I had the money I would get a much better LP to start with.

Jeff

scrumm21 and Who like this.
  13. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  14. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

That is an option I never thought of and it makes sense. If I had the equipment to do the job I would go that route. Or just found a luthier who could do a great job that would be a perfect option.

/Bunny thinking..

15. pbekkerh

pbekkerh Senior Member

>One time I did see a guy take a Gold Top epiphone and turn it into a BEAUTIFUL 1956 style Gibson. He really killed it.

That sounds bad, what did he do to it ;-)

16. Destroythevoice

Yeah both my MKH Epi customs have ebony fretboards. I love them so much. Got them both at practically thievery prices... Just wanted to get a typical generic but classy old school rock guitar now that wasnt black lol

17. Destroythevoice

Any idea where id find husks? Ebay or something? Im curious to do the work on these.

18. Destroythevoice

Wait was it you?! I been trying to find that thread for the longest now.

19. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Destroythevoice likes this.
  20. pbekkerh

pbekkerh Senior Member

Nononono, I just wondered if killing a guitar is good or bad in your vocabulary ;-)

Destroythevoice likes this.