CT inspired bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by beuford23, May 1, 2016.

1. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

So, here's the maple they removed today
    [​IMG]

The slice we took out of the crotch of the tree. It's about 3 inches thick
    [​IMG]

This guy we picked up last Thursday. It's fir that I'll be turning into a garden bench for my wife
    [​IMG]

My little planing jig for taking short stock down. This one is for a 7mm finish. The stanley shoots along like a charm and in no time that ebony blank is perfect. I then sandwiched it with some hard maple and EIR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to show the guys cutting the tree some wood chips unlike any they'd seen
    [​IMG]

How it should look....needs more work....
    [​IMG]

Rough up of next bass project.....
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

picked up the heaviest "bench top" jointer I've ever seen. The entire thing is cast iron! Anyways, the young fella wasn't sure what to do with it as the power belt had deteriorated and broke and he was quoted mid-July for a replacement. He was quoted $45 for the replacement.
    I got it, plus a brand new set of knives (the knives on it are already razor sharp) and have ordered the belt off amazon.
    My cost....$80. I think I did okay. I have a jointing jig that I made for my table saw but the set up etc takes up too much time.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Nice score! Looks like the one I got, heavy as hell.

4. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

Uh, so I've been away for a while now. Military life will do that to you. I've recently made a bit of progress on this build as most of my free time has been spent on building us a new deck. Anyways, what the hell happened with Photobucket? I can't see my images any more yet I can see images on other threads. What's everyone using now for 3rd party hosting or is it easier to just upload images from my hard drive?

geoffstgermaine likes this.
  5. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

I just use this sites upload feature, hopefully they don't change the software too much

6. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

Yeah, Photobucket pretty much ended 3rd party hosting unless you pay a lot of money.

I hear you on the military life bit... I'm about to take a couple of pretty big breaks... 2 and 7 months.

beuford23 likes this.
  7. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

I grew up in Victoria so I'm guessing you're sailing. Stay safe.
    Yeah PB basically screwed me on any thread I've ever created. I'll see about going back and changing the photos on this one as the build is only a couple pages. My Les Paul thread however, at more than 10 is another story

8. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

Yeah I too have been screwed by photobucket & have just about given up on trying to host pictures..
    I really loved the looks of your CT inspired bass from what I remember it looking like..
    Spend time in the woodshop, not at your PC trying to host pics & then copy/paste them in threads.

9. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

Let's see if this works before I start posting a tonne of images only to have them"not work"
    Work is keeping me very, very busy as is another build project I just completed; a 600sq/ft deck.
    Finally, the last of parts arrived so I fabricated a pickup cover with some of the leftover pieces I have. I built the surround out of some Ziricote I picked while on a day trip to Toronto.
    Tomorrow, I'll go to Kingston to pick up some flat wounds, finish wiring up the pots, cut and set the nut and we should be in business sometime this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    And this one as a reminder to those who saw it before
    [​IMG]
    I think I just realized that Image Shack is a subscription too...