Crews Maniac Sound Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by wulfman, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DanVonP

DanVonP Junior Member

That looks great indeed! I'm still quite confused about the practical differences between a 100k and a 300k model... I guess that means I'm more a player than a collector hehe

Are you in Tokyo btw? Wouldn't mind to have a buddy around here with loads of nice Lesters :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  2. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Here are 4 more they are currently advertising... the top and price was similar to the first one... the one I played was at their shop in Osaka (which mainly sells violins). I didn't really care enough about it to look at the model number or specs. I was there looking for a Fullertone... :dude:

Thanks... and I think the practical differences are purely subjective.

And no... I'm over near Osaka, which doesn't have something like Ochanomizu, but we have a lot of the same shops. :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  3. Rodmac

Rodmac Senior Member

Japan as with China, the perception is if it's Expensive it is the best. Here in Beijing there are many stores selling very high end goods. $5000 for a Shirt anyone ? $10,000 for a pair of pants. $210,000 for a totally hand crafted Brand of Mobile Phone.
    Common place.

A Master I know who carves personal seals, 20 unbroken Generations of his family. Has a small private workshop in Beijing. His carvings in Jade and other stone sell for Millions of $$$$$$ each. He built a school for poor children in his home city $40m from sales of a few of his carvings.

1 person likes this.
  4. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Indeed... image is everything... :slash:

5. lester square

lester square Senior Member

You always need two people, the one who does not have any scruples selling stuff at ridiculous prices, and then the fool who actually buys it because he needs it to, e.g. fondle his ego ...

6. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Giving part of his fortune for the unfortunate; he deserve a round of applause. :)

3 people like this.
  7. lester square

Strange to see Japanese shops often put up two versions of the same guitar, one with the former price tag, then again the same guitar with the sales price tag ... are they hoping for someone to still find and pay the higher price? Did you come across the blue one in person? This looks gorgeous, that's PRS terrority regarding looks.

8. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Kurosawa is a pretty big chain, so it is likely that the online shop doesn't sync with the individual shops... I'm pretty sure they will honor the lower price though and if buyers don't do their due diligence it serves them right to pay more... I don't see it happening often... just once in a while... no big deal.

No, I've never seen the blue one in person and probably wouldn't have given it much attention if I did... PRS super flames are not natural and don't really appeal to me.

9. lester square

They are no less natural than the super flame on your Crews:)

10. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Love to get a Crews with a top like this... :naughty:

[​IMG]

But I was referring to the ones with blue and red grains... its just not natural, and they don't appeal to me...

[​IMG]

11. lester square

I agree that if the colour is anything other than the old familiar bursts it may look strange; it does fit to the modern look of the PRS guitars, though. This Momose MLS1 Premium model (PM) also came in a chocolatey brown burst, a lot nicer and more familiar than the blue one, plus one in the old CS for the traditionalists. I guess the add. charge of plus 100,000 Y is because of the premium flame top and different pus (no Beanos). -
    It is always interesting how much we are still influenced in our opinions and tastes by the things (here: sounds, looks, colours) of the guitars that made rock what it still is today already in the 60s and 70s. If they had looked like an octagon or rhomb and used neon colours we would all probably sneer at a Les Paul shape today and be discusssing the best rhomb shaped clone in flashy green and blue hues instead:)

1 person likes this.
  12. vegetto_456

vegetto_456 Senior Member

I ended up reading about the crews guitars and I have a few questions :)

So the Line Up looks to be KTR vs "Regular"

Keys to the Rock MUSICLAND KEY KTR (Key to the Rock) PROJECT

Pickup LP Series (Crews Maniac Sound / K&T)
    - KTR 1959 "The Truth" with IMD LIMITED (ZB/BB) ~KEY 50th Anniversary Model~
    - KTR 1960 "The Beano" with IMD LIMITED (WW/BB) ~KEY 50th Anniversary Model~
    - KTR NEXT 5D with NFS WEEP (ZB/WW) ~KEY 50th Anniversary Model~
    - KTR Beast with NFS Gold Beauty
    - KTR fm59R with NFS WEEP (ZB/WW)
    - KTR STD with NFS WEEP (BB/ZB)

Performance Series (Crews Maniac Sound)
    - KTR LS-01
    - KTR LS-01FM
    - KTR LC-01

"Regular"
    OSL-FM/LOSL-FM/L – CrewsManiacSound
    OSL-JB/L (BAR TAIL TAILPIECE) OSL-JB/L (BAR TAIL TAILPIECE) – CrewsManiacSound
    OSL/C-L (ALL MAHOGANY BODY) OSL/C-L (ALL MAHOGANY BODY) – CrewsManiacSound
    OSL-Light ( OSL/L ) OSL-Light ( OSL/L ) – CrewsManiacSound
    OSL-Hybrid OSL-Hybrid – CrewsManiacSound
    Collector's Select-OSL Collector’s Select-OSL – CrewsManiacSound

So my questions are:

- Are the Key to the Rock guitars considered superior to the regular crews guitars?

- And secondly, with regards to the KTR guitars, are there any significant differences between the Pickup LP series vs the Performance series besides the pickups? Build quality?

Thanks so much in advance!

13. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

Thanks for doing this preliminary research and I look forward to the answers

One of the reasons I didn't pull the trigger on the one advertised here (setting aside I don't buy new guitars unless well below market - or else it's tossing $$$ away, save for special speculative stuff and the relative newness and paucity of data made it hard to determine where the market was - not enough data points at a minimum) is the somewhat cryptic and complex model naming scheme

Not to get all Lynch'ian but the first rule of any investing in any product is 'can you clearly describe whet you are buying and how it differs from similar products'

With Crews- I could not

I understand they range from about 100k to 500k and I can't tell you which models fit where and why, apart from I can name the most desired level pickup model

One of the charms of most MIJ's is the model names have built in notional value descriptions - at least relative ones within a timeframe

A 2006 Brandname BLA140 will be below a BLA200 and above a BLA100

Even with 40 yr old guitars with SOME exception - this scheme works as long as you stay w/in timeframe , and with some consistency - Make

It's amazing how many brands use C for Custom and S for standard

The Crews naming scheme is all caddywumpus, comparatively speaking

14. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

Crews is a small player in the MIJ world but has recently come out with the Deviser-made KTR line and the OSL line. The main variables are the factories (Terada or Deviser), Pickups (Saytone, K&T or non-branded MIJ), wood used and finish. Some are explicitly listed as being weight relieved and in the used market this will not at all be apparent.

There are some great bargains out there from time to time but it is probably better to stick with what you can be sure of if you are unable to find clear specs and descriptions.

4 people like this.
  15. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

Well yes, I think that's prudent advice in any market

It's Peter Lynch 101 - if you can't clearly explain what it is you are buying in a short description and you can't explain why given that info it's a compelling value at the offer - don't buy

Sure, there are opportunity cost issues and fear of missing out (one of the most fiscally ruinous emotional cuts investors face), but you want to keep your upside uncapped while strictly limiting downside risk

16. vegetto_456

vegetto_456 Senior Member

There is something about the KTR guitars that have really caught my attention. I am pretty sure I am going to be getting the Beast with NFS Black beauty along with a tokai LC220S. Those two are what I will be working towards :)

Though I wonder, how much of a difference is there between the LC01 and the Beast? Aside from the pick ups. Anyone have a clue?

17. Ace Warslave

Ace Warslave Senior Member

There is a crews maniac on yahoo but have no clue how to buy it,

with google translation no idea at all...:dunno:

18. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

You need to set up an account with Rinkya, Buyee, From Japan or one of the other services. I'm not sure which one is considered best at present, so you might want to scour the forums and see what others recommend. You will end up paying them a fee, but they do all the legwork for you. :dude:

19. Jock

Jock Senior Member

I think that the Momose in the link is the one approved for Export, they have a different head wood. The ones that we are all buying are not supposed to be exported. I have 2 Momose MLS1 guitars and could not get to grips with the Beanos in either one. Settled on Pearly Gates in one and Seth in the other. Both sound good to my ears.

20. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

Just click on the Buyee link and let them handle it for you. There is one up there for cheap now....