Customizing a Custom with a New Fretboard

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Mr. Beef, Sep 21, 2016.

1. PierM

PierM Premium Member

This is embarrassing.

2. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

Where's the Beef?

3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Hopefully in his workshop ... though I have my doubts.

4. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

He's been online his week.

Hope you get your guitar back. Seems like any deadbeat with a couple of tools can call themselves a luthier these days.

jerry47, PierM, TheZ and 1 other person like this.
  5. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

Have you considered contacting the local authorities where Mr. Beef lives?

6. socialhero

socialhero Senior Member

He has a FB page in addition to his website: https://m.facebook.com/windycityguitars/

Granted, there's not a lot of likes/traffic but if you have FB and make some posts tagging him and his shop it's another way to apply pressure.

IME, if the guy has any interest in saving his reputation and maintaining business - he has a storefront and address listed, etc. - the more noise you're able to make about him running you around and potentially ripping you off, the more likely it is he'll make it right.

At least that's what I had to do to get my $ back from the guy who shirked me. It also opened the lid on a bunch of other people he was playing against each other, doing the same thing to.

Just a thought.

TheZ likes this.
  7. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

I don't have any social network accounts since I joined the Army. I could give him a negative google review though. And I was considering contacting his local law enforcement since they are very close to his "business", but I'm waiting to see what the mods/admins course of action will be.
    Just recently another member contacted me and is also getting Mr. Beefs silent treatment. Its now 2 more people on this forum that are still waiting on their guitars( 3 if you count me), and another who had unsatisfactory work done on his guitar.
    How many more, James??

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    PierM and TheZ like this.
  8. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Damn that sucks. Are you in direct/private contact with him?

9. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

I was through email. Now getting ignored.

10. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Damn that's not good.

11. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

I knew it from the start just from looking at his picture's, His work was Let's call it... "Learn as you go"!! In saying that, It's no big deal if one is working on ones own project. But when you start jacking up other people's stuff the line has to be drawn.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    yamariv likes this.
  12. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

I remember reading your post about that a while ago on one of the other threads. Looks like you were right all along.

jerry47 likes this.
  13. bbaug14

bbaug14 Senior Member

He did some work for me as well that was less than satisfactory to say the least. I am considering doing a separate thread on it.

Howard2k and TheZ like this.
  14. horseman

horseman Premium Member

+1

The first guitar he did was a top re-fin and I really liked. The other two I sent... well, lets say at least I got them back.

15. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

Apparently I'm not subscribed to this thread.

Evo8, I told you that I redid your fretboard because you were correct in that the inlays were off. Although remaking the board from scratch takes some time, I can't argue with you that it's taken too long. I'm trying to balance a full-time 80 hour per week career and being a single parent with doing some work on guitars (among other things). I've been polite to you since you contacted me and you've been nothing but rude. I might have missed your email, but the adult thing to do would have been to give me a call to vent your frustration rather than doing it in a public forum. If you're a teenager, then I understand. I wouldn't know since you only respond with one sentence emails.

Horseman, I'm happy that you liked the Deluxe, but I'm really surprised that you were not satisfied with your R8, considering you emailed me saying that it was awesome and "looked just like a real 1958." I don't have a problem addressing concerns and I would go out of my way to see to it that the problem is solved. Like anyone else, I ask that they're expressed in a professional and respectful manner. I don't recall receiving a payment from you. Maybe that's how you were conveying your message and I was too dense to realize it? Would have been nice to know through a respectful (even a disrespectful) email message and I would have made sure it was taken care of.

Jerry47, I don't know what your problem is. For someone who PM's me for advice/information, you have been really critical. Again, I'm cool with constructive criticism and I enjoy advice and learning from what others are doing on this forum. If you don't like my threads, don't read them. I don't know you at all so I don't know if you're an asshole or just really good at acting like one. There's other things to do besides bashing people on public forums and posting negative comments on social media... although you seem to have made an art out of it. Maybe you were bullied as a kid and this is how you make up for it? "What a waste of a guitar" and "looks like pumpkin pie?" Nice comments. Those are just rude statements and seem kind of personal when you go out of your way to make them on other sites. Did I do something to you?

Up until now, I've enjoyed the company and friends I've made through the forum.

Dineley likes this.
  16. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

After pming others, I chose to use the public forum since it IS a public forum and finding things like this weren't an isolated event. And it wasn't just one email you "missed", it was several...over a course of 6 months. And you only said it was "one" of the inlays being crooked and that was on 3Apr. Before that, 28Jan, when I got to an actual computer I saw that the inlays were crooked but you said they "look fine". What more do you want me to write on email when most of the time is me asking about the status of my guitar? That said, I still have not seen pics of my guitar since Jan and have been without my guitar for close to a year at this point.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  17. horseman

horseman Premium Member

Well, I was not trashing you neither sharing my experience as I thought would be a one off. But you want to share the issues here so here we go.

The deluxe you did a fantastic job indeed.

I did pay the R8 service indeed, I am happy to send or post here the paypal receipt. The pictures were amazing and the first impression was really cool, so I wrote you that. Then I plugged the guitar and it was not working, remember I did ask you if was playing before you ship and you said yes, then I found out the pots and b-bees were burned and you did not reply my email (one of the countless you did not reply by the way). I did not like and I sent to HM to get it done properly.

I did not pay the studio that you f*** up the neck (squared marks all over it like it fell). Painting had drips! The veneer was not replaced, only MOP logo. The nut was destroyed, no clean cut, strings are all different heights. I am happy to get the refund on those things first and than I'll pay your cut.
    - Jonesy harness ($149)
    - Bumblebees ($59)
    - 6/6 nut ($14)
    - New studio body with ebony board ($450)

Then I'll return this body the way it is and your $400.
    You need to send me $272. I did not bother trying to get this back as you were not replying any of my messages. But if you want to get your payment, I am happy to get mine first.

yamariv and TheZ like this.
  18. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

You don't seem to have any problem whatsoever when people vent praise over the quality of your work on a public forum. So why should you have any problem with people venting frustration over the quality of your work as well? Obviously you only like it when people talk about you publically when it suits you, not when it suits the customer!

So why should Evo8 have any obligation to PM you? He has every right to communicate his frustration publicly just as much as he has the right to praise it! By choosing to broadcast the quality of your work on a public forum, you are giving people the ability to openly criticise your work, whether you like that criticism and/or the mannerisms of that criticism or not. That is a risk that you have implicitly accepted responsibility for if things go south like they have done.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  19. socialhero

socialhero Senior Member

Maybe you shouldn't have a sponsor forum here and actively sell your services then?

rockstar232007 and TheZ like this.
  20. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Life is easy: just never accept any job you know you can't manage in a proper timeframe (1 year for a fretbaord swap it's not acceptable) and, more important, check your job twice before posting pictures on a public forum. That approach you are showing here does make your activity looking totally amateurish.