Customizing a Custom with a New Fretboard

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Mr. Beef, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

that's horrible.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

How does a job go so bad, then get sent to the owner like that ?

3. TheDevice

TheDevice Senior Member

that ruined my night. shit man.

4. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Totally butchered instrument. I'm sorry for your guitar man.

It's clear that was his first fretboard and I hope the last, at least he should stop using the customers guitars to learn the job.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  5. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Total refund, or replacement value of the guitar. Only two solutions.

That's not just bad, that's completely f'd!

6. Colorado kid

Colorado kid Junior Member

A couple of thoughts ....
    1. The saying "More dollars than cents "comes to mind . I work to hard for my money to even consider doing this .
    2 . You took a beautiful black on black on black custom and ruined the looks .
    3 . Even if this project turned out perfect the guitars value is now ( and forever ) ruined . I wouldn't pay $400 bucks for it .
    4 . If you don't like your guitar , Sell it and buy the one you like .
    5 . Shipping your guitar to a stranger across the country for a major repair is a leap of faith at best . Who cares that he is a " supporting mlp member " . That is Internet credentials. Credentials on the Internet is worthless . Have you heard of being catfish ed ?
    6. Now there is another pos guitar that will never be right and will be sold again and again frustrating all of its future owners and ruining that new guitar day feeling .
    7. The saying never feel sorry for someone that owns a jet comes to mind . If you didn't like a black les paul custom and could afford to change it and ruin it should we feel sorry for you ?

jbat likes this.
  7. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

Cool story bro.

Howard2k, metale and I Break Things like this.
  8. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Wow. Strong asshole vibes right here.

shickma0, IGRocker, Howard2k and 10 others like this.
  9. boim

boim Junior Member

Three things off the top of my head:
    1) Messes with your intonation, as the frets should be spaced such that the peak, along the centre-line of the fret, is at the correct position to play a given note. Possibly they're not on this particular fretboard anyway...
    2) Potentially causes buzzing as fretting the note will hold the string against the back edge of the fret, and it could potentially vibrate against the front edge slightly, though I'm not sure whether that happens in practice.
    3) Presumably it's flattened from properly shaped fretwire, so you've got a lower fret (which may or may not be a bad thing, depending who you are), and less material left for future fret dresses.

jdto likes this.
  10. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Makes sense. If I were Evo, I'd want a refund.

jdto likes this.
  11. Colorado kid

[QUO soundTE="jdt: 82 7 52, member: 103305"]Wow. Strong asshole vibes right here.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe I sound like an ass hole but am I just posting what everyone else is thinking but to polite to say it ? Your not disagreeing with me ... so thanks !

12. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I think you were the only one thinking those things

Having read your post, I do agree with this:

2 . You took a beautiful black on black on black custom and ruined the looks .
    3 . Even if this project turned out perfect the guitars value is now ( and forever ) ruined .

But those statements are completely subjective. The appearance of the guitar is EXACTLY the thing the customer wanted changed. It's not up to you or I to decide what looks good to Evo.

13. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Maybe I sound like an ass hole but am I just posting what everyone else is thinking but to polite to say it ? Your not disagreeing with me ... so thanks ![/QUOTE]
    I disagree with you. Evo stated it's a 2004 Epiphone. Nice guitar, but it's not like it's a vintage Gibson. I understand wanting to personalize it. That aside, all the accounts point to Mr. Beef behaving in a less than professional manner to say the least. Evo was paying for a professional service and received much less than that. Nearly a year to change the fretboard and it comes back with new damage and a poorly done job? That's unacceptable. If you advertise as a professional luthier, you should be able to perform a professional job and provide quality customer service.

Again, I don't really know anyone in this thread. I'm only going on what's been posted here.

jdto likes this.
  14. boim

boim Junior Member

It's alright, I can do that. Guitars aren't sacred, they're lumps of wood, plastic and metal and different people have different preferences. It's not like Gibson focuses on catering to unusual tastes (most of the time, anyway...). I think maple boards look great on LP Customs. But that's irrelevant: A guy liked the maple fretboard look, wanted a maple fretboard and payed to get a maple fretboard put on professionally. So give the guy a maple fretboard.

smk506, jdto and I Break Things like this.
  15. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Don't feed the troll guys.

16. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Actually, I disagree with pretty much everything you said in your "couple of thoughts" post, starting with the fact that seven is not a couple ;)

Not your money, not your decision. It's none of your damn business what he does with his money.
    Completely subjective. The guy likes that look and I think it's a cool look, too.
    It's his guitar. Who gives a crap about the value to someone else if it turns out the way he likes? I don't recall him offering to sell it to you, anyway.
    Didn't you just say no one would buy it like that? He liked his guitar until Beef ruined it.
    There are thousands, if not millions, of perfectly legitimate internet businesses operating in the world. Maybe you want to live in the past, but most people are ok with doing business online. Mr. Beef has put himself forward as a professional guitar modifier, which has sadly turned out to be mostly untrue in this case.
    Because of Mr. Beef, not the guitar owner. Although I think Mr. Beef should become the guitar owner at this point and pay for ruining a really nice Custom.
    And here we have it. Butthurt over someone else's good fortune to own an expensive instrument is pretty lame.

So, in closing, no one else was thinking what you said. This boondoggle is totally on Mr. Beef's head.

17. Colorado kid

I didn't know this was an epiphone . I thought it was a gibson . Am I the only one that thought it was a gibson ? That's why I was so opposed to this . If it's an epiphone then who cares ? Put a velvet elvis fretboard on it ...It sucks he get ripped off for the work though .

jdto likes this.
  18. Colorado kid

jdto likes this.
  19. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

It's not "just an Epiphone".

Likely rarer than a 2004 Gibson, and certainly rarer here in the US.

I don't know if that makes you more or less "opposed" to it. It's Evo8's guitar. He's the one who gets the only say in whether this is a mod that should be done to the guitar.

IGRocker, PierM and jdto like this.
  20. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Man I was really hoping Mr. Beef would come through and salvage some of his credibility. Unfortunate outcome for everyone.

Evo, if you paid with a credit card I would be working on a charge back right now. You'll likely have to pony up some extra scratch on top of that, but get that thing to Greg at BCR if you can and be done with it. This isn't a ruined guitar, it's a speed bump on your road to enjoyment.

Howard2k, jdto and rockstar232007 like this.