Custom Shop Norlin Re-issue...should they?

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by The_Sentry, Jun 26, 2009.

1. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Hey...2 questions...

1. Do you think Gibson should do a reissue on a Norlin-era Les Paul? (Asides from whether you'd want to see it or not, do you think something like that would make money?) We're talkin' non-weight relieved, non-chambered...beastly guitar.

2. Which model do you think they should do? I know a few came out in that era that aren't made these days...but I always thought those old Deluxes were badass....

2. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

I'd buy one. :naughty: I don't think many people would though..

3. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Eh...you might be right...it's hard to say. I do know that to a degree they don't sound at all like the newer Gibsons....

(But then again....you know, if they're willing to put out Holy Explorers, swiss cheese V's and electric boogaloo SG's, why not a LE Norlin re-issue? )

4. Boleskinehouse

I'd love to see the Deluxe come back. They could leave out the weight relief and use lighter mahogany. The other Norlin quirks I don't really care about, but I like the large headstocks.

There are a lot of mini-hum and p90 options to play with these days. :dude:

5. scoobyzjr

scoobyzjr Senior Member

I would buy a Norlin Standard re-issue. I don't think I'm down with the mini-buckers.

6. Boleskinehouse

My '76 has a particularly good sounding pair of minis. I'll admit that I don't like the look as much as full sized hums or p90s, but they can sound great.

7. scoobyzjr

scoobyzjr Senior Member

Oh, I didn't mean to dog the mini's and they may sound great, I just like to hook my pinky around the corner of the pickup when I solo and I am not sure that the mini would feel right - and they are odd looking! :laugh2::laugh2:

8. Boleskinehouse

They are odd looking indeed. :laugh2:

[​IMG]

Is everyone tired of seeing this one yet? :laugh2:

9. Rikochet

Rikochet Senior Member

lets see the other Norlins again! :laugh2:

10. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

A 3 piece neck 1 piece body Deluxe? Bring it!!

[​IMG]

11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Spotlight Special was reissued, it is a Norlin.

12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

There is more to Norlin than what they were notorious for, pancake bodies, super heavy, volutes and maple necks. The late Norlins were quite impressive. Especially the early 80s Kalamazoo limited runs of reissue style Les Pauls.

13. Boleskinehouse

Here's the beaten and ugly '81 Custom. One hell of a great guitar.

[​IMG]

Whoever sold it undoubtedly misses it. Keep getting rid of the nasty things. I don't mind. :D

14. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Dude...I want one of those!!! I'm probably have to buy a guitar and have it done...

15. Boleskinehouse

It needs a pickguard. I'm either going to have to cut one to fit or get a custom job. I've sort of test fitted one and it looked a lot better.

16. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

I think the spotlight special alluded to earlier is this guitar - a 70s reissue and aged; not a fretless wonder though. Still, it has a volute & only came in white; but it has a 1 piece mahogany neck; mahogany was transitioned out in 75 but all 70s necks were 3 piece. Back of the head is black; does have the 70s logo with the closed lettering & no dot above the i, made to look like a refret; appears to be an attempt at a 75 model (the bridge & mahogany neck & knobs are consistent with 75); does not appear to have Made in USA on back of the head; I would be SHOCKED if it had the comfy smooth medium neck profile of a 75 Norlin - probably has a newer baseball bat neck; they would have been better off putting the 1975 flat wide frets on it (not fretless wonders) instead of those jumbo tall lincoln logs, and they should have offered more colors.....not a very good copy IMO. if this is not a spotlight special, then it is a different 70s reissue. I know they also did a Rhoads guitar that looked similar.

Gibson 70's Les Paul Custom Aged White limited new - eBay (item 150354485092 end time Jul-01-09 18:58:26 PDT)

17. JMV

JMV Senior Member

I'd love to see a Custom Shop Deluxe reissue. I was bummed when they discontinued the USA model. It'd be great! With the option of mini hums or p90s if you have 30 minutes and a soldering iron. ;)

There are plenty of humbucker models as of now, IMO. There's a serious lack of mini buckers/p90s.

18. siggy14

siggy14 Senior Member

They already have one, it is called the john sykes model, and if it is anything like the original i am on the look out for another.......

19. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

They already have the one with P90s; it is a 1956 reissue Les Paul Standard.

20. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

i want it
    :d