CS-336 Single Cut, Scratch Build.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by johnP-90, Dec 10, 2016.

1. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Thanks "Bend n Slide", she is playing mighty nice now, "valvetoneman" dropped by last week an beat me up a little over the nut n niggly intonation issues. (He uses nylon nuts btw, tricky to work but when right slip for heaven..)..
    Anyway, he is right, I dropped all the nut slots down to about .003" or a hair over the 1st fret when rested on the 3rd if that makes sense. Or a cigerette paper, makes a hell of differense though and dont go sharp when barring in the lower position etc. Lovely now after some lips salve in the slots n good to go.:thumb:

What Valvetoneman doesnt know, yet, is he may be inlisted in a rough n ready sound clip now she is set up nice. His P-90 Jnr "special" stole the show last week for monster Tone, now its this girls turn, only I dont have a Smart Phone ah hem.

I dont care that I am no Peter Green, builders have different skill sets to top notch players ( who can bearly fix anything with out breaking it) :fingersx: as diffent skill sets n "Artists". Just my 10c for rubbish playing, improved by several beers, n a nice guitar, man...:thumb:

Cheers, John

valvetoneman likes this.
  2. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Playing mighty nice now, and in the "sweet spot". After filing down the slots with my old "Norman" radiused saw files which are not too agressive and made a hell of a difference. I radiused the exit to the tuners to a bell shape with larger files at the back of the slot for a smooth transition to the tuners, vintage Klusons, n works mighty nice n very tuning stable with no sharpening when chorded, nice, Jazzclub... Nice :slash: Plays the book man now sorted..

Cheers John

cain61 likes this.
  3. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

I dont know how I talked myself into a sound clip the other night, but seemed a good idea. I have been prattling about playing her in nicely, and just sounds killer on the bridge p/u and kind of addictive!

Cheers, John

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Paf Tone....Hmmm. I thought I had the new SC 336 in the "sweet spot" having sorted out minor nut issues etc. I did an identical setup on both the SC and DC version today, both have "Mojo Uk" vintage wound paf's but finding the alnico 4 set a bit harsh and overpowering compared to the DC336 with alnico 3 set. I have set them lower than book and sound better at about 5/64" on top E and 8/64" (1/4") at the low E as too much mids and bass n not enough woody tone going on. Hmmm.

I hate to say it but the DC 336 is in the sweet zone but the bad boy SC version needs warmer alnico 3 set to smooth out the overpowering mids and bottom end on neck and mixed postion as a bit harsh and overpowering.

I think it will be worth swapping sets and just put the A3 set in the single cut.

Cheers, John

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  5. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

I have found the "sweet spot" ah hem, at last..Apologies for my 10c last night but a striking difference between the 2 guitars, and the long tenon versus short makes a difference too!

The short tenon cs-336 is suprisingly toneful and resonant despite being thinner and is spot on tone wise in a 335 kind of way. The SC version being Limba and with a 1/4" thicker body depth n long tenon is a bit "overkill" it turn out and despite similar pickups (alnico 4 and 3's) was over powering on the amp in a harsh way.

I have lowered the pickups even more today,by ear with both set on 10 until the harshness goes and the sweet tone arrives.....:slash: About there now and lowering them a tad more has made a big difference n dont need to swap em over now.:thumb: Crikey, it aint half different n nice now, jazzclub nice.:cool2: The dc-336 is also very sweet and be a shame to change anything as lovely, and has a slightly thinner shallow V neck and 1Lb lighter in weight! (Gettin old)

Cheers, John

Compulsory picture....
    [​IMG]

They sound nearly as good as my Lester now!