Crews Maniac Sound Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by wulfman, Dec 14, 2013.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

The OS Line is made exclusively by Crews. The KTR Project is a joint effort between Crews, Musicland Key and, to a limited extent, K&T Modern Vintage Guitars. Specs vary from guitar to guitar.

2. villager

villager Senior Member

OS plaintops, 2 piece backs, OSL chambered 2 piece backs, KTR FM59 4A flametops, 1 piece back, 30 year air dried neck wood, K&T PU

FM59J braz board 36 made FM59R non braz board 36 made. sold out..

3. cvrle1

cvrle1 Senior Member

As a James Bond fanatic, I have to step in here. :p

006 was another 00 agent, and not mrs james bond. He had 2 different names (one in the books, and other in the movies) In Ian Fleming book, he was named Major Jack Giddings. In the movie (Goldeneye), he was named Alec Trevelyan :)

Regardless, sweet baby jesus, thats a damn nice guitar too!

1 person likes this.
  4. villager

villager Senior Member

i stand corrected thank you, but for me she will always be mrs bond...

5. AK Epi Player

AK Epi Player Senior Member

These KTR's have had my interest for some time now, and all of this discussion about these PUP's finally got the best of me. Standard #040 got mailed yesterday. :).

Of course, I didn't bother to lift the pics from the shops website in time, and they are already gone :facepalm:. I e-mailed to see if they could send them to me, so maybe tonight.

It is a Honey Tea Burst, with some very nice figuring. Gotta love those Plaintops!

1 person likes this.
  6. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

As a Bond fanatic you are perhaps the only one who understood why I nicknamed mine Fabergé in the post above... :naughty:

[​IMG]

7. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Awesome... our little club is growing! Which series is that #40 from? :hmm:

8. cvrle1

cvrle1 Senior Member

Property of a lady (even though you aint a lady haha) So does this mean you have a fake copy, in case someone tries to steal this one?

Hopefully no clown would try to do that :)

1 person likes this.
  9. AK Epi Player

Thanks! and yes, it is. :)

I "believe" it is from the first run of 144 that they did...?:hmm: Not sure at all, and the pic of the paperwork didn't get forwarded.

Will find out in due time though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sitting here drooling in the meantime! :drool:

2 people like this.
  10. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I'm not positive, but that looks an awful lot like one of the ones I played at the Miki Gakki booth at the Osaka Guitar Show a couple weeks ago... hmm... :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  11. AK Epi Player

Bingo! That's where it came from. :)

How did you like it?

12. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

It looked better in person and played like buttah... actually, playing that one shifted Crews up to the top of the ol' wish list. I had it plugged into an unattenuated Twin Reverb, so I couldn't really crank it like I would've liked... but they are the same pickups that are in the new one I have... which sound equally awesome with some hair on them! I don't think it was from the 144 Series though... I'm not sure it said much about it on the card and the Miki staff kept passing me new guitars to try (love those guys... especially Kaz and Nakai-san) so quite a bit of it is just a blur.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with low output pickups, but one thing to note before you get it... these pickups are EXTREMELY sensitive. If you plug it in and dime all the knobs and hammer out the chords to Proud Mary... its gonna sound like sh!t. I would start with both guitar volumes on 7 and both tones on 5. Then set up the amp the way you like. Starting with a clean channel will give you a better indication of what those bad boys are made of. With the tone pots set on 5... that will be ground zero. The slightest nudge in either direction is gonna alter the tone quite a bit. These are quite low output pickups and made for sensitivity... so they respond better to a VERY light touch. Not that the pots are all that great (they are just too small to be great) it is all in the pickups... Takano is master. They are all hand wound though, so they will vary from set to set as he tunes them by ear... so to speak. I have played that set though... so they are indeed one of the good ones!

Enjoy!!! :dude:

4 people like this.
  13. AK Epi Player

Thanks for all the info above! :thumb: Although reading it over the past few days surely didn't help my GAS, while waiting for the mailman to deliver! That he did at lunchtime today, and I got to spend about 45 minutes after work, unpacking, inspecting and checking it out, and getting to feel what it sounds like. The switch tip was broken, but everything else is good, no cracks, etc. The guitar is beautiful, with only a few traces of previous use. Set up is good (G & B nut slots are too high, but will fix asap), action is low, it feels very nicely balanced overall.

And then there are those PUPs' :wow: I kept it clean like you mentioned, and was rewarded with the most responsiveness I've heard coming from my picking attack, or lack thereof. Very articulate on the lighter notes, and so strong and still clear when hit harder. Hard to explain, but it really is different.
    It kind of reminds me of when you finally play on a Tube amp for the first time, and have that "ah-ha" moment when you realize you can control your top end with just the roll of a volume knob, and have so much better control over your sound than just having everything cranked.

I'm Very pleased on this end, and can't wait to spend more time with it!

3 people like this.
  14. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

HNGD!!! :thumb:
    When you get a chance lets see some more :photos:.

2 people like this.
  15. cvrle1

cvrle1 Senior Member

What he said :D

HNGD for sure!

1 person likes this.
  16. Lumi71

Lumi71 Senior Member

i was under the impression that only the models with an "L" were weight controlled..
    as far as i read (with the translator) the ktr std and ltd are is also weight controlled..

Crews/K&T KTR-LTD

plus i found a ktr ltd with a weigh of 3,3 kg:shock: asked the seller and he confirmed.

17. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I played one of each along side one of the newer LEDs and really didn't notice much of a weight difference. 3.3 kg/7.27 lbs is pretty light though... :hmm:

18. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I played one of each along side one of the newer LEDs and really didn't notice much of a weight difference. 3.3 kg/7.27 lbs is pretty light though... :hmm:

This select is pretty light too...

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.jp/Crews-Maniac-Sound-SELECT07/dp/B0194OMYW4/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1449923566&sr=1-5]Amazon.co.jp[/ame]

19. Lumi71

Lumi71 Senior Member

yery nice one, if only would like quilt tops..

1 person likes this.
  20. Geogeo68

Geogeo68 Member

I'm very interested to get one,
    I've missed the FM59 on Digimart The Villager bought :(

but I'm still hesitate between a Nav NLP and a CMS KTR ltd (better price :D )
    what do you thinking guys?