Custom Shop with a swimming pool route?!

Discussion in 'Fender' started by danisnotstan, Aug 28, 2017.

1. danisnotstan

danisnotstan Member

Hello Everyone,

I was about to make a trade tonight for a 1994 Fender Custom Shop American Classic Stratocaster and I popped the neck and guard and BAM... it had a swimming pool route. Everything looked legit (C.O.A. included) until I saw this. Can anyone confirm if a Custom Shop Strat would've ever been made with a pool route?

2. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I have an American Standard Strat (1995), and it has a swimming pool route AND a poplar body.

Maybe the factory did the swimming pool on most models with the exception being the AV line, amongst others.

Sorry if its not the definite answer you're looking for, but I hope it helps you in your search. :cheers:

3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yes, the CS has made Pool routes. I specifically ordered one in the late 90s. Personally, I used to change out my strats a lot - different pickguards, pickups, etc., depending on the band I was in. I wanted a consistent base but was infinitely configurable. The swimming pool route was the way to go.

Mine was a "1965" Strat. Alder body, Burgundy Mist Metallic laquer. The neck was a "C" profile with a bound rosewood fretboard, small headstock, light nitro finish on the back. Had gold hardware and came from the CS with a white pearl pickguard, Gilmour EMGs, two volume, one tone, a three way blade and an on/off toggle that added the middle pickup to any of the blade positions. The first volume was for the bridge/neck pickups, the second for the middle pickup. Tone was master.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  4. danisnotstan

danisnotstan Member

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think a CS model would come with a pool route. I understand the reason why people could appreciate a pool route (humbuckers, etc) but I always assumed that the Custom Shop was the best of the best. I assumed the pool routes were a cost cutting measure and if that was the case, why would the Custom Shop cut any corners? This body had a pool route and the single circular jig hole like I know the American Standards from the time period came with. I searched Google and not only did I not find any other black American Classic models from the era but all of the other unloaded bodies that I found had SSS route. I assumed that someone put the CS neck on a Standard body. It seems as though this guitar is just an American Standard with a CS logo and a piece of paper that says it's something special (C.O.A). To be honest, it felt like any other 90's American Standard... It wasn't any better. It had the typical clear coat peeling... Even the headstock logo was coming off! (Which I've never seen before.) The seller seems to think it's worth $2500 with a replacement case and no candy besides the C.O.A... I can't imagine it's worth more than $1500... For comparison, I just sold an American Standard from the same era for $500. (I know that price was a little low but not by too much). Any additional input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  5. danisnotstan

danisnotstan Member

Thanks for the reply. I've owned Standards in this configuration but I just assumed that the Custom Shop would've been the best they could make, not just a body pulled from production?

6. danisnotstan

danisnotstan Member

[QUOTE="Mine was a "1965" Strat. Alder body, Burgundy Mist Metallic laquer. The neck was a "C" profile with a bound rosewood fretboard, small headstock, light nitro finish on the back. Had gold hardware and came from the CS with a white pearl pickguard, Gilmour EMGs, two volume, one tone, a three way blade and an on/off toggle that added the middle pickup to any of the blade positions. The first volume was for the bridge/neck pickups, the second for the middle pickup. Tone was master.[/QUOTE]

Your guitar sounds like it was sweet! That is what I would expect from CS... features that weren't normally available for a production model (binding, etc).

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Quick question....aside from a SP route making it easier to change pups, is there really an advantage to either cut?

8. danisnotstan

danisnotstan Member

I can see the SP route as being practical but I also see it as a time saving and cost cutting measure that Fender was known to use at the time on the Standard line. I've never seen a CS model in this configuration and I'm trying to authenticate the guitar. Thanks for the reply!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  9. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

You're welcome. I'm only
    Asking because I was reading a brochure for a Yamaha Pacifica, and one of the selling points was how the bridge humbucker was attached directly to the body and how it made for better tone. Seemed a dubious claim.

10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Mine didn't have the little holes, my body was "correct" minus the requested route. It was actually a pretty deep discussion with the builders - they were against it, but I was adamant because I KNEW I would be swapping out electronics regularly.

There have been some CS necks floating around on ebay (haven't looked recently, but a couple of years ago you could find them often), so a "parts" CS is possible......

danisnotstan likes this.
  11. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

having played guitars with body-mounted pickups, I would say there is something to it. As far as the actual routing layout, I couldn't tell much difference in tone from the various ones I've played

northernguitarguy likes this.
  12. danisnotstan

danisnotstan Member

I read somewhere that the 90's American Classic Stratocaster was pretty much an American Standard made in the Custom Shop. I don't know if that means it was actually hand crafted in the Custom Shop or just assembled in the Custom Shop from parts made on the regular production line? I've also seen some bodies that had a swimming pool route and a jig hole and some that didn't have the jig hole. This particular body had a jig hole below the swimming pool. It also had the neck tilt piece in the pocket and it had another hole of similar size right above that as well (never knew why). There were also 2 other small holes the size of a neck plate screw. I've seen some of these smaller screw holes on other supposed CS bodies as well. The fact that the builders were resisting about not wanting to do your swimming pool route kinda reinforces my original suspicion that this is an American standard body with a CS neck. Since it had the neck plate and COA and the clear coat was peeling like a 90's model would I'm convinced that the neck is real at least... maybe the original body was damaged and this was the fix? Either way, when I saw the red flag and I didn't want to make the deal without more research the seller got really upset (we both drove a half hour to meet after we made another deal a few nights earlier.) so I doubt I'll be hearing from him again anyway. We'll see I guess! haha

13. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

If you have doubts call or email Fender.