cracked neck

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by joe19680, Jan 6, 2012.

1. joe19680

joe19680 Senior Member

hello all... havent been on the site in a while... computer troubles and a move but anyway. during the move my neck got cracked. just wondering if its that bad and worth fixing. i dont know anything about neck repairs, never had to have one before. researching local repair shops but looking for any input i can get on this... thanks

Attached Files:

2. gabsonuro

gabsonuro Senior Member

its not that big of a crack but its in a tough position...... it would of been easier if the headstock broke right off... its difficult because you may have to snap it right off to be able to get the glue all the way down and make sure its secured

1 person likes this.
  3. MrGansburg

MrGansburg Senior Member

There's a few threads in the Luthier's Corner on repairing neck breaks (here's one). I would also suggest posting there as you really will get some excellent replies and it'll help you decide if it's possible and worth it and may also provide a rough estimate as to cost.

1 person likes this.
  4. rallygsc

rallygsc Senior Member

Hello Joe19680 and Hello to Everyone on the boards:

I would contact epiphone and see if it is covered under warranty, they offer a limited lifetime warranty on their guitars and you might qualify for service.

Doing a neck repair can be simple and it can be hard, depends on the crack and how bad.

I had an Ibanez ART100 that had a crack between the fretboard and the neck, and what I did was loosened the strings and the truss rod a little, then I used an exacto knife to clean and open the crack a little, then I took a syringe, put glue in it and shot the glue into the crack.

I wrapped the neck with a cloth and used a pair of neck clamps to close the crack, let dry for 48 hours.

then I used some black paint to fill the area up, and covered it with clear polyurethane and wetsanded and polished the area and walla it was good as new.

I am not a luthier, I just learned a lot of this on my own and from the advice from others.

but I would check into the warranty first, if you are not comfortable, find a luthier to do it, but make sure they are a good one, I have seen places like guitar center say they have a luthier and they don't.

also the syringe and such can be purchased at STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Parts, Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Hardware, Tools, Supplies, Free Information other places might have it also.

take care
    George

2 people like this.
  5. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

As to the question "is it worth fixing"? Hell yes! :)

fumblefinger, jlu52, Bandit79 and 3 others like this.
  6. joe19680

joe19680 Senior Member

well the question would be not is it worth fixing but is the repair cost going to weigh out buying new. like i said i have never had to deal with this before... just fishing for some advise from anyone who has... thanks

7. HRC

HRC Senior Member

That looks like a easy one to fix. Go get yourself a bottle of tightbond glue. Open the crack up a little and either use a syringe or something to push the glue into the crack. Clamp it and wipe of excess glue. Wait 24 hours remove clamps and restring her. There's many threads out here with details and pics of neck repairs theat may help you...

8. prossi

prossi Member

My Luthier would fix that for around $60. It would be rock solid. The actual final cost depends on what you do AFTER the repair. You could: 1) sand it semi-smooth, and play it....2) fill the crack with poly and wet sand it very smooth....or 3) strip the neck and re-finish it your self....or 4) have the Luthier re-finish it.

To me, options 1 and 2 are worth it (have done them).... maybe even #3. but not #4.

9. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

Joe...

A couple of questions.

1) Can you move the headstock and open up the crack? Or, does it seem to be "stationary"?

2) I'm in Philly. Depending on where you are in Jersey, you can come over and we can repair it. IT'S DEFINITELY WORTH FIXING!!!

fumblefinger, jlu52 and joe19680 like this.
  10. joe19680

joe19680 Senior Member

thanks for all the help guys... and thank you Phil for the offer... i live about 2 hours from you up north but i have found a place to fix it here... sent them a pic and liked how they explained it to me, what they would do, and an approximate price as well that seemed fair.. just have to save for that now. amazingly she stays in tune and the crack hasnt moved, seems solid. the action has alot to be desired now tho. the reason i want it fixed right and re set up while its in. thanks again everyone.

11. LPBR

LPBR Senior Member

If you are going to do it yourself, I think that all the suggestions about reveal the crack and inject glue into that will surely fix the functional part (your guitar will be good to play after that).

About the finish question, if it would me I would sand it until it become as smooth as new. Then I would remove all the guitar hardware and electrics, protect the whole guitar with plastic and tape, leaving only the back of the neck exposed (including the headstock).

Finally I would bring the guitar to a car repaint garage and would ask for a mate black painting. It shouldn't be expensive and they have all the equipment, environment and know-how for the job. For sure it would be result perfect!

12. HRC

HRC Senior Member

I'd loosen the strings right away.

13. joe19680

joe19680 Senior Member

thats what i did and this is the end result... still not confident myself to fix this... would like to leave it up to a pro...

Attached Files:

14. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

Ok, trust me on this one. That's a really easy fix.

LOOSEN THE TRUSS ROD A FEW TURNS!

First, get some Titebond glue and 2 $5 plastic ratcheting clamps from Home Depot. (NOT Titebond II)

Second, with the crack opened, as in the pic, squeeze enough glue down into the crack. It's going to be a little messy because the glue will flow and come out of the sides of the crack. Make sure all of the damaged area is saturated with the glue. You can use a small paintbrush to help spread it.

Third, strategically clamp the crack with the 2 clamps. One at the nut and one about .5" above the bottom end of the crack. Tighten the clamps, but NOT all the way. Have a damp rag handy to wipe off the excess glue. Set her down and let the glue set up for about an hour or so.

After the glue has sat for an hour, tighten both clamps down . Doing it this way ensures there's glue well within the crack. If you clamped down all the way with the glue still very wet, chances are that you can actually squeeze the glue out and there wouldn't be enough to close the crack, and set to it's full bonding strength.

Clamp it to the clamps maximum, and set her down overnight. Of course, with your damp rag, wipe off any excess glue. The next day, you'll find that the guitar is fixed, but you'll be shocked to know that the crack is now the strongest part of the neck.

String her up, adjust the truss rod, tune her and PLAY her!!!

In case you're wondering, I've done this with my very first Epi Les Paul and she's playing perfectly, and it's been three years now. But mine was a full decapitation! And she's still going strong.

2 people like this.
  15. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

As I said in your other thread, I'd take a shot at doing it myself, and I'd do it exactly as Phildog lays out. I might have a beer while I'm doing it.

1 person likes this.
  16. joe19680

joe19680 Senior Member

okay the more ive read and with the explanation Phil has laid out (THANK YOU!) i am going to give this a try... glad to know not to use the tightbond II, i will use the original... after the fix i would like to strip and oil the neck and do the dulling process as well as other mods... as long as the repair is smooth im not concerned about a scar.. it will give it character... will post up the pics of the progress as they come along... thanks again for the help. glad to be back on line and here where all the knowledge is... totally invaluable!

17. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

I did. A nice cold Corona helped me get it done! LOL

2 people like this.
  18. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

Glad we can be of help. The scar on mine is priceless...MOJO!!! LOL

1 person likes this.
  19. Plank Spanker

Plank Spanker Member

If this were my guitar, and based on the pix, I would confidently undertake to fix it. I've done this repair twice. It's really a matter of care, patience, and attention to detail; there aren't any amazing skills involved. Since "cracked neck repair" info is all over the web, I'm not going to repeat that stuff here. A few tips: alignment and serious clamping to ensure there are no gaps is essential. Choice of glue is important, and opinions vary. If the broken parts fit back together closely, I recommend a quality superglue, as it dries without bulk or expansion. That's what I've used, and the repairs have not budged and are invisible. But if there are gaps, then something like Titebond makes sense, but if you don't do a good fit-and-clamp job, you may find that the glue takes up space and the crack may not be fully closed. There are a lot of guitars out there with funky repairs because of a thick glue layer. I have found color-matching for Les Paul necks to be very easy and would not myself hesitate to sand the fixed area smooth, to stain (or use a wipe on gel stain, which covers better then an absorbed stain), and then either spray or wipe on clear coat. I don't mean to lecture like an expert; I've simply found that doing a careful job can yield great resuts. And many, many of those vintage Les Pauls being played by the rich and famous have had neck cracks fixed once -- sometimes more than that. Good luck! As everyone says -- definitely worth fixing!

20. joe19680

joe19680 Senior Member

i have one worry about this repair. the more i look at how i'm going to squeeze and spread the glue into the cracks, i get the feeling that its going to make its way into the truss rod slot and hinder the function of it. i know i will take care and try to work slowly but at the same time have to work fast enough for the glue to be workable. just a concern. any comments?

have somethings to take care of but will get on this project within a day or 3... pics coming soon.