Custombuckers vs DiMarzio

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by irocdave12, Sep 3, 2017.

1. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Do you guys think it would be a step down in quality to replace Custombuckers with a set of 36 anniversary PAF or their 59 PAF that DiMarzio makes. I'd like double creams but wasn't sure I wanna spend the bigger money on boutique pups yet to get them and as we know DiMarzio has that area covered n defended. I'm leaning toward thinking the Custombuckers are probably better made and more authentic?

2. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

I didn't love the Custom buckers that came on my R8, but a lot of guys here do love them. I've had the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF set in another Les Paul and they're a really great set at an affordable price. But the bridge pickup doesn't bark the same way a really good PAF clone does when you role the tone control down a bit (it's more like a "quack"). But I think the Custom Buckers are a more versatile set of pickups vs. the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF set.

irocdave12 likes this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Go to any non-USA maker and DC is perfectly available.
    Vineham springs to mind. As does Sigil......with options equal or cheaper to Dimarzio.

Tonally there is no pickup superior or inferior.....just a whole range of personal opinions.

4. Eric R

Eric R Member

I'm using Dimarzio's for years now. Though I can't remember playing CB's .. I do have lot's of experience with different burstbuckers, alnico's and the ceramic 496R and 500T

I prefer Dimarzio any day of the week.
    Using Norton in bridge paired with bluesbucker in neck.