Crews Maniac Sound Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by wulfman, Dec 14, 2013.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

That last guitar, how does it compare to a Bacchus Duke guitar? That crews guitar is stunning!!

2. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

While I haven't played a Bacchus standard, I've looked at the specs available online. If you're referring to the Duke Standard (https://www.deviser-bacchus.com/products/handmade-series-guitar/duke-standard/), you're looking at typical Gibson Les Paul specs. I wouldn't really call it a 'copy' so much as I would call it 'inspired by'. I don't know what the Bacchus BHR-1 pickups sound like - but the ones in the Crews have been replaced with Vintage Maniacs ().

You've also got inaccurate finishing, but that's all to taste. Some are lacquer, some are oil finishes, so watch out for that when buying (I also saw that it refers to it as 'top lacquer', which would imply thin nitro top coat sprayed over poly base). Without holding one in my hands and having an original burst to compare it to, I couldn't tell you all the inaccuracies - but the obviously striking ones are the headstock and block inlays. I'm sure the Bacchus is a great guitar as from what I can tell, it's also made by the Deviser factory. What I would do in your situation, is compare sound clips online of the Duke Standard and it's BHR-1 pickups, as well as Crews Guitars and the Vintage Maniac Hysteric PAFs.

Advantages of the Crews include old Honduran mahogany (some mixed with African/ Honduran mahogany necks and backs) which if you believe what the tonewood nutters say, makes a difference :rofl: - may make for a slightly lighter guitar though. The Crews also has a flame maple cap (not a veneer) and many more accurate historic features, but as I said, this is to taste; I'm sure most of us would play a beaten to shit Squier/ First Act if it sounded and played like the Beano guitar.

Regardless of whether you pick the bacchus or a crews, you're in for a well made instrument. My personal preference is towards the Crews but it's all to taste. I don't think that flamey Crews is going to last too long on the marketplace, though. Buy it so I stop thinking about it!

EDIT: after looking at the ad, the Crews also comes with the original pickups, so if you decide you prefer those over the Hysteric PAFs, you can swap them in easy.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    scott 351 wins likes this.
  3. scott 351 wins

man those vintage maniacs sound damn good!!!

bluesriffdev likes this.
  4. scott 351 wins

Well I inquired about the crews, they said they cannot ship it outside of Japan due to the CITES regulations. Sounds like they don't want to deal with the paper work to me.

5. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

That's unfortunate. This is a roadblock you'll hit when buying guitars with rosewood now, as most Japanese retailers there are quite cautious of the CITES regulations. Hirano Gakki Rockin shipped me my Edwards without bothering about CITES, mentioning that they've not yet run into any issues with shipping guitars with rosewood boards - and sure enough, my guitar came here quickly with no hassles from customs.

You could always try buying guitars with Ebony boards (such as Les Paul Customs), or do what I did and keep enquiring to a bunch of different retailers. I sent enquiries to about 5 different retailers before I found one that would ship to me without bothering with CITES. You can rule Ishibashi out, and I guess we now know Ikebe Gakki won't either.

EDIT: Just looking at some of the listings on digimart in your price range that aren't from Ikebe-Gakki, I found:
    https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop1140/DS04135486/
    https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop87/DS04100836/
    https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop5030/DS04055924/ - this one is another flametop that's a bit pricier but it has a unique finish.
    https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop169/DS04115028/ - an LS02 made by Terada (as opposed to the other 3 made by Deviser) which repotedly has a chunkier 58 style neck (as opposed to the '59 on the LS01). Not certain but I think this retailer doesn't ship RW guitars - not 100% sure.

6. scott 351 wins

There's a Momose LP on Ebay right now that's a beauty, out of my price atm.

7. free713

free713 Senior Member

8. free713

free713 Senior Member

...and let me know if you have questions about the actual model. I own one so I know about the specs, matetials etc. Dont leave it to speculation..

9. scott 351 wins

Ok I signed up to Rinkya. Ok as far as quality of the Crews Maniac Sound KTR-LS 01 FM how does it compare to a Bachuss Duke? I've been considering buying a Duke guitar. Also how does it compare to a Gibson Les Paul Standard (I used to own an 08 Standard) Overall quality of this particular model of Crews guitar is?

10. free713

free713 Senior Member

I would say that the LS01 in some respects is superior to Gibson les paul standard. Huge neck, top notch craftmanship and materials. But no nibs :) Havent tried that many Gibson lp but Ive heard that the QC isnt that good. Deviser on the other hand...oh man...it's just always excellent. Havent tried the duke but I think a duke might be made with a little better materials but will still be close to the crews. The duke will have oil finish and a wierd headstock though....and the pickups on the crews will probably be better at least the one with upgraded pups.

GammyBird likes this.
  11. scott 351 wins

12. free713

free713 Senior Member

Momose is better all round...the Crews ls01 is a Momose light. If you've got the funds and like the top then go for it! Like new condition and very light weight. And the price is very good.

13. free713

free713 Senior Member

Ls01 is almost like Gibson customshop....Momose is beyond!

mdubya and scott 351 wins like this.
  14. scott 351 wins

I'll save my money for a Momose then.

15. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Momose.....

16. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Crews, Duke, Momose,,,,you are all over the map man. I suggest you try and play one or a couple of these first.

Udonitron likes this.
  17. scott 351 wins

Lol I know. I'll never see any of these guitars where I live. i can't just bee bop down to Guitar Center and play any of these.

18. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Neither can most of us...that's why we buy them all lol