Custom Shop SG Cases

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Kirk2000, May 30, 2015.

1. Kirk2000

Kirk2000 Premium Member

I am thinking about buying a 61 reissue Les Paul SG Custom, 3 pick up version.. Two of the guitars from 98 and 99 come with Gibson USA cases and the others I am looking at from 2000 and 2006 have Gibson Custom cases.. I think after 2006 they used Gibson Historic on the cases.. Did Gibson USA ever make SG Customs and if not all the 61 Custom Les Paul SG's are Custom Shop produced? And did Gibson Custom use the Gibson USA guitar cases back then when they were working out of Gibson USA? Thanks if anyone knows.. KIRK

2. FiftySevenPhil

FiftySevenPhil Senior Member

Yes, they made them before there was a custom shop as such. Here, for example:

[​IMG]

3. Kirk2000

Kirk2000 Premium Member

Thanks.. The serial numbers on all 4 are 6 digit custom shop serial numbers, YYXXX1.. So, if the SG's don't have the USA serial numbers, YxxxYxxxx or the Made In USA stamp, are still Custom Shop guitars but put in Gibson USA cases from the factory then? I'm only concerned about the 98 and 99 years for the Les Paul SG Customs? The other two came in Gibson Custom cases.. The Custom Shop serial number thing is throwing me off when they have Gibson USA cases with them and so said are OHSC.