CT inspired bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by beuford23, May 1, 2016.

1. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

No Way I'd Cover This Up.. WISE Choice!
    Looks too good..
    [​IMG]
    I watched a few dozen CT Videos last night on youtube
    Would love to ride there & meet him :fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  2. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

I had some scrap pieces of white birch that were leftovers from a couple cam clamps I had made. I really liked how it milled and so I decided to use it sparingly in this build. I used it on the headstock veneer in the thin strips and then as the last two outer pieces. What I found while sanding it outside is that it is slightly translucent. Very cool while looking at it outside that the corners "glowed" in the sunlight.

Brooklyn's only about a days drive for me. My wife also has a friend she'd like to visit in Pomona. Maybe some day we'll get a chance to do that

1 person likes this.
  3. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

Updates!

Channel for bridge ground wire started
    [​IMG]

close to done
    [​IMG]

Skip a few bandsaw steps to this stage. Not sure how to photograph while cutting with power tools. Not sure if I want to figure that one out. I like my fingers

[​IMG]

Piecing the last piece of burl around the cavity. i decided to go this route because again, I hate routing and routers and so I decided I'd give my Japanese razor saw a try at a very thin kerf and a damn near invisible joint line

[​IMG]

Mock set-up. The build is going to slow a bit over the next few weeks as I need to start ordering some parts and the parents are flying in next week to visit.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

Same piece of burl used for control cavity plate. Right now it's a perfect friction fit and probably doesn't need much to keep it in place. I'll be picking up a couple small magnets to install and keep it closed for good measure.

[​IMG]

I ran a piece of heat shrink tube through the ground wire cavity with the ground wire already inside of it. Glued it all up and lined it up with a pre-drilled hole in the body. Layed it into my wedge clamping jig and set it up for a few hours.

[​IMG]

Never really shot pics of the back so here it is out of the clamps - mock set-up

[​IMG]

Our gifted, musical 15 year old

[​IMG]

On a completely different note but still related to a build here's something I'm looking at doing when I get back from my professional development "course" that I leave to in July and return December 15th (yeah, 6 months.....)
    There's a fantastic foundation that I look to try and help raise money for.

V-42 FOUNDATION

My idea/plan is in its infancy stage right now but I'm looking to build a tribute bass with/through/for the V42 foundation. The end mission is to have it raffled away and all proceeds go to the V42. I'll be looking at getting The Chive on board with this as they can get the word out and frankly, the more raised for charity, the better. Anyways, if anyone wants to check out their site please do so. This is in no way any solicitation for anything from anyone. I just wanted to share something very near and dear to me.

B

3 people like this.
  5. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

I am the creative drive but this here is the horsepower

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sx0Y-fHa60[/ame]

Our end results this morning

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Truss rod should arrive next week. I'm dropping off a friend at the airprt on Friday and so I'll be sliding over to Exotic Woods to pick up the fingerboard. I spoke with them today and while I initially wanted to go with a Ziricote fb it looks like I'll have to buy a stock piece of Z and mill it up....too much $$ right now to buy a large enough piece to do that. We'll see. I'll be checking out all their other woods there and see what I come up/home with.

Any suggestions from anyone here what they'd like to see as a fb?

Bridge should be ordered today and I'm looking at a local artisan that hand winds pups. All for now.

8 people like this.
  6. kissTheApex

kissTheApex Senior Member

Thanks to the link in the workbench thread, I'm catching up to this! Very interesting build process..

1 person likes this.
  7. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Senior Member

As a kid who grew up listening to Primus this thread makes me so happy. That thing is gorgeous and the workmanship is class.

Please tell me your son will play DMV or John the Fisherman on it :D

2 people like this.
  8. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

Thank you. I try to set my goals and standards high. When I feel that I surpass my own expectation, I can only grin from ear to ear.

Tyler taught himself this version of WBBB

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0fyYBXVaCU[/ame]

2 people like this.
  9. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Resonator bass, that's cool. Looks like they'll be available next month.

BTW, your build is looking great.

1 person likes this.
  10. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

Thank you,
    Trussrod came in the mail today and my parents arrived from across the country today too. It might be a week or so before I post any updates

11. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

I was in Toronto on Friday and managed to finally head over to Exotic woods. I'm glad I didn't have a fat stack of cash, they have an unbelievable selection of wood and a completely separate area of tone woods etc. Unfortunately, due to my need for a 29 inch fingerboard there was very little available. I would have had to buy some 1 inch stock of ziricote in about a 6 foot length - even though I was jonsing to buy it, it was just too rich for my blood. So I had to find another solution. After spending considerable time looking around I came across a very nice piece of quarter sawn EI rosewood. It came in at 7/16ths and rang like a bell when given the "tap"

So, some steps were skipped (again, I suck at documenting processes) but the trussrod channel was cut, FB tapered and radiused and glued up. Then the process began of carving the neck and heel.

[​IMG]

A little more refined

[​IMG]

Looks better in natural light

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of sanding to work on. I'll be working on some small abalone dots to inlay along the edge of the FB and I'm still looking at some fun ways to make the TR cover. Anyways, I had fun working on it today with beer and tequila in my hand as we celebrated my birthday by letting me work away on this and not the house or yard

8 people like this.
  12. kissTheApex

kissTheApex Senior Member

Many happy and healthy returns of the day!

1 person likes this.
  13. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Happy birthday!

1 person likes this.
  14. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

Hope your B-Day went well..
    The CT bass is sure looking good..

1 person likes this.
  15. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

A few minor updates

In lieu of Carl Thompson's signature headplate (kinda like using Gibson's on a non Gibson) I am using my signature, albeit a stylized one

[​IMG]

Holes drilled for 1/8 inch magnets

[​IMG]

Truss rod cover laminate of EIR and ebony glued up

[​IMG]

Polished up a bit to check out the flame

[​IMG]

Truss rod cover finished and installed

[​IMG]

Not much but its something. Just waiting on more parts now....

7 people like this.
  16. KnightroExpress

Every time I get into this thread I want to get back into my CT tribute project.... inspiring and simply beautiful work.

17. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

I say, what are you waiting for?

18. KnightroExpress

Work and school, mostly :rolleyes:

I've got a few builds lined up that need to happen before I spend time on a fun personal project. I'm happy to watch yours and dream for now :D

1 person likes this.
  19. RyanThompsonGuitarist

RyanThompsonGuitarist Senior Member

That things looks amazing so far! I love the shape. Reminds me of my Dad's mandolin

1 person likes this.
  20. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

It's hot as balls in Ontario today. Our spring was long and cool. Someone turned the heater on a couple days ago. Humidex was up at 35 today (95 for my friends to the south) and so Ive been dripping all day.
    We had an arborist here today that cut down a fat crimson maple from our backyard. I'll post some pics later but I had him saw a piece out of the crotch of the tree for me. It'll be a long time before its dry and stable enough to do anything but I at least wanted to give it a try.