Cure for GAS?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by northernguitarguy, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

R, it is not bad. I'm used to HEAVY amps-I owned a VT22+ Fender Twins+ Full Stacks. I carry it in one hand, my Strat in the other and I wear my bag carrying my pedal+cords+strap+9 volts over my head- I look ready for business. I guess it weighs 40lbs? Here is the other Stinger. I like that the S is broke off.
    upload_2018-3-7_20-50-58.png

northernguitarguy and Roxy13 like this.
  2. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

If it is only 40lb then it is lighter than my DSL, which I want to say is around 51lb. My Avatar 212 is 75lb or so, and I manage both when I need to move them. I have the DSL on top of the Avatar and every day I have to remove the cover I have over the front of the cab. I use the feet of the DSL to keep it in place. I have 2 young cats and I don't want them using it for a scratching post. I am terrible at sewing but I would like to make a cover similar to the Tuki one I have for the DSL, but without a top on it so the DSL can just stay in place. Then I could lift the cover off the cab. The cover is worth it to keep the cats honest.

3. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I've been letting my GAS get the better of me this year with the Peavey Classic 20 mini head ($399 CAD) and a used H&K 12" cab, the Orange Micro Terror (used) and some used pedals. Oh, wait. Two new mics and a small Mackie mixer.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  4. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

5. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

So....a PRS neck on a Strat body? Ok. John can make any guitar sound pretty good.

LeftyF2003 and northernguitarguy like this.
  6. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

WTF did Fender do to chase the guy away?

I am sure that is a nice guitar, but it looks like a cheap POS strat knock off with a strange headstock to avoid lawsuits.

7. SixAngryStrings

SixAngryStrings Señor Member Premium Member

That’s what I was wondering as well.. he could have probably ANYTHING from the Fender custom shop, and he endorses that monstrosity??

Shoulda stuck with Fender and Aniston for the WIN!

8. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

1. Stay off this forum/TGP/Reverb/YouTube/The Internet
    2. Do not drive within a 10 mile radius of any guitar shops, music stores or venues.
    3. Completely excommunicate myself from bandmates, fellow players and anyone else who likes music.
    4. Listen strictly to NPR in my car, unless an interview with a musician comes on.

I believe that is the only way, and I may still end up buying a pedal.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    northernguitarguy likes this.
  9. realjimjim

realjimjim Senior Member

You are weak

You need a man of steel to help you become famous

Philly breeds only the weak

Irish are strong warriors

Are you still able to cook up strong lunches of beef or have you've gotten too weak for that?

How strong is your music or has that gotten slim, tired, thin and weak?

Talk back to me thin boy!

10. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I've come to the place where I don't. I have bought a sold a few "I" Thought I would like. Now I have kept what I have and like them. I don't get the guys that have multiples of the same guitars. I hear them say "but they all sound different". Really? It's the same guitar just a different color.

11. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

I'm a firm believer that you should save up as much money as possible to get something that is not easily upgraded, I think that's the cure to GAS. If you buy a $500 guitar then you go up to a $1,000 guitar then a $2,000 guitar, I think you're better off saving yourself $1,500 and just buy the $2,000 guitar straight up.

With that said, cheap GAS is the best value. I bought a $100 ukulele, I've probably logged nearly 50 hours on it in the past 2 weeks. What's $100? I can spend that on a steak dinner and a night at the movies.. I wasn't sure if ukulele was something that would catch on, but now I think I'm going to take my advice up above and save up for something extraordinary.

12. realjimjim

realjimjim Senior Member

GTF outta here you ain't never gonna buy a steak dinner!
    I know what you eat cheap skate . . . I had to eat some of your slop and I've seen your junk guitars. Jim Neighbors wouldn't play the junk you got!

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  13. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I ran across this vid again on YT. Ya I could go for a Epi Century. I forgot all about that.

Roxy13 likes this.
  14. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Senior Member

I hate to say it, but in another color I think I'd like that guitar...

15. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Senior Member

I really want one of these - '68 Silver Face Deluxe Reverb

[​IMG]

16. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

17. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

I used to have one guitar . now I have 13 to choose from / 3 amps / an effects unit and various pedals . STUFF takes up a lot of room , not to mention time to maintain it . I do like guitars __ but I'm not a rock star . never want to be

I can't even narrow down my favorites . I haven't chosen a number one . it has to stop somewhere . I just want to play

18. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

The only known cures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No fun indeed.

Sooooo!

I have a studio copper top on the way... :D
    Belonged to a friend, we live 800km away from each other now, but finally, he is selling it to me... 10 years in the waiting.

COPPY.jpg

19. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

bought a gibby tribute goldtop last spring...no gas since.although i am lusting for a 10 day cruise next spring.

20. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Senior Member

Not to disagree, but I've played a bunch of PRS guitars and their build quality and playability are stellar. The only fault I have with the old ones is the electronics are a bit crap (speaking of 80s into early 90s), but the guitars are stellar. And I really wanted to hate it 'cause I don't want to pay that kind of money for a fixer up-er...

As to John, they've built some amazing guitars for him (not this one), and he's got their amps on the tours now and they sound great. He's also got a good relationship with Paul so he's getting rightly deserved rock star treatment.

I was forced to use one of their amps on my 2nd opportunity to play with Robben Ford, and again I have to say it sounded great. Very touch sensitive, and I was able to get a descent solo sound just using the volume on the guitar. I'm usually a pedal guy so this was new ground for me, but it's what I had to work with. Don't mind the rhythm mistakes as I was fairly star struck playing with Robben...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Gahr and SixAngryStrings like this.