Counting the Budokans...

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Tenacious T, Jul 30, 2012.

1. XTN

XTN Senior Member

I'd like to see your MSS harness when you get it. Both of you, let me know how the personalization process evolves. Pictures rock. PM me or post publicly.

1 person likes this.
  2. rtcook

rtcook Senior Member

I'll do that when I get it completed. That will be about a week until I get all the parts.

1 person likes this.
  3. 93LPStudio

93LPStudio Senior Member

Yes I'm interested in the MSS harness as well since I still have Not gotten my BB3 with the Jonesyblues BB III harness I installed back from Luthier yet ! I wanna see how it is since my BB3 has Dimarrzio's already as well for comparison. :fingersx:

4. rtcook

rtcook Senior Member

Talked to Grover on the phone about the tuner knob slop issue. Sent them detailed pictures of the issue. From what I can see the ferrel piece that's on the Pearloid knob has a double D hole in it that is too large for the double D shaft. The tension washer only takes up so much regardless of how tight it is. The slop comes from the two mismatched double D fittings. Grover has told me they have identified the problem and have parts in the mail to me to correct the problem. I'll let you know if my theory is correct and if it truly fixes the problem.

My uprade continues. I have the MSSC harness, all the Faber parts and the two additional Dimarzio Super Distortions. Waiting on a few more pieces of harware before I tear into it.

Roger

1 person likes this.
  5. 93LPStudio

93LPStudio Senior Member

Roger, Sounds if that is a fix they might have to send out these parts to a lot of us!

On another note I have installed my complete Faber kit and re-strung with 10-46's. Have not had time to set action or intonation, nor adjust truss rod if necessary, nor pup height, although I did install the correct pup rings. In Cleveland area and going back to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame tomorrow so maybe in a few days when I get home I can get her back in playing condition again!:thumb:

6. XTN

XTN Senior Member

I bought a set of off-the-rack Grover 103c tuners and sadly the white knobs have neither the translucency or the fissure grain either of my Budokans had. Odd. Cheap. I wonder if I can swap things. I wonder if I care.

Tightened the **** out my new tuners and they work ok. Still a smidge of slop which your scientific findings have proven to be a manufacturing issue. Can you call Grover and pretend to be me? Clearly you're good at those things.

I'd love to see some detailed photos of your current D ring issues. PM them to me if you can. If they're big, email 'em. Start a new thread? I'd also love to see what they send you. A set of the 103c tuners? Get ready to complain. Maybe I just got a poorly mixed batch. Or a lets-make-a-price-point batch (aka 'we gotta make these cheaper'). The stock Budokan ones are way nicer looking (same exact size, just not so plastic regular white).

If you go back far enough in the search here you'll see that people reported eBay knuckleheads removing Budokan tuners and selling them for bucks since the old school tuners were not in production at the time.

As they said in my youth "things that make you go 'hmmmmmm'"

Update: Photo!

[​IMG]

XTN

7. rtcook

rtcook Senior Member

Grover is in Cleveland. Stop in and see them.

1 person likes this.
  8. rtcook

rtcook Senior Member

Can't you just swap the buttons?

9. XTN

XTN Senior Member

Haven't looked into that. I was hoping you might tell me where the fitting issue is. If the Budokan buttons were a one-off production run, you never know where the disconnect is. I bought the off-the-shelf ones to swap out the entire thing. We'll see next time I take the strings off. I need to get a full set up so we'll see...

The original buttons look so, so nice. MUCH nicer.

BTW, check out this funny heel/neck. The color difference is much more dramatic in person. It looks like it was taped off carelessly when painted as the wood appears to continue through the pigment changes (as opposed to it being a separate piece). The neck photo doesn't show as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

10. rtcook

rtcook Senior Member

Looks odd. The three neck boards run with the length of the neck. Those are across the grain. I don't think mine is like that, but I will look tonight.

11. XTN

XTN Senior Member

My thought is it's one that slipped out of the factory even though it failed the QC. Other than that and the dead tone pot for the bridge PU, it's flawless. Needs a set up.

I just play it through Rocksmith so anything sounds great. I'm learning.

12. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

I know you could buy the signed Epi Budokan directly from Ace but was it an option to purchase an unsigned version? There is one for sale locally with a numbered COA and the seller says he bought it right from Ace. He says he has two. One signed and one unsigned. It is numbered out of 1000. I thought Ace only had ones not included in the 1000?? Am I right?

1 person likes this.
  13. rtcook

rtcook Senior Member

That's what I understood.

1 person likes this.
  14. rtcook

rtcook Senior Member

Ok. Got the parts from Grover today. They sent me a full set of Pearloid buttons, ferrels/collars, plastic washers, metal washers, friction washers and screws. All I needed were the ferrels/collars. Yes, my diagnosis of the problem was correct. The new ferrels/collars fit tight with no slop. I used all my original parts except the ferrels/collars. The new buttons are not as nice as the originals for sure. The new screws were not nickel either. But, like I said I only needed the ferrel/collar. They work and feel like they are supposed to now. Next, I'm going to swap the 14:1 tuners for 18:1. Grover makes the identical tuner in 18:1. They also make the milk bottle ones in nickel as well. I think these are the more correct tuner, but you may be able to see an impression in the headstock from the originals as the milk bottles have a smaller footprint. So there you have it. Just contact Grover for the correct ferrels/collars and your tuners will be like you want.

1 person likes this.
  15. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

So I wonder what the deal is with this Budokan. Looks legit and comes with the COA. I wonder why the guy said he got it from Ace. He says he has two he got from Ace One signed and one unsigned. COA has a number out of 1000. :hmm:

16. XTN

XTN Senior Member

I, too, remember Ace selling the signed (and played) version for $1799. Knowing Ace's thirst for selling merchandise I would expect him to have a few unsigned ones around.

Ace Frehley* ::* Two Sides of the Coin

For some reason I also remember an unsigned version for $899 - because I remember wanting one.

and then today I saw this:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. musicfan57

musicfan57 Member

So I had a NGD with an Epi tribute plus on 08-29-2015. Unfortunately, it went back
    (buzzing, bad volume knob, case was not right). But for all the Epi
    Budokan owners, I wanted to share my experience comparing the two.

For me, on my amp (EVH 5150iii 50wt thru a Marshall 1960A cab),
    the Budokan killed the Tribute. I was pretty shocked. Of course I know, there
    are probably great Budokans, bad ones, great Tributes and bad ones.
    But comparing the ones I had, the Budokan sustained much better (it's
    still all 100% stock) and the Dimarzio pups sounded much better than
    the Gibson 57s. It really was a night and day difference. Needless to say,
    I love my Budokan and don't see a need to really ever buy another Epi.
    This one does it all. Even the Dimarzio neck pup sounds perfect. I don't
    know what it was, but the 57+ in the bridge just did not sound as
    good as the Dimarzio Super Distortion. I know "good" is very subjective,
    so obviously, just my opinion. It was much louder and clearer. I really
    like it much better than the 57+, at least on the Epi Tribute I had.

I got so lucky getting this Budokan. It was literally months after I had read
    on here that they were sold out. A fluke at Guitar Center, but you could
    find them on their site through a yahoo search, but not if you searched
    their site directly. In January, 2013, all of a sudden, several GC's had
    Budokans. Their site said a local one had one, and I called
    up and asked "Do you really have a Budokan there?" "Yes, I just unboxed
    it myself 2 days ago, it's the best Epi I have ever played" I asked, "Has
    anyone played it? Any scratches??" "Nope, perfect, I don't think it's been
    touched since I unboxed it" "OK IT'S MINE!!" They shipped it right out.

After I bought it for $799, I had read on here that GC was honoring their
    $100 coupons for Epis and called back and they reimbursed me $100.
    So, in January of 2013, I got lucky and bought a brand new Budokan,
    #194 for $699. This will always be my "lottery win". I don't normally
    have "good luck" but I did this time.

Cheers to all Epi Budokan owners, present and future!

4 people like this.
  18. 93LPStudio

93LPStudio Senior Member

I too came after the ship had long sailed on these when new but be it as it may luckily XTN decided to sell a virtually a mint Budokan #185 with everything, case candy and all! Now the first thing that really surprised me is the quality on mine is actually better than my 2014 Gibson Traditional appears to be, and all the cork sniffers take a deep breath here :bowdown. And although I like the 59 Tributes in the Trad the DiMarzio's are hands down much better all around, but I have always like DiMarzio's to begin with. I liked the neck of my BB3 but I have to say the neck on the Budokan is by far the best neck I have ever wrapped my hand around...it's perfect for me. I love the looks of the Budokan's as well, and they are one of the best looking Lester's I have ever seen overall :naughty:. Epiphone really hit the proverbial nail on the head with this one IMO. This IS one that won't be going anywhere! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  19. Starchilduk

Starchilduk Senior Member

I can testify to that 93lpstudio. i was late to the party also. parasite68 helped locate one for me here in the UK. I struck a deal with the seller and now have a mint Budokan. I had a 60s tribute and I do kinda regret selling it as it played like butter, but I do prefer the sound of the DiMarzios. That said I was also lucky to score an Elite this year too. I will not be parting with these two EVER. I would get rid of my spaceman and get a white lightning as the reviews on those are turning both heads and ears. As for the Budokan that is THE Ace guitar that I always associated with him since I bought Alive 2 back in 1979, along with Alive 2 promo posters. Now I have one and am really pleased with it.

2 people like this.
  20. 93LPStudio

93LPStudio Senior Member

The Budokan is seriously one of the best Lester's I've ever encountered and not because I have one. I'm 52 I don't try to impress myself anymore much less anyone else so this isn't one of those cause I got it, it is the best thing since sliced bread kind of things...it really is an amazing piece!

That's when I seen KISS for the first time in early 1979, Judas Priest was opening act! Ace is in concert at the Hard Rock Live Rocksino in Ohio this coming Saturday and I am trying to find someone to go with me to it!:jam:

1 person likes this.