CTS 500K pots the Long & Short Explained with Pics

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jonesy, Dec 19, 2012.

1. akoaysidok

akoaysidok Junior Member

Thank you for the informative reply. Will prolly stay away from 1MEGs and just use 500k.

Also, I did a quick search in Ebay for a wiring harness upgrade for my LP. I saw a LOT of different things from CTS to Bourns to Bumblebee caps and other things. I didn't know what to get..haha. I might have to do more research to know for sure what I want for the kind of tone that I want.

Thanks again!

2. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

You're welcome. There are a lot of wiring option upgrades out there nowadays. Unfortunately as an MLP Vendor I can't discuss any of the products that I offer outside the Vendor section. Good luck on your project.

Jonesy

3. KillersSince'81

KillersSince'81 Junior Member

I have a 2002 Korean Epiphone Les Paul Custom, want to upgrade to 50's wiring but not sure what size (long or short) CTS pots. please advise.

4. jonesy

Most all imports LPs come with the short shaft pots and short toggle switch so that would be what you could use. Short pots are also for 335, SG, LP Jr and other thin body guitars with no cap.

But you can use the the long shaft pots in your Korean LP. They come double nutted so you can adjust how far the threads stick through the top. Long pots will wok in any LP style guitar with carved cap.

Hope that helps...

Jonesy

5. DylanSwitzer

DylanSwitzer Junior Member

Hey Jonesy, I'm gonna be buying one of your 50's wiring kits but I'm just unsure if I should get short or long pots... like everyone seems to be lol. Its for a 2016 Gibson made 50's tribute LP. So ill have humbuckers in it. I'm guessing long to play it safe?

jonesy likes this.
  6. jonesy

Sorry bro just saw this post. The Tribute LPs take the long shaft pots and short toggle switches like the Studio LP's.

DylanSwitzer likes this.
  7. DylanSwitzer

DylanSwitzer Junior Member

No problem man. Excited to get your kit!

jonesy likes this.
  8. Grenville

Grenville Senior Member

I installed a 1meg pot in my LP (nice 1980 Tokai) for the neck pickup to try and get more clarity. It works.

Just a normal pickup, not hot or anything, but I've just wanted it a bit clearer.

The only downside is an apparent susceptibility to high-end interference that the bridge pickup doesn't have. It's faint, but there, much less noise than you'd get with single coil pickups anyway.