CS-336 Single Cut, Scratch Build.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by johnP-90, Dec 10, 2016.

1. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

I have been havin dark thoughts about an s/c version of the 336, mainly because its great guitar in d/c format and "short tenon" and can only be improved upon with a long tenon s/c version. (I happen to have a few LP neck blanks that need a home as well) :D Having messed around with all kinds of cutaways I think leave the 336 as it is, but blend the top bout into the 16th fret and keep the symmetry, if that makes sense.

Heres a rough shot of what I have in mind with all kinds of possiblities.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I plan on building the body a bit deeper and uncarved bottom with LP control plate access and long tenon n call it a 337.....:D Just a thought and name her after my grandaughter, "Isla". Build pending but any feedback welcome before starting the build, as the 336 is dead hard to improve on, but should have a bit more wallop.

Cheers, John

2. Mayuiers

Mayuiers V.I.P. Member

I love it when people think outside of the box. Your idea is unique and interesting. It might actually look pretty damned good after all is said and done. :applause:

I say go for it !!! And if you do, please create a thread so that we can follow. I'd love to see the build process on this one and hear the final results.

kevinpaul likes this.
  3. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Ok John, I'm guessing the noise you'll now be making over xmas is your neighbors xmas present. :thumb:

4. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Sounds like a great idea - subscribed!

5. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

Count me in, man.

6. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Thanks guys, "Mayuiers" fer the kind feedback, "Open Book" the neighbors are getting used to it after 6 weeks of neck radius jig building!:thumb: And "Tolm" for subscribing to the post.

The build is now "On" and thanks folks. It is kind of quirky, so much so that it nearly didn't get built after messing around with all types of horn arrangment, including LP type cutaway. None of em looked right until I saw this.

[​IMG]

The single cut is an ES-275 compared to which the 336 cutaway is similar in effect, so why change it? She looks beautiful the 275 even with a "cauliflower" ear ah hem... Anyway I cut the master template for the S/C 336 today to check out the lines. All the critical dimensions are taken from a Tom Bartlett LP plan btw.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Excuse the poor light in my shop but gives the general idea. I have a nice lightweight neck blank cut for LP in Korina/Limba and a matching body set that are good to go for this build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The body blanks are 2"+ thickness and I will cut a flame maple 1/2" top plate to carve, now for some revised "carve templates" over the next few days, for the upper single cut bout. They will be based on the 336 carve but lines changed for the 16th fret neck to body join, if that makes sense.....

I think the long tenon a 16th fret join, rather than 19th on the D/C will make a significant difference in Tone, not by much but in a good way or I wouldn't be chasin':D More in a few days when I start on the wood working and templates done.

Cheers, John

Thumpalumpacus and kevinpaul like this.
  7. valvetoneman

valvetoneman Senior Member

That's going to be interesting John, still can't wait to play your dc

8. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Thanks man, I had to find a good home for the lovely Limba we traded, kind of yer to share the good stuff.:thumb: The only thing that keeps up with the dc336 so far is me old BKP LP build on that little Plexi amp, so going to be hard to improve on.....

Kind regards, John

9. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Before finaly cutting the wood I have been trying to compare this s/c version with an existing guitar, as just have this mapped in my head so far, and found this:

[​IMG]

Ahh, I am getting nostalgic already! Gibson "Tennessean" btw and if that aint a 336 ear......:thumb: Looks like the cutaway comes down abeam with the 20th fret, just like the 336. I was a bit worried I was building the "Ugly Sister" for a moment.:shock: This thing looks lovely! (Very "Gretch" and designed with Chet Atkins btw, nothing wrong with that and on the same page methinks Tone wise so crack on).

Another reason for not changing the ear is my best attempt looked rubbish and I would also have to make another routing template. I can use this dc one and it will leave a bit more mass around the neck tenon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres the Limba/korina at 2 1/4" thickness for a chambered 2 piece body and a nice 1 3/8" board of curly to be going on with.
    [​IMG]

More soon when I get the body done.

Cheers, John

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

Woohoo! Great idea, John!
    It would look so great with a solid color top.

11. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Thanks for the "like" man, it confirms the general build idea as figured it had not been done before, then found the Chet Atkins inspired "Tennessean" single cut. As usual I will go my own way with this and not be a clone as be hand carved from one piece of wood, rather than ply or laminate construction but built like an LP

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks, John

12. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

:) Hehe, I happen to love this body shape, actually I have a recurring dream of owning a solid color all-sky blue (or Cadillac's Consort Blue) single cut semi-hollow, and the body shape is a lot like your design (which of course is similar to Gibson's take on Gretsch guitars), so I'm subscribing to see how it turns out.

Limba will probably look great for the body.

Wish you a trouble free build!

13. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Its obviously too late for me to say this, but had I responded when I thought about it,
    I would've said this;

Hey, John, Google "Gibson Tennessean". As it is, I'm just typing now so that atrophy doesn't
    set into my fingers. Carry on.

14. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Nice one "emoney" think were one the same page here and has fired me up for the s/c version, but carved not laminates. Thanks also "Satellitedog", I fancied a Goldtop version meself but seems criminal to paint good wood, thought the solid colours do look lovely and 60's retro. I have a Jazz/Tele in Inca Silver (met green) but she had a hard maple cap with no figure.

Anyway I haven't got round to cutting wood yet as building another neck radius jig for a friend that should be finished tomorrow, (the 3rd sodding one) so more soon. :thumb: I am hoping to get a nice Amazon rosewood fingerboard out of this for this build, for my efforts! :D

Thanks, John

15. valvetoneman

What about transparent cherry red so you see all the grain

16. bhmcintosh

bhmcintosh Les Pauls, Telcasters, and 12strings Premium Member

Looks something like my Jay Turser semi-hollow, though your horn is a bit beefier...

[​IMG]

kevinpaul likes this.
  17. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

18. valvetoneman

Next week Wednesday man, don't need to cut boards if I can take away, well maybe a couple so you can show me

I'm coming armed for a bit of neighbor annoying

19. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

Yer on!:D Tah John

PS This jigs the best out of 3 but needed the other 2 as a reference to get the deed done n true square etc. The Lp "Special" build in limba yer doing is the nuts btw!:cool:

20. valvetoneman

Thanks, I'm just not diggin the tele and strat which ill deal with later